Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Tyre/tire advice please

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BKP 
#1 ·
So, after doing several back wheel skids while braking & changing down simultaneously (controlled!) I think it's time l move away from Pilots because they aren't cheap & don't last very long!

I'm thinking I will forgo pure sporty riding for something that will be adequate to get me around bends quickly, yet allow me to wander onto the gravel when necessary & also be relatively cheap & long lasting.

#4 · (Edited)
Thnx for the info guys, those Trailriders look interesting, & they get good write ups in Cyclerider & on this interesting web site that l found, it also gives you rental prices for bikes in Scotland of all places if anyone has deferred their visit to Paris & is looking for a safer alternative!>:)

Prices start at around $600 a week for an F800, & they seem to have a good array of BMW's to choose from..(no l'm not affiliated to them!)

Rated - Avon Trailrider Tyre - Brake Magazine

#7 ·
It's easy to lighten the rear of the V under heavy braking due to front end dive. And the rear brake is as numb feeling as they get. I use the same tire on all my bikes and when I'm careless, the V is the only one I skid the rear tire on. Once it happens I shine up my technique.

Maybe it's not the tires.

#11 ·
Are these Pilot Powers, or Power Roads?
I've been using PR2s, 3s, and now 4s for years, and have *never* had a back end skid or washout while there was still tread on the tire, and it was still round (any squared off rear can come out from under you with the slightest lean, since you'r basically riding on a narrow ridge). I've averaged 11k miles on each set...
For dual purpose, I've heard good things about both Shinko and Metzler... The stocker Roadsmart IIs aren't terrible for fire trails / gravel and easy twisties (I found them to be less than confidence inspiring on serious twisties)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.