"Motorcycle of the Year" - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Garage
I've been riding for years on all kinds of bikes and when I rode this bike for the first time I said "O.K. this puppy is speacial...not just me been jonesing for a new bike". Well it's confirmed! V-riders....know how to pick a winner! later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Boy we have good taste in motorcycles!

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM

I espcially like the coloring outside the lines comment. I think that's very true of many Versys owners. We don't seem to run with the "normal" crowd.

post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Great News I thought it was a Winner the first time I laid eyes on it. This just confirms my GREAT TASTE

I too hope this doesn't mean every body runs out and buys one - kind of like having something "DIFFERENT". This will just give us something to mention, when we're asked, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesplitter View Post
I espcially like the coloring outside the lines comment. I think that's very true of many Versys owners. We don't seem to run with the "normal" crowd.
I couldnt agree with you more lanesplitter

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 PM

It has to be said:

"great minds think alike!"
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 PM

Still awaiting my first Versys, but ALL the research and test rides told me the exact same as what they said! Makes me happy I know my motorcycles!!!!!

1998 "Original" R1
1999 "Streetfighter" R1
2009 Versys (Deposit down, coming soon!)

Viva Colombiaaaa!
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 PM

I guess the dealers will have a field day now, glad I got mine early. Bet they get moved closer to the front instead of stuck in the back, along the wall, over by the dirt bikes.... I guess the secret is out... Its a Proud Sad Day indeed

Last edited by lowflyer43; 07-24-2008 at 11:52 PM.
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM

My dealer asked me a couple weeks ago, how I was liking my V, seems he has come around to ordering some. He never believed in it and didn't order any last year, while all his ninja gxrs sit in the shop. I just wanted to say, "Told you so, should have got some in would be selling like hotcakes".

I purchased my V October 2007 sight unseen (other than mags) 2 states from home, caught a bus for over 20 hours and picked up my new V in rain showers and rode it home with a big smile on my face the whole way!

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM

While owning a 2001 Goldwing for 4 years, would test ride other bikes occasionally. The Versys was the first one that I liked as well as the Wing.
post #31 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Fantastic news...going out to buy the issue right now!
post #32 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
This is good news, this bike deserves that title without a doubt in my mind.
However... let's hope that this doesn't put the Versys in the "everyone and their moms gotta have one" margin. I love my bike, and I'd have high respect for any other Versys riders, but I don't want it to become the new Ninja in that respect...
Won't be a problem. I still see idiots recommending things like VTX1800's when newbies ask what their first bike should be, "so you can keep up with traffic!" We Americans remain clueless as to the whole displacement thing, even while $4/gallon gas is driving the SUV dinosaurs into extinction. Anyway, the big cruisers and sportbikes with capabilities that their owners will never approach using will remain market leaders for some time.
post #33 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Not a surprise to usNow maybe the aftermarket over here will get in gear.This bike is going to take off as the word is getting out

"They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they're all the same."
post #34 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer43 View Post
I guess the dealers will have a field day now, glad I got mine early. Bet they get moved closer to the front instead of stuck in the back, along the wall, over by the dirt bikes.... I guess the secret is out... Its a Proud Sad Day indeed
That's funny because that's exactly how the local dealer here (Carter) had them. All the way in the back corner next to a lonely Wee-Strom. It was literally blocked by a wall, staircase and a cubicle (no joking).

Just find it funny too that I'm sure you'll see them(what few ones they get in) moved to the front and the sales people still won't know a thing about them.
post #35 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 AM
cls

I've had dozens of bikes of all kinds over the years, as well. It's amazing how the V really seems to impress those w/the most experience. OTOH, don't trash the RR bikes. I still love 'em. It's just a very different bike. Nothing wrong w/that. I like to ride 'em all.
post #36 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
That's funny because that's exactly how the local dealer here (Carter) had them. All the way in the back corner next to a lonely Wee-Strom. It was literally blocked by a wall, staircase and a cubicle (no joking).

Just find it funny too that I'm sure you'll see them(what few ones they get in) moved to the front and the sales people still won't know a thing about them.
That was how I found my V also. I went to check out the V and the KLR650 and they only had the one V. It was way back in a corner with two "Wee-Strom's" blocking it's view. Even after I showed interest in the V the dealer still asked me if I liked the "Wee-Strom". I guess I need to go pay him a visit and make sure he has a copy of the article.
post #37 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
That was how I found my V also. I went to check out the V and the KLR650 and they only had the one V. It was way back in a corner with two "Wee-Strom's" blocking it's view. Even after I showed interest in the V the dealer still asked me if I liked the "Wee-Strom". I guess I need to go pay him a visit and make sure he has a copy of the article.
+1 Naturally, I couldn't just leave her in those conditions...so I quickly signed the adoption papers and patiently waited while the staff literally moved half of their inventory to get her out of her corner!
post #38 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Motorcyclist Magazine (Sept.)

Anybody found the new issue of Motorcyclist yet? I have a subscription, but it's always on the news stand before I get mine.

'16 Versys 650
post #39 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I've called around to a few places and they say to look around the beginning of next month. They all have the August issues still on the shelves. As soon as I read the press release and saw the cover, I was calling around to find a copy.

I can't wait to read it. Just as an FYI, Rider magazine also had it in the running for their Motorcycle of the year as well but the Concours 14 won. This bike's getting all kinds of recognition and I'm sure it'll be just like other standards of old, it'll be a great bike that only people in the know grab up.

As long as everyone out there clamors to get the newest GSXR and Harley "FXLTZYMNTOPPF-Night Ranger Sister Christian", I'm sure this bike will fall into the category of best kept secret.

Last edited by Enemy Zero; 07-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
post #40 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 06:35 PM

I'm not in the know and I bought one! This is my first bike. I read a first ride article about it when I was looking at buying an HD Sportster, but with the price and features it just made way more sense. The only negative is the lack of aftermarket addons. Although it is probably just as well, since now I can only spend so much adding stuff. After a few weekends on the twisties and commuting to work I know I made the right choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode