Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Just got my SW-Motech/Trax kit installed

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ultra 
#1 · (Edited)
SW-Motech/Trax kit REVIEW

First of all I must say when I received the box containing all nuts and bolts I was a bit discouraged and was tempted to just put it back in the car and go to a garage to have it installed. Then I thought, ok let's go step by step and see how much I can get done.

2h30 later...both racks were installed (used lock-tight on all 10000 bolts). The only thing I didnt do is use the cable extension to run the turn signals further back. I want the bike to look stock when I take the luggage off.

The quality of the Trax is quite impressive. Haven't rod the bike with them yet, but tomorrow I'll be trying out the kit.

So far the only thing I can nit pick about is the locks (same key for locks that lock the case to the rack and locks that keep the lid closed). You cannot remove the key without locking it. And if you don't lock it you can't close it. Locking the cases on the racks is fine, but for the lid, when you often need to open, it might get annoying.

The quick-release SW-Motech EVO side racks are also top notch and they feel VERY sturdy. It says it can support 20lbs on each side, but feels like it could hold 50lbs no problem, and the quick-release system feels very robust and well thought out. You can take both racks off in about 30 sec literally and the small anchors left on the bike blend right in.

I bought the optional handles (that if you ask me should come included with the luggage). The cases come with waterproof interior bags, though this last version of the Trax is supposed to be 100% waterproof even without the lining.

I'll keep you posted after having used them on the bike!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

Ok so I went for a ride today with the luggage and took out my cam for a few pics. I really LOVE the Trax cases and the SW-Motech EVO rack....but...those locks are simply the crappiest locks I've ever handled (30$ for 6 locks I guess they include 2 extra cause they know they'll break, I suspect they have them made in China for 0.75$ including the double set of keys...). I sent an email to SW-Motech to see if I can upgrade the locks for something that actually works. But those I bought for these cases are hard to use with only one hand (like when your holding something you want to put in the case!). The key is really hard to insert (and I put some Jig-a-Loo in all the locks without much improvement). SW-motech recommends graphite powder (which I don't have) but I doubt it's a lubrication issue as they sucked straight out of the box. Really too bad they made such a nice kit and cut corners when it came to the locks...fingers crossed they will update that system soon. I found other people on the net complaining about the locks, but no solution so far. The seller suggested that I reverse the locks but then they would always be in the unlocked position. So you either can have them locked all the time, or unlocked all the time...which kind of sucks on a 1200$ kit.

#5 ·
Hi there Kawa, could you please post a close pic of the side rack where it attaches to the rear fender part. I'd like to have the same exact setup, but have an aftermarket tail tidy installed. I know it mounts on the original fender too, and just want to be sure that I can make it work . Thanks

#6 ·
2h30 later...both racks were installed (used lock-tight on all 10000 bolts). The only thing I didnt do is use the cable extension to run the turn signals further back. I want the bike to look stock when I take the luggage off.
Looking pretty sweet. If you want to increase the visibility of the turn signals without relocating them, you could add additional lighting to the Trax cases, such as the LED's here. I saw them in action at a show two years ago, and they are bright.

Dave C

#7 ·
Finished installing the same setup and also very pleased with the result. No relocation of the turn signals either, but I added the admore led strips for extra visibility( those turn signals quite tucked in ). Drilling 2 holes into a brand new alubox made me a little uncomfortable , but still my favourite option.
I must add that the cases mounted, interferes with the passenger footpegs big time. So I had the motowerk lowering link which actually makes it worse because although it lowers but also places is further back. I just ended up switching the 2 sides ,left peg to right side , which gave enough clearance. This way the peg lowered less but placed towards the front. Overall a good day, can't wait to hit the road....ides of March.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.