Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hooked

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Capn Kirk 
#1 · (Edited)
Middle aged, married, long time rider.
Well, I went and looked at a used 2008 Versys last week. Once out of the guy's driveway, I slowly rolled through the gears, and instantly fell for the engine characteristics. After a few miles, I almost considered taking my hands off the bars, and just letting the bike steer itself. Damn this thing was easy to ride. I passed on that particular bike, but I'm in the hunt.

Just noticed my join date....took me over three years to make a post....lol

#2 ·
:welcome: and good luck with your hunt. The Versys is one fine motorcycle. I'm officially upper middle age and love my '08 Versys for all around, wide-grin, fun on two wheels. :thumb:

When I wish to present a more age-appropriate image (if that's possible) I haul out my '93 BMW K75S - a gentleman's motorcycle - though its nowhere near as much wide-grin fun as the V. Civilized and elegant, yes, but it can't compete in the smile factor category.

#3 ·
Thanks.
I still have my big metric cruiser for lazy Sundays, and some dirt bikes buried in the back of the garage. Sold off most of the herd over the past couple of years (sport bikes, dual sports, standards) and have had the Versys in the back of my mind since it came to the US in 2008.
My big dilemma now is I haven't seen the 2012 colors up close. Afraid to make arrangements on the Metallic Black Spark because all I can picture in my head is a two-wheeled bass boat. Anyone know if the 'spark' is that noticeable? I'd ask in the regular forums but, as a new poster, I'm not permitted to post for 48 hours.

#7 · (Edited)
My big dilemma now is I haven't seen the 2012 colors up close. Afraid to make arrangements on the Metallic Black Spark because all I can picture in my head is a two-wheeled bass boat. Anyone know if the 'spark' is that noticeable?
Rick,

A two wheeled bass boat, huh? I like that!! Reminds me of my brother-in-law and his candy red sparkly bassboat. Apparently the fish really like that sort of thing. No accounting for taste. :D

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have the Black Spark version on the floor, and doesn't know when one might come in. I'm not a fan of dark colors and much prefer bright red or yellow (or even green in a pinch) as I think it improves the chances of being noticed just a little more likely. Then again, even being on fire and trailing fifty foot flames doesn't seem to help much when in the sights of someone texting, putting on makeup or gobbling down their McBurger. :eek:

#5 ·
:welcome:

For an excellent bike may I suggest Capn Kirk's black 2010 V. I have this same bike and its perfect! I love mine! I do hate to see Capn Kirk move on as he is an awesome guy and great part of this forum. :thumb:

#6 ·
I chose the versys over many other bikes. My only negative is having the chain drive. Just doesn't go well with long distance riding IMO. Having to constantly lube and clean and adjust the chain on my big trip this summer was a PTA. When my neighbor is ready to buy the bike I will probably move to the Super Tenere or Tiger Explorer. It will probably be another 3 years though so long adventures are going to be on one of my other bikes until then.

#8 ·
You have a very good point! A dude I ran into at Moab said the same thing. He had a Super Tenere and loved it. He wanted the V and the lighter lbs, but it was that exact issue that drew him to the ST. The new KTM 1190 is chain drive also. :eek:

#10 ·
Well, the deed is done. Picked up a black 2012 this afternoon at the dealership about 80 miles away. Brought it home in my truck, and was way past dark when I got here. Unloaded it directly into the garage. Will poke around on it tomorrow.

:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.