Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

CMS brand for helmet...any opinion?

9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just wanted to ask if anyone have an idea about the helmet brand called CMS (Portugal). This is the info I got on the internet:

http://www.cms-helmets.com/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/cms-helmet/

The thing is that I found one which is among the very few helmets that fit me (I have a quiet long face so my chin is always sticking out! :D) while being very light (carbon fiber) and comfortable and certified ECE 22.05. the price is around 135 USD....from the price you could think that I should not be expecting a high quality and 5 stars safer...but still it is certified and the price is not the main drive, it is really the fact that it fit very well and that it is very light... so your views are needed and thanks in advance :)

#2 · (Edited)
My experience with helmets is that you get a considerably better helmet, better fit, better venting, better Visor when you go up in price, I would definitely check out the Shoei Quest and Bell RS-1 for comparison. Shoei makes good helmets for those with a rounder head. Scorpion make great helmets in the lower end of the market.

If your chin sticks out it is going to be noisy and you'll get a cold chin in cooler weather.

#3 ·
Get the BEST you can Afford

I do trackdays so I have decided to listen to the pros. GET THE BEST SAFTEY EQUIPTMENT YOU CAN AFFORD! Then upgrade as you can afford.

Now usually best, always goes up in price. But there are some great products out there that you can afford.

Helments..... Shoei, Arai, Bell, HJC, all make helments that are DOT and SNELL certified.

I just bought my first, (and last)Scorpion helmet. Going back to Shoei. Quality and noise issues. I would not recommend.

Good luck with you search. I never heard of the brand you are looking at.
Don't go cheap. It's not worth it.

#4 ·
I do trackdays so I have decided to listen to the pros. GET THE BEST SAFTEY EQUIPTMENT YOU CAN AFFORD! Then upgrade as you can afford.

Now usually best, always goes up in price. But there are some great products out there that you can afford.

Helments..... Shoei, Arai, Bell, HJC, all make helments that are DOT and SNELL certified.

I just bought my first, (and last)Scorpion helmet. Going back to Shoei. Quality and noise issues. I would not recommend.

Good luck with you search. I never heard of the brand you are looking at.
Don't go cheap. It's not worth it.
Thanks!

Actually it is not that I'm going cheap, the price is actually the worry factor I have in this helmet I found. My problem as I said is that for other brands I tried in the shops (HJC, caberg Bell, AGV, etc for a price starting from 380 USD) their design is such that my chin always sticks out and some of them were heavier (1650g while the CMS is only 1420g)...this CMS one really fits me so well and covers my chin as well so that's why I liked it... I was worried about the low price that's all...even though ECR 22.5 is a the safety reference in Europe and surrounding areas...it is also made out of poly-carbon hence the light weight...
Anyway I will continue searching for the high end market helmets and hope that it will fit my head shape (price is not an issue)...

#6 ·
AGV offer

Guys,

I found this interesting offer...seems ok with my weird head shape :D, the only question is that this is designed for race track, do you think that it is fine for a long road trip? I assume that race track feautures most available saftety stuffs and just wanted a final second opinion before I pull the trigger and get this AGV one ;)

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...ts/AGV-T2-Titan/SubProducts/AGV-T2-Titan-0001

#8 ·
I find it hard to believe that the basis for a good helmet is a higher price. There are a lot of good helmets for $100 or less. The important things to look for a helmet is the fit when you wear it and that it is DOT or Snell certified. Just my 2 cents.

:cheers:

#9 ·
Usually what more expensive helmets get you is better aerodynamics (reducing buffeting), lighter weight (reducing fatigue), and less wind noise (except for the race helmets which priorities venting over sound reduction).

This 135USD carbon helmet might be great, but I'd certainly want to see reviews before buying and see how much it really weighs...cause the slightest difference in weight will show on long rides specially if theres a bit more buffeting...

#12 ·
well I tried it and it is REALLY LIGHT ( and I wear XL!), on the back of it it says 1400 grams, the visor is also made of out polycarbonate, easy to clean and to remove. the strap how ever is not the double D. it has vents on the top, at the back and at the chin...

#10 · (Edited)
Just wanted to ask if anyone have an idea about the helmet brand called CMS (Portugal).
Hi Purificator,

I'm from Portugal... I actually don't have a CMS, but some of my ridding buddies have them and they're quite pleased... The word is, they're good quality helmets at an affordable price.

The factory is located in a region with long tradition in the (Portuguese) motorcycle industry... As we understand, CMS flooded the market (worldwide) with good quality helmets at reasonable prices to... Well, as a relatively new company, to make a stand in the market... Standard marketing procedure, I guess.

I have no commission whatsoever in CMS sales, just my 2 cents...:p :p

Cheers

PS: Why don't I own a CMS, you may ask?... Well, I like flip-up helmets and they're models really don't appeal to me.

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply and don't worry I don't think you have shares i CMS company or that you are defending your country product. the shop that I visited had also flip up helmets which I found very very good, the thing is that I never trust flip up helmets that why I looked for the integral.
You hardly find in Europe DOT or SNELL, it is mainly ECR22.05 which is also the top safety standard in Europe I think...

#14 ·
It passed ECE 22.05, which should allay most safety concerns. I understand your reservations on price; my first helmet cost me $130 and was terrible, mostly because of poor ventilation design and cheap padding that collapsed within months. However, many people have had great experiences with low-end helmets, and for that sort of money, and the issue you're having with fit, I think it's definitely worth trying. Think of it this way: manufacturers recommend replacing a helmet after five years of use. If you hate it after a year, consider $135 a year's amortization of a $700 helmet (or 16 months of a $500 lid)

#15 ·
I guess you are right as my primary concern in a helmet is safety...when it passes the standards, there is though 1 to 5 stars rating in terms of safety?
Anyhow, this is how I look at it now:
price: worth a try
safety: passed the standard tests
comfort: I tried it in the shop and it felt comfy. now the test of the road is another story
noise: earplugs...
vents: it has vents in the same design as those you find in AGV and bells I think
strap: not double D but I will always make it firm
visor: easily interchangeable, made out of polycarbonate as well with different levels of settings
weight: 1400g!! polycarbonate!!
look: awesome!
Removable and washable interior

so...:D

#16 ·
If price is a non issue get an Arai. Each model is built to fit a specific head shape - only one of their models will fit your head but it will fit really, really well. You can also customize the padding in the helmet to further refine the fit. IMO they are the BMW of helmets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.