Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gear indicator and LED driving lights

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  kebrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Kawasaki accessories - Gear indicator and LED driving lights

I am ready to pull the trigger on an orange 2015 Versys 1K. Just wanted to ask the current owners, their opinion on the following:

LED light bar: http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/KLZ1000BFFA/999940487
I always install driving lights on all my bikes, helps light up the road plus it makes me more visible to the cagers. Has anyone installed these and what are your impressions?

Gear indicator: http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/KLZ1000BFFA/999940467
Does the bike have a built in gear indicator in the dash panel? If not, does this accessory work well? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I am not a huge fan of the price tags for OEM accessories like those, but these are very clean and look real easy to install.

#3 · (Edited)
I hear you and I am going to buy them simply for two reasons - I get a decent racers discount on everything from my local dealer and secondly, I prefer OEM accessories for a cleaner, integrated look.

#4 ·
I've got a 650 2015 with both accessories. As far as I know there aren't any differences between those on the 1000.

I really love the gear indicator. No "searching" for gears or having to remember what gear you're in. It's the normal aftermarket indicator though. So it doesn't get the gears directly but calculates them from speed and RPM. It's pretty quick though and can tell if you're in neutral.

The lights look nice, but I couldn't test them out in the dark yet. They're bright though. But since they're LED it's a different color from the main headlights.

#5 ·
I would agree that all OEM parts are way overpriced. You can usually get aftermarket parts that are the same, similar, or better for less money. I understand the appeal of OEM, but they take advantage of you just because it says Kawasaki. That being said....I would do the gear indicator if you really think you need it because its not much more than the aftermarket ones and looks better.

#6 ·
I missed the Gear indicator for about a week... only because I've had one on previous bikes and cages.. You soon get to know the feel. That and the thing pulls like a train from 2500 rpm any way :)

#9 ·
ha ha ha, glad you are enjoying it!

I also received the oem driving lights and the gear indicator today, the lights look really nice. I ordered the parts through powersportswarehouse.com, after checking many online parts dealers, they were the cheapest by far. The lights were approx $100+ cheaper, they charge for delivery but was pretty reasonably priced
Thanks for the website link, their prices indeed are good.

#7 ·
I also received the oem driving lights and the gear indicator today, the lights look really nice. I ordered the parts through powersportswarehouse.com, after checking many online parts dealers, they were the cheapest by far. The lights were approx $100+ cheaper, they charge for delivery but was pretty reasonably priced

#8 ·
After looking cloesly at the oem gear indicator. IMO nice build/quality, however I will have to agree with the motorcycle.com reviewer in that it does look like an afterthought once mounted. Almost looks like one of those stick on led clocks, well as long as it works.

#10 ·
OEM LED Lights / parts are more often covered (insurance) should they get damaged in a fall. I think I'll order them from Kawi too as the aftermarket ones don't seem to last, even thought they are not switched on so often. I think the twin cylinders are giving off too much vibrations as the Capacitor and LED lens were snapped off.

#13 ·
Here is mine, a morning picture from last week. To be honest, I am not very impressed with the brightness as they are about 30-40% less bright than the OEM lights i had on my Multistrada and also the Denalis that a friend has on his BMW 12GS. I use them day or night though, as they make me more visible to cagers.

#16 ·
I have the gear indicator and it is frustrating because it goes blank when you pull the clutch in. So if you dont remember to look at it before pulling the clutch in, its no use.

The light bar is very nice looking but I can not find what the wattage or luminance the LED lights are. Anyone know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.