Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom

Hello all, I would like to hear your comments . I have owned 2 versys in the past. A 08 and a 09. Then went to a cruiser. Now thinking I want the new 650lt. Also thinking about the Yamaha FJ 09. Something about that inline 3 . What's yalls thoughts on the two? I'm 5'10'' and 250 lbs . I know the versys is a well capable machine since I have owned 2 of them. Thanks

Last edited by onewizard; 12-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 AM

The FJ sounds like a great bike....almost like Yamaha has been spying on this forum and come up with a V with more power/torque, led lights, handguards, abs and poweroutlet standard at a nice price.

The reviewer in this link is a Versys fans and was quite impressed:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...-09-first-ride

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Some reviews of the Yam say it needs $1500 worth of suspension work to be OK....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Some reviews of the Yam say it needs $1500 worth of suspension work to be OK....
That is definitly true of the FZ-09 but they've addressed the ping-pong suspension for the FJ-09 and the discriptions say it is much improved. I sat on an FZ not long ago and was appalled at the squishy suspension.

post #5 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I was bored one night and visited the FJ-09 forums... I was appalled to read so many problems with the bike. More problems than answers - unlike the Versys.
post #6 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 PM

I think the 650LT will be hard to beat. $8700.00 WITH bags, hand guards, ABS, lowered pegs, they are moved forward some as well, And the seat is recontoured I was told. Plus the wind shield now has a couple of knobs to let you adjust it and the upgraded suspension and frame and wheels being stronger plus a few more ponys than last year....If I did not have a ton in my 2012 I'd buy one!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 12-30-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #7 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I was bored one night and visited the FJ-09 forums... I was appalled to read so many problems with the bike. More problems than answers - unlike the Versys.
are we talking genuine PROBLEMS, or just complaints? big difference between the 2 in my mind. I'm not terribly surprised it's having some teething issues. even when it was introduced in 2009 the V was based of an existing engine and bike so a lot of the issues had already been resolved. the FZ and FJ are brand new from the ground up.
post #8 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 PM

If you like 3rd gear power wheelies, the fj will be the way to go. I had a fz-09 for about 3000 miles.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #9 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
If you like 3rd gear power wheelies, the fj will be the way to go. I had a fz-09 for about 3000 miles.
how did you like it?
post #10 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:17 AM

I loved the engine, hated the suspension. It had the power to weight of a 600 supersport, but made 20 more ft lbs. of torque. That thing would wheelie 1st, 2nd, and third will just a twist of the throttle. It was a lot of fun in a straight line. However, trying to ride the bike aggressively was perilous to say the least. The engine would over power the suspension very quickly in the turns. I could not justify spending over $1500 to bring the suspension up to par on a $8,000 motorcycle. But the engine is a work of art.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #11 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
The US just got the bike within the last month and there aren't a lot of people on them yet. Please share the site where you've seen the problems so we can be informed. This seems to be the most popular US forum and no one has mentioned issues:

http://fj-09.org/forum

post #12 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
...when it was introduced in 2009 the V was based of an existing engine and bike ....
2008 here in the US; 2007 in Canada; 2006 in the rest of the world (?).

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I think the 650LT will be hard to beat. $8700.00 WITH bags, hand guards, ABS, lowered pegs, they are moved forward some as well, And the seat is recontoured I was told. Plus the wind shield now has a couple of knobs to let you adjust it and the upgraded suspension and frame and wheels being stronger plus a few more ponys than last year....If I did not have a ton in my 2012 I'd buy one!
They even moved the Versys out of the sport bike category on their website. The Versys is a category all it's own now. I like the sporty posture of the 2nd gen Versys, but I know many of you don't. Looks like Kawasaki listened to you members that wanted a tamer riding position.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
2008 here in the US; 2007 in Canada; 2006 in the rest of the world (?).
just proves my point, they had some years to work out the kinks in the V, give the FJ a little time and I'm sure it will be an excellent bike. this is yamaha we're talking about, they know what they're doing when it comes to making a bike.
post #15 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
The US just got the bike within the last month and there aren't a lot of people on them yet. Please share the site where you've seen the problems so we can be informed. This seems to be the most popular US forum and no one has mentioned issues:

http://fj-09.org/forum

Sorry fz-09 forums
Within this stupid Moto app under Yamaha fz-09

I was reading Issues with snatchy throttle, stalling when coming to stop and crappy soggy suspension.
post #16 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Sorry fz-09 forums
Within this stupid Moto app under Yamaha fz-09

I was reading Issues with snatchy throttle, stalling when coming to stop and crappy soggy suspension.
The first two issues were fixed with a software update. The soggy suspension is easily fixed with new springs in the front and a rear shock.

The suspension on the Versys is crap too, I don't understand why it get so much hate on the FZ. I have Traxxion AK-20 catridges and Penske shock on my Versys and I'd definitely get them for a FJ-09.

If something happened today to my Versys and I'd have to look for a replacement, the FJ-09 would be it, I wouldn't even think about another Versys for a split second. The FJ-09 has more power, it is lighter, gets better fuel mileage, has better electronics and the brakes are real 4 piston monoblock calipers that have much better feel, none of that can be added to the Versys. The suspension sucks? It sucks on the Versys too...

Just a note, here Kawasakis are overpriced, according to the guys at Yamaha, the FJ-09 will be priced the same as the regular, non LT, Versys 650 ABS. I'd have to be on drugs to get the Versys.
post #17 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:23 PM

FJ-09s are priced at $8980 here. If it was between that and a Versys 650, I think I'd take the FJ. The question for me is, do I want a FJ-09 or a Versys 1000?
post #18 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
FJ-09s are priced at $8980 here. If it was between that and a Versys 650, I think I'd take the FJ. The question for me is, do I want a FJ-09 or a Versys 1000?

personally, I'd take an FJ-09 over a versys 1000
post #19 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
FJ-09s are priced at $8980 here.
Your dealers already have them in stock and are knocking $1500 off a brand new model? Did you mean the FZ-09? I thought I read somewhere that the FJs weren't going to be in US showrooms until February?
post #20 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Your dealers already have them in stock and are knocking $1500 off a brand new model? Did you mean the FZ-09? I thought I read somewhere that the FJs weren't going to be in US showrooms until February?
FJ-09. In stock at a dealer five miles from my house. $8980.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode