Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom - Page 22 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 427 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I assume the stock seat has a tendency to move the rider forward towards the tank. Do most rework OEM seat or go aftermarket or just live with it?
I find the seat has that damnable passenger 'step' in it that gives me insufficent room to shift around. long legged types seem to have that problem, plus I like to move around on the saddle for comfort.

Sargent/Corbin/aftermarket here I come. I can always sell the seat, as well as put the bike seat back to stock if/when I go to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 427 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:22 PM

I don't have a problem with the passenger "step", it actually acts as a mini backrest, but I'm only 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I didn't like sliding forward and scrunching the package.

My remedy was to re-sculpt the riders foam (leave the front 4-6" alone) and shave it down to about 1" thick. I then inset a 3/4" hospital grade gel pad. Added 1" of carpet pad to the nose (shaped sufficiently to allow the cover to still "cover"), re-sculpted the nose to the general seat shape and finally added 1/2" low density foam over the re-work. Re-covered the seat and raised the nose attachment by 3/4". It's now a pretty comfortable seat. Cost was about $80 and 3-4 hours work.
post #423 of 427 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I assume the stock seat has a tendency to move the rider forward towards the tank. Do most rework OEM seat or go aftermarket or just live with it?
Try SEARCH on raising the front of the seat....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #424 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Stator / Reliability/ Used Bikes/New Used Owner

Some questions that I have been asked and thought to share, here is one of them

Stator and Other Stuff
Look at post 3, this is in Technical forum under sticky.

Polaris Regulator Install

As to the miles, one of the most expensive services is the valve shim check, I had a 07, in the early years, many of us found the exhaust valves very close to minimum spec. much earlier than recommended service, several did them around 9 to 10K miles, and found them out of spec. This service is much more for the MK-2 and MK-1 because of the amount of work in removing and installing the plastic. Expect to pay around $400 to $600 if shims are out of spec. Many of us have done it ourselves and there is a thread with pictures on this site.

Back to the stator, unfortunately the series regulator I have been promoting just doubled in price, once I find out why I will post it, right now the best person in the know is Roadster cycle.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.
post #425 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sticky/ Merging threads

Anyone that sees another thread that should be contained here , please copy the thread link and post here. Later I will merge it and delete your link.
This is a start to placing good information in one place. As time permits we will delete posts within the thread that are of no benefit.

Thanks in Advance
quexpress likes this.
post #426 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:56 AM

bogus arguments need to be corrected:

curb weight: versys is only 4 kg heavier according to specs. But that is with 3 more litres of fuel (21L instead of 18L) which mean basically only about 1 kg heavier. That's by the specs.

Now for speculation, that versys curb weight of 214 kg might very well be WITH the LT luggage (about 4kg each). but that would bring the versys weight to 206kg with the extra 3L fuel, compared to the 210kg of the fj09. For the same fuel amount of 18L, that is 203kg, which is a nice 7kg lighter.

consumption: fj09 "claims" 53 mpg (that's probably their best). I "do" that whenever I want to.
They are both around 45 mpg, with the versys somewhat spreading above and below.
see
Yamaha FJ-09 MPG - Actual MPG from 39 Yamaha FJ-09 owners
Kawasaki KLE650 Versys MPG - Actual MPG from 76 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys owners
Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys MPG - Actual MPG from 81 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys owners

as for the opinions:

versys 650 has more potential for off road due to 35mm more ground clearance. But to be fair, don't count on it to jump over logs... And it is just as heavy heavy to pick up.
onewizard and RVerde like this.
post #427 of 427 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Because the angle of the seat puts you in a sportier riding position. I never had a problem with the angle. I had a problem with the rise to the passenger seat locking me into one position.
I'm one of those weird folks that like the seat and riding position for the majority of my riding. It does push me forward and it becomes really noticeable on longer super slab style rides. I added an Airhawk R that helps in a couple of ways, better distribution of load and allowing for a change in shape that lessens the front push.

The Airhawk works pretty well but the standard R is too big and the small is too small. They need a Goldilocks version for the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode