Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys 1000 LT reviews

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  RVerde 
#1 ·
I spent a week on a Versys 1000 LT and wrote up a couple of reviews, for RevZilla and on my own site, if anyone is interested. Bottom line: I was favorably impressed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is the Versys 1000 without the LT package available in Australia?

I assume Kawasaki has some market research to guide them, but I wonder sometimes why they do things like bring only the LT to the U.S. and only the non-LT to Australia (assuming I have that right).

#7 ·
Well, that won't exactly make it a BMW, but it is a great bike for the money.

My $7 throttle lock isn't exactly cruise control, there's no XM flowing thru fairing mounted speakers, the tiny screen can't be raised electronically, no heated seats or grips, no keyless remotes, and not even a shift indicator. There is a chain that requires a lot of maintenance, regular time consuming valve clearance checks/adjustments, and front brake rotors that warped in under 15k miles of use.

OTOH, its lighter and faster than many beemers. And they give them away for next to nothing. I'm seeing 2015s online now selling for $10,799. Unbelievable bang for the buck.

#5 ·
I'd be more likely to buy the Ninja 1000, which has the same engine and saddlebags and no need to lower it. But that's just personal preference. I think I'm in the minority. It certainly seems most people these days prefer these upright sport-touring bikes that have adventure-tourer ergonomics but no compromises for off-road use.

#8 ·
I thought about the 1000 when I was buying, but the added weight and extra cost put me back to the 650. I've been happy with the 650. It's a little tall and top heavy compared to my previous bikes but it's just fine once moving.

What I really liked about the 1000: the seat was pretty darn good for an OEM and when I sat on the bike everything was right where it needed to be. I've never sat on a bike that was so ergonomically correct for me (the 650 is almost as good).

#11 ·
Thanks for the positive comments, Rob. I wouldn't cheerlead for the Versys if it didn't deserve it.

I have considered replacing my 650, but I'm not sold on anything else that's available right now. I would like ABS and I would like a slightly sportier riding position (I'd lower the handlebar on my Versys except for the fairing being in the way). I've given up hoping someone will build the lightweight sport-touring bike I want, so I'm doing fine with the one I built myself. I realized this year that this is the longest I've ever gone without buying or selling a motorcycle. I've been 5.5 years with the same three in the stable. I must have finally reached the stable, mature stage of life. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.