Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom - Page 20 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #381 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
I don't consider it an alternative, no. I consider myself as potentially switching types of bikes completely. As I said above, I'm stuck between the two. I see the appeal of more relaxed and comfortable cruising but I also do enjoy the twisty bits. I think that in the spring I'm going to see if I can get a ride on a new Versys and Boulevard to make my decision. Until I get some seat time on the Boulevard especially I think I'm more making a decision based on an emotional reaction than actual riding.
The neutral seating of adventure style bikes will be all day comfortable on your wrists and back. You can also get lowering pegs if you want to lower your legs further, if you are especially tall. The pegs below the seat position may feel strange at first if coming from a cruiser but will allow for some additional control of the bike as you get used to them. A top box is nice if you carry a passenger (provides additional feeling of security and backrest) as well as space to store groceries or laptop if using the bike for commuting. Also consider checking out VStrom, FJ-09, and Triumph XR. They are all great bikes but I feel the Versys offers the best value. This is a heavily contested segment/type of motorcycles for good reason. When test driving don't forget the Versys engine can rev to 10K and has a happy zone higher up the rev range than a cruiser VTwin - shift points will differ.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-19-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Garage
I have owned a 1500LC (the model before the 90 series cruiser) and have just purchased a Versys.

As some of the previous posters have indicated it is really hard to say which is a "better" ride because they are so different in so many areas.

Whatever your ultimate choice is I hope you ride with much enjoyment and safety.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson
post #383 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:52 PM

I have lowering pegs and a handlebar riser on my '08, and it made the sitting position closer to a KLR. It still responds nicely to a twisty road, but it's much more comfortable on the commute for me (6ft, 32" inseam).

That said, I can't fault you for wanting to try different styles of bikes. If you can get a chance to test ride them, do so. I've taken a few bikes I thought I would like out on demo/ride days, and it saved me from making an expensive mistake on a few occasions.

I have to say, I'm a bit jealous. I was born and raised in St. John's, and moved to Ontario for work in '92. Many of the roads out there following the coast would make a great ride.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #384 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 PM

Have you thought about a Versys 1000? I'm ready to get a bigger bike. Versys 1000 will be on my list.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #385 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:07 AM

Garage
new versys all the way.... no question. the cruiser position gets old quick. I've downsized, and I miss the liter bike hit, but the new V is light & nimble. put 4k miles on mine the summer,,, all conditions, all weather

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #386 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I've just switched from a Kaw Vulcan 1600 Classic, much like a Boulevard, to a 2016 Versys LT. The Vulcan looked great, sounded great, was amazingly comfortable going down the highway at 70-80, BUT it is a handful at slow speeds, and not any fun in the twisties at all (about 800lbs with extras on it) . I love to ride on the back roads, in the mountains, etc., away from all the crazies, and the Versys really shines there and doesn't wear me out. Vibration is not really an issue with the 2015 on up.
Awesome. Its funny as I just did the same. Had a 1500 Nomad loaded up and switched to a 2016 650lt for the same reasons.....
post #387 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:27 AM

I've ridden them all since 1978, cafe, dual sport, crotch rocket, cruiser, adventure, no Harleys...

I say give a go. Can always come back or go anther direction. Current ride is a 2016 Versys 1000, up from a Versys 650...and a KLR 650.

Who knows what's next for me, really liking the power and handling of the V1K right now though.

I'll ad, if you love the twisties, make sure the cruiser style bike can corner. I owned Yamaha Bolt in 2014 and loved it. Added the Ivan's performance ECU remap and new exhaust. Damn fun to ride. Hit my pegs in most corners. Sold it and bought the Versys 650. I need to corner.

Last edited by outdoorgb; 09-20-2016 at 10:31 AM.
post #388 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM

I have an '09 and I added the anti-vib risers. They do reduce the buzz a bit but not completely. Strange yours still has a vibration issue at ~16K. I have around the same mileage and mine is a lot smoother than it was at 3k. But if you really gotta have something new, you might want to think about something used. Many bikes that are +20k new can be had for 6-7k at only a few years old. I bought a 2005 BMW R1200RT in great shape for 5k. Even though it was a pretty solid bike to start with, I sent it to a certified BMW mechanic to sort everything out from head to tail. New battery and rear tire included I spent ~$1,800.00. For $6,800 I have a very reliable bike that used to be expensive. It's fun to ride the BMW one day and Versys the next. Because of the weight difference I feel like I can throw the V around like a rag doll when I get back on it. No idea what's available in your neck of the woods but it may be worth while to see what else is out there.
post #389 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM

I will offer a few observations based on recent experience with two bigger bikes: a 2015 BMW 1200GS and a 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200. I traded my 2001 ZR-7S in for a 2016 V650 this past April. I liked it at first, but wasn't in love with it. The motor just didn't seem to have enough "attitude". However, my own attitude has changed over the last few months. I spent five days on a rented 1200GS in July during a trip through Colorado. The GS is a very good bike. In particular, the suspension is more supple than the V650, and I really liked the cruise control. The same can also be said for the Multistrada that a friend bought recently.
Both bikes have considerably more power than the V650, but for street use, that extra power is almost never usable. In fact, I now prefer the way the little parallel twin of the V spins up through the entire rpm range without any fuss or drama. It also feels so much lighter and quicker than either the GS or MS., though I think it only weighs about 25 pounds less than the MS. It's certainly smoother than either bike. It settles into an effortless 6k rpm cruise without complaint. In short, if you are thinking of spending a lot more money on a bigger bike, I would think twice. The V650 had really grown on me. It's true that it doesn't have much attitude, but I've come to realize that's a good thing.
post #390 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
...I have to say, I'm a bit jealous. I was born and raised in St. John's, and moved to Ontario for work in '92. Many of the roads out there following the coast would make a great ride.
I lived in Ottawa in '69 to '71, then Trenton till '74. Montreal for a bit, then near Hawkesbury. The riding NEAR Ottawa is FANTASTIC! Down the river (N side) to Grenville, then up the Rouge River..., and EVERY sideroad...!

IF you want better than THAT - MOVE to the Okanagan in BC...!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #391 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag1961 View Post
Awesome. Its funny as I just did the same. Had a 1500 Nomad loaded up and switched to a 2016 650lt for the same reasons.....
That makes three of us then..........I just traded a tour equipped 1500 Classic for a 15' Versys and I'm not sorry..........totally different bike but the Versys became necessary because of the weight of the Vulcan.

Ride as many different bikes as you can get your hands on...........then make a decision.

The best "cruiser" I have ever ridden (I've test ridden a bunch) is the older model Honda Vaulkrie (98-02 I think), fast, smooth and very comfortable.
post #392 of 427 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I lived in Ottawa in '69 to '71, then Trenton till '74. Montreal for a bit, then near Hawkesbury. The riding NEAR Ottawa is FANTASTIC! Down the river (N side) to Grenville, then up the Rouge River..., and EVERY sideroad...!

IF you want better than THAT - MOVE to the Okanagan in BC...!

-
Very true, but St. John's will always be home to me. I didn't start riding on-road until I moved up here, so I haven't ridden down there yet. It's gonna happen at some point...just haven't been able to make it happen yet,

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #393 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM

I had a Gen III and went back to a Gen II.
rodentrancher and Destroyem like this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #394 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post

I would be interested in you sharing why you preferred the Gen 2 over the Gen 3. I was thinking about upgrading from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3.
anders55 likes this.
post #395 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhiking View Post
Quote:

I would be interested in you sharing why you preferred the Gen 2 over the Gen 3. I was thinking about upgrading from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3.
I owned both but just like Gen II better, plus It's unique....Gen III looks like every other sport bike.

GEN II has a lower torque curve.

And a few other little things.

A local place (Big St. Charles Motorsports near St Louis) has new 2014's on sale for $3,999 plus a negotiable freight/shipping charge in case anyone wants one.
post #396 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
A local place (Big St. Charles Motorsports near St Louis) has new 2014's on sale for $3,999 plus a negotiable freight/shipping charge in case anyone wants one.
They must be buying them from somewhere else because when I was in there in May, before I bought my 2016, they didn't have any Versys's in stock. That's a super price though.
post #397 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:58 PM

Hmmm, other than improved wind protection, vibration isolation, brake feel (not sure the brakes are better, they just feel better), integrated luggage, and slightly improved economy there is little to choose the new V over the old one.
post #398 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 PM

Back to the original question...

If you buy now you ride now. Buy now.
post #399 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
Hmmm, other than improved wind protection, vibration isolation, brake feel (not sure the brakes are better, they just feel better), integrated luggage, and slightly improved economy there is little to choose the new V over the old one.
My thought was upgrade for better and more easily adjusted suspension, ABS (my 13' is a non ABS), slightly more gas (though that has never really been a problem), more horses (they claim although I can wheelie in first and weight 250 lbs). I guess that would be it. I would be interested in hearing what other Gen II owners who have upgraded think. I know your out there.
post #400 of 427 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:43 PM

I turned my Gen 2 into a sports tourer, Shad 36 hardbags, Madstad windscreen, heated grips etc. I wanted a light weight touring bike after owning a BMW R1100RT and never thought much about ABS. I had several hard stops with the beemer always under full control and since I didn't feel the pulsing in the lever I never realized ABS was saving my precious butt. Two hard stops with the Versys, one where I actually tapped a deer (no damage to the bike or the deer, just a slight moisture in my pants) and the rear wheel locked. Thing is, during that kind of stop all your panic stop practice goes straight out the window and you grab the brakes for dear life. IMO, ABS is worth 5 times what you paid for it when your butt is hanging out there. If money ever falls into my hands I will buy a bike with ABS period. At this time, with the 17s almost here you might find a better deal on a 15 or 16. Personally, I want to see the 17 and my bank acct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode