Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Help me select a 4 season touring jacket

6K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Turnbud 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to replace my touring jacket. Soliciting input in the hopes some of you can suggest possible alternatives. Currently considering another Olympia AST or the Teiz Navigator or maybe the Rev'It Horizon or other possible alternatives. Currently only familiar with the Olympia AST and Tourmaster Transition. Would also possibly consider solid leather too.

Requirements:
- good abrasion resistance and crash protection, 500D Cordura or similar in the shell, and heavy Cordura, leather, kevlar patchs on the strike points. No polyester or lightweight nylon used in external shell. Heavy seam construction and placement away for common strike points. Good quality armor that provides full coverage.

- will primarily be used from 72F to 32F. Excellent wind resistance and full sleeve insulated liner. Should be warm enough to wear on extended rides down to 50F on it's own, and extended rides down to 32F with my Gerbings heated liner.

- some venting capability for milder weather

- adjustable fit as I will be layering under this

- preferably less than $450

- fits North American body type, not too slim fitting

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
X 2! In my experience you can ride MUCH warmer than 80F in the Kilimanjaro with the jacket liner out and all vents open, UNTIL you stop. So - GREAT on a long HOT trip.

My Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner goes in when it's cold.

BTW - watch sales, and you can usually buy "last year's model" for around $150. BUT - they fit BIG. I have THREE - one is L (TOO big for me, 5'10", 175#), and TWO Ms (one each AZ and BC).

:goodidea:

#6 · (Edited)
The Rev'it! Horizon jacket is really awesome and for the price I don't think you can find anything as well built as it. It looks good too. I returned mine simply cause it didnt fit me well, I'm tall and slim but with somewhat wide shoulders. But if it fits you, you'll love it. I ended up buying a Rukka jacket cause it's the only brand that fits me, but I would have saved a lot of money and had vents if the Horizon had fit. One size looked awesome but it fit too tightly, the next size was too large. But who knows it might fit you like a glove.

I ordered mine from Blackfoot:
http://www.blackfootdirect.com/t-RevitSizingChart.aspx

#12 ·
Get an Olympia AST and never look back. I'm on my 5th winter with mine and love it. The only layer I wear under it is a fleece for the real cold days and I'm never, ever, ever cold or wet, EVER. And that's year round up north. ;-)

#15 · (Edited)
After doing some comparison shopping, if I do get another jacket at this point I will probably get an AST 2. It is not perfect but for the price it is hard to beat for a textile touring/commuting jacket. Have not had water proof issues with my AST ver 1. There are nicer alternatives like the Goretex, Klim Latitude, but I'm not riding long distances frequently enough to justify the extra cost.

I phoned Olympia to see if I could get some 2000D Cordura to try and repair my existing jacket - crashed in it which is why I am looking for another jacket. Only the elbow/forearm patch is damaged from the accident. They (spoke with owner Kevin Rhea) offered to send me some material free of charge although it has not arrived yet. The whole patch needs replacement though and the underlying waterproof layer needs fixing too which will require taking the sleeve completely apart. Will go this route if the labor estimate from the tailor makes it economically viable.

Update: the labor cost to have the elbow/fore arm patch repaired is $180 so will be scraping jacket as this is 50% of new price.

#18 ·
I've started to look at motoport gear. They get a lot of great reviews over at ADV.

I just ordered the Aero-tex rain jacket because they are the only company I found that will make a waterproof breathable rain jacket in Hi-Vis. Since they make the jackets themselves I was able to get the entire jacket in Hi-Vis.

Their Cordura and their Kevlar jackets come highly recommended and when they say waterproof they guarantee it.

They also will repair a crashed jacket and if they can't repair it they will replace it.

I figured I would start with the rain jacket since I already have other gear and if I am impressed I will eventually move to other items they sell.

www.motoport.com

#20 ·
I'm a huge fan of the driRider Ralley Cross Pro jacket i'm on my second one now and only because I wanted a cleaner looking one for Road use only during winter.

Its got a zip out thermal waterproof jacket liner,
hard plastic armour on the elbows and shoulders
a large back pocket for plastic pants etc
2 litre camel back intergrated
made from the hardest wearing balistic nylon mesh known to man
breathes like a open window when the inner liner has been removed.
Zip off sleeves.

I have also added into the back of mine a Dainese Back plate
They are next to impossible to destroy, warm as toast in a blizzard and breezy cool in the summer.
Come in Blue, Red, Black, Silver

Attachments

#21 ·
+1 for the Mercury jacket. My two complaints would be the collar doesn't fasten as securely as I'd like (I beefed up the Velcro and its fine now) and the front panel isn't black and shows dirt easily. It's always warm and the liner is amazing. I wash it in tech wash once in a while to keep it waterproof (jacket is 8 yrs old) its still my fav.

#22 ·
I've since purchased a second Olympia AST 2. It seems very slightly improved from the AST version 1 I previously owned. Purchased from Mark's Moto Gear.

Only issue was Canada customs decided to charge me $58 duty this time, guess because of the made in China label. They have never done this before to me.

#23 ·
I picked up a Rev-It Tornado jacket and pants (silver) last summer, so far love it. It is a more fully vented (mesh) style with an insulated waterproof liner. I especially hate baking in the summer, so that was my prime consideration. With appropriate underclothes it is still quite good down close to the freezing point, or with a heated vest (which I don't own) it would be even better.

I look at some of the so called all weather jackets and the little triangular vents they offer, and see myself sweating to death in 30C+ days when I have to stop in traffic on my commute home from work. I have such a jacket as well(Fieldsheer), and the venting doesn't do very much, albeit it is black!

Anyhoo, the Tornado is great, looks good, very comfy. Only criticism is the lame back protector - needs a real one installed aftermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.