Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Poor engineering of the ignition switch placement

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  outdoorgb 
#1 ·
I've only owned the bike for a couple day and so far I've enjoyed the experience. However, who on earth thought it was a god idea to design the placement of the ignition switch so far below the handlebar stalk? I mean without turning the handlebars far to the right can I reach for and turn the damn key with a pair of heavy winter gloves on? Geez! I guess I'll have to change my habits and fire up the ignition, then put my right hand glove on! OR! get my 5 YO niece to turn the key for me overtime!

:badidea:

#3 ·
1st world problem... put the key in before you get on bike = problem solved

BTW - ignition is in same position like on most bike securely to top top tripple... the problem with adventure and dual sports tourers with an upright riding position is that the handles bars are raised and this hides the ignition.

#6 · (Edited)
get one then, they dont cost much just have to wire it in, you will still need a main power on/off somewere tho. you could get a power mains cut off switch, install in near the side of the seat and leave the ignition key in and on all the time and just use the mains cut off as your key for your on/off

or you could also try slimming down what all you have on your keychain (you should never put a bunch of keys on a bike keyring to reduce wear on the key cylinder. (trust me you dont want it going out, been there done that and it ****ing sucked!)
you could also just go crazy and extend your ignition key so it reaches longer then the riser... tho then it would be awkward to have in your pocket :)

and as for locking push the key IN and turn it and push your bars about an inch or two from full lock to the left and it should lock nice and easy, (might wanna WD40 the hell out of the stearing lock if it isnt moving smoothly)

#13 ·
What's the next complaint....the serious lack of coffee cup holders?
Sheesh.
I added an aftermarket cup holder to my Versys but the breeze cools my coffee too fast and in the corners the coffee slops out of the little hole in the lid, creating unsightly stains on the triple tree. Plus, when I try to drink my coffee while riding, it dribbles down the outside of my helmet's chin bar. Clearly there are design flaws on multiple counts. Those who are interested in joining my class-action lawsuits against Kawasaki, Bell, Starbucks and Shanghai Plastic Cheap ****, Inc. (manufacturer of the coffee cup lids) should contact me via PM.

#12 ·
Never have I had a problem with the key.....
Now when I take my dads cruiser out, I hate the key being down under the seat on the side. I may have accidentally left the key in the on position before and killed the battery......

#14 ·
Did someone say cup holders ?????

#21 ·
Never mind the cupholders.

I'm still disappointed by the poor selection of snow tires available at my local Kawasaki dealership. Every time I call, they've 'just sold the last pair" or "the truck should be here next week with the new shipment" or some other excuse.

I'm starting to think they're just shinin' me on...

And the heater is just not up to the task. And the Air Conditioning is a waste of money.

Next bike I get, I'm not checking those Options. Shouldn't have done it this time, I swear the whole form was written in red crayon, but they told me no, that's the way they do it here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.