Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM

Sounds like a good excuse for someone to fly and ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
Sounds like a good excuse for someone to fly and ride.
Or fly and buy. Gawd I luv me a falling yen! Unfortunately, I'm not in shape for flying or riding at this point, but I am still good at dreaming and drooling.

For those who haven't had the privilege, a triple engine is a many splendid thing. My wife and I rented a 955 for a tour thru BC. Undersprung as were most Triumphs at the time, but the engine was magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHE...tQMM4XjhQFV2DQ

As I noted in another thread, I do a fair amount of two up riding. That coupled with the fact that I like the V1K is more roomy and has a little more road hugging weight means my mind is pretty well set. I have nothing against Yami. I'll be trading in a FJR with about 60k miles on the clock for it. It has been as bullet proof and dependable as any machine has a right to be. Still, one look at the ergos of the two make it an easy decision for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	58409

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaw_V1000.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	58425

Last edited by saddlebag; 01-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #23 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Your dealers already have them in stock and are knocking $1500 off a brand new model? Did you mean the FZ-09? I thought I read somewhere that the FJs weren't going to be in US showrooms until February?
A dealer in my area has FJ-09's already. But they are not knocking $1500 off yet.

http://www.ridenowrancho.com/default...=xNewInventory

Last edited by Wonker; 01-01-2015 at 04:30 PM.

post #24 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:53 PM

The discount they're offering right up front would essentially get you free bags and racks. I understand that's ahout a $1300 option. Very good deal.
post #25 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
FJ-09s are priced at $8980 here. If it was between that and a Versys 650, I think I'd take the FJ. The question for me is, do I want a FJ-09 or a Versys 1000?
Motorcycle prices fluctuate within regions in the US. In the south where you can ride all year, dealers do not drop any money off on a brand new model bike. The fj is a brand new model. Now take my 2013 Versys for example. I was able to get it for 6800 otd. When they were selling the 2014's Versys for 9500 otd. But the 2013 had sat on the showroom since 2012.

That being said, you can ship a motorcycle anywhere in the country for $800. Dealers in Florida add on $800-$1000. Plus tax, tag, title, other states fee's. They are selling the FJ-09 at sticker price plus another $1200 here. So it would literally be worth it to buy one from your dealer and pay the $800 and have it shipped here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
The first two issues were fixed with a software update. The soggy suspension is easily fixed with new springs in the front and a rear shock.

The suspension on the Versys is crap too, I don't understand why it get so much hate on the FZ. I have Traxxion AK-20 catridges and Penske shock on my Versys and I'd definitely get them for a FJ-09.

If something happened today to my Versys and I'd have to look for a replacement, the FJ-09 would be it, I wouldn't even think about another Versys for a split second. The FJ-09 has more power, it is lighter, gets better fuel mileage, has better electronics and the brakes are real 4 piston monoblock calipers that have much better feel, none of that can be added to the Versys. The suspension sucks? It sucks on the Versys too...

Just a note, here Kawasakis are overpriced, according to the guys at Yamaha, the FJ-09 will be priced the same as the regular, non LT, Versys 650 ABS. I'd have to be on drugs to get the Versys.

The FZ-09 has twice the hp as the Versys. And weighs 30 lbs less. Which is why its suspension is the topic of such ridicule. The suspension itself is ok, just not with 65 ft. .lbs tq and 115 hp.

I came from owning almost all supersports before the fz-09, and 600 cc supersports have the same power to weight as the fz-09 but with less torque. And to get the fz-09 suspension on par with a supersport it would cost over $1500. But the versys is much more balanced. It's suspension does just fine with 60 hp.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #26 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 PM

will likely sell versys next year, after one more trip. might be a while before i replace it, but right now, the FJ is at the top of the list.

Quote:
So we went to the launch determined to see if Yamaha had addressed the suspension and fuel injection issues. Had they done so, we expected the FJ-09 to be stellar.

The suspension is fixed, as far as we can tell after one day’s ride. Yamaha did not take half measures. Without changing the spring rates, Yamaha said during its technical presentation that new valving in the fork made compression damping 50% stiffer and rebound damping 150% slower. The shock has 150% more compression damping, as well as slower rebound. These changes are big, but the suspension needed big changes.
Quote:
Mind you, with proper fuel injection mapping and suspension, we expected the FJ to be awesome – without considering the other changes. Based on our initial ride, the FJ appears to be awesome. The suspension is dialed superbly. Despite the light weight and ultra-powerful motor, the suspension remains calm and composed, absorbing small, chatter bumps, but staying high in the stroke and minimizing excessive brake dive and acceleration squat. The suspension is very, very good.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/...t-ride-part-2/

next topic....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevrider; 01-01-2015 at 09:41 PM.
post #27 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM

There seems to be a HUGE price difference between the FJ-09 and FZ-09. Better parts?
post #28 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM

Versys 650LT vs FJ09?

Almost double the HP. There's your answer right there. Do you want that kind of juice or don't you?

Seems to me, everything else is secondary.
post #29 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
Versys 650LT vs FJ09?

Almost double the HP. There's your answer right there. Do you want that kind of juice or don't you?

Years ago I would agree with you that power is everything and anything else is secondary. But for me a well balanced motorcycle is more important. It seems yamaha has sorted out the suspension and made the fj09 much more balanced compared to the fz.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #30 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Years ago I would agree with you that power is everything and anything else is secondary. But for me a well balanced motorcycle is more important. It seems yamaha has sorted out the suspension and made the fj09 much more balanced compared to the fz.
This sums up why I like the 650 Versys. It may not have the most power or best suspension out there and looks are love it or hate it. BUT all in all it does what I want when I want it to. Hauls what I need to where I want and does so with a good dose of fun thrown in. And in the long run what more can you ask for? Balance!

Also remember these are relatively low price bikes. If you want top draw everything you better be ready to belly up to the bar with the big boyz. A EBR 1190RX is about $18,000. Now take it to the top level and the 1190RS is over $40,000. I bet 99% of us wouldn't be able to push a 1190RX anywhere near it's limits much less the 1190RS. The 1190RS is a flat out race bike with lights.

BUT it is great fun to fuss about it!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #31 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
And in the long run what more can you ask for? Balance!
Eggzachry! But it's hard to argue with spec sheet warriors. After all, their info is factual even if very incomplete.

I like the 650 but will be getting the V1K. But it's not because the liter bike has a bigger peak hp number (120). If it were 140, it wouldn't impress me anymore, if it were 100, it wouldn't make me any less inclined to buy it. I want it for the difference in character.

My buddy had a Ninja 650. Great little bike. It really felt motorsickely after coming off the smooth, quiet FJR. And that's a nice feeling for short distances. As a day wears on, what started out as "bad ass," ends up as "stinky ass bad." If my primary use for the bike was solo commuting and short day rides, I'd get the 650. But since I'm apt to go two up, loaded for bear, up mountain sides, I want a bike with copious low and mid-range power that is delivered in a very smooth manner that allows me to short shift it, thereby providing a non threatening soundtrack to accompany all its asphalt shredding goodness.

If my primary concern was demonstrating my engine's peak power credentials, I'd buy a bike with more drag dreams than touring aspirations.
post #32 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
If my primary concern was demonstrating my engine's peak power credentials, I'd buy a bike with more drag dreams than touring aspirations.
^
l
l
l
This!

I'm worried the V1000 is going to get hammered with a lot of "Why doesn't it have more HP?" negativity. I think the point of the V1000 is going to be missed on a lot of internet motorcyclist while the rest of us are out riding.

BTW I'm a big fan of the FJ-09 and if the V1000 wasn't coming to the States it would be my next bike.
post #33 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
...Do you want that kind of juice or don't you?

Me...? No, I'm quite happy w/ the 62 HP in my Vs, and I "stepped-down" from the 104 HP in a Bandit 1200S.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #34 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Me...? No, I'm quite happy w/ the 62 HP in my Vs, and I "stepped-down" from the 104 HP in a Bandit 1200S.

You should be. The secret is in the mid-power range. Let people buy several big bikes that start their power range at 80mph. Unless you ride on a race track, its no fun: it's dangerous and not good for your driver's license. The Vs. is close to perfect and a blast to drive.

The big bikes are usually below their power range do not perform as well in the city; and when they are in their power range, suspension and brakes for handling and stopping are not quite good enough sometimes. So far, I'm happy with my stock (never been adjusted yet) suspension and brakes. I'm having a ball just riding and trying to find time to put all my accessories on when they all get here (free shipping must be on slow mule I think.)

I was looking at a Bandit as well too, but a 600 or 650 model: there are NO used 600/650's to speak of. Great bike, but no more super heavy weights (1000cc +) for me. I'm happy being zippy and safe(er)
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #35 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Good video. An informed review from someone who is familiar with the shortcomings of the FZ 09. At 3 mins 30 secs the reviewer who raves about the versys in a separate report, discusses the versys, and then the suspension. The report also details his preliminary impressions about the vast improvement over the FZ. His first ride opinion is shared by most if not all of the other journalists who have released their reports. I love my versys but.......

Video for revzilla youtube yamaha fj 09► 7:18► 7:18
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdnLnCxGEtwDec 23, 2014 - Uploaded by RevZilla
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Test Ride http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015- yamaha-fj-09 ...
post #36 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldb View Post
I love my versys but.......
If you read the article, he also says:

"There is still an abrupt difference between on and off throttle, especially in the A and Standard riding modes. While it isn't as intense as with the FZ, and doesn't make mid-turn inputs feel unsafe, it will be a little jarring for new riders. If I were to buy an FJ, I'd probably still get a Power Commander."

Translation: If you want smooth throttle response, ride it in rain mode at a fraction of full power.

The video makes the bike look good. It sure looks to be the sportiest of the genre. But before we go off the rails because the FJ makes twice the HP of the Versys 650, let's ask the question, how much does it matter for the style of riding done in the video? I'd guess he was running between 60-80 mph for most of it. The FJ is not using anywhere near its peak power to do that and the 650 could go that fast without breaking a sweat. Granted, the operator of the Versys may have to twist the throttle a little harder to maintain that speed, but that may be a reasonable compromise for a bike that gets better mileage and has more fuel capacity.
post #37 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Have not tested it yet, but there are the stats
Interesting.

Your image claims the Versys 1000 has greater range than the 650. It shows both with the same tank size, but claims better fuel economy for the 1000. For the 2012 model year fuelly.com shows the 650 as more fuel efficient than the 1000. I wonder if real world experience will show the 2015 1000 more fuel efficient than the 650 as your numbers indicate. I wonder what conditions your numbers came from. Or was it simply an error?

As far as the original question I'd choose the Versys because the FJ09 simply doesn't have enough range for most of my riding. If they had given it a bigger tank, I think I'd choose the Yamaha.
post #38 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Interesting.

Your image claims the Versys 1000 has greater range than the 650. It shows both with the same tank size, but claims better fuel economy for the 1000. For the 2012 model year fuelly.com shows the 650 as more fuel efficient than the 1000. I wonder if real world experience will show the 2015 1000 more fuel efficient than the 650 as your numbers indicate. I wonder what conditions your numbers came from. Or was it simply an error?

As far as the original question I'd choose the Versys because the FJ09 simply doesn't have enough range for most of my riding. If they had given it a bigger tank, I think I'd choose the Yamaha.
A member here recently did an extended demo ride on the V1K where it was ridden spiritedly and returned better than 47 mpg US.
post #39 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
If range is your deciding factor rather than weight or power, check out the BMW F800GS Adventure. It runs at 4.3L/100km and has a 24L tank. That's a range of 558km per tank, and it is $49 dollars cheaper than the V1000 in Canada.
Probably works a lot better in the dirt too. It's not even in the same league if you're looking at a bike to do two up long distance touring on though.

Having said that, I have found one thing about the V1K that I find awfully disturbing, that being the alternator capacity. I don't need a whole lot, but those OEM fog lights look nice. I'm a GPS dependent too. I'm also too damn old to ride on cold days without heated gear. Unfortunately, the puny charging system doesn't even provide enough overhead to heat my jacket and gloves without discharging the damn battery! This is just an idiotic oversight for someone making a touring bike in this century.
post #40 of 427 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Saddlebag,

I don't understand.

Does the V1K have a smaller alternator than the 650 V?

On both my 09Vand 10V (650), I run heated jacket and gloves, Clearwater front running lights, GPS, extra side and rear lights, a modulator on the front light, and have plenty of spare capacity.

Last edited by ScottyNeal; 01-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode