Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Versys OEM tankbag

10K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  jefapotomus 
#1 ·
I just received the new tankbag offered through Kawasaki for the Versys. This thing is really, really nice.

I had a chance to use it the last few days and it's by far the best I've found......and I've had several.
It is designed just for our bikes and will expand 3" too making it plenty big enough without being too big. It has magnets that fits the tank and has a safety strap up front that clips on the lower edge of the tank. The back strap is very nicely made, it loops under the seat and has Velcro to secure it to the bag. Lifts right up for fuel access easily too.
Overall, I'm very impressed with the fit and finish. It's definitely top quality.

Dan

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey Smiley,

I too like maps, in fact that's all I use.

On this long week-end trip I placed a piece of foam inside the compartment with my maps on top of it and it worked like a champ.
It's zippered on top with Velcro around the rest of the window making it easy to open, ran thru some rain and it sealed good.

The area is perfect for change, door openers, etc.

Dan

#8 ·
It looks good on the bike just a little big for my taste..

#16 ·
I have the OEM Versys soft tail bag and love it. It's great quality and has held up extremely well. This tank bag matches it perfectly and I'm sure it's made by the same manufacturer as you can tell from the above photos. It's definitely on my "to buy" list now.

#18 ·
I needed to order some OEM parts so I decided to add the Versys tank bag to the order. Saved me $8.00 in shipping on the other parts so a great price overall for a tank bag that actually fits the versys. I will see how it fits on the other bikes, but if it only works for the Versys that is OK.

#19 ·
I did notice on Kawasaki's website that the have new tank bags for several sport bikes. The numbers are slightly different which means different mounting points, but it looks like they all have the window compartment. Keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice keeping my 10 riding essentials in the bag and move it from bike to bike.

#20 ·
Just ordered it from my local dealer - they price matched $120 and it took about 5 days to So Cal.

Thanks for the part No. - made ordering super easy.

Great bag. I balked at first at the size...but it really has come in handy. The window doesn't fit the iPhone vertically - but it fits horizontally - that's fine for me.

I really like the felt sunglass pouch on the front too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
On the US site it implies that the maximum capacity when expanded is 8 liters which doesn't seem to make sense given that it claims to be 17" long, 11" wide, and 10" tall when fully expanded. (the expansion height is 3").

So though i have official dimensions I am confused because by my calculations 11x17x10= 1870 cubic inches which when translated into liters =
roughly 30.6 liters.

If I took 3" (the expansion) x 17"x11=561 cubic inches is the equivalent of roughly 9.2 liters.

So my guess is that the 9.2 minus the funny angles and dips for the pockets etc is the 8 liters they are talking about. So the unexpanded should roughly be 30.6 liters minus 9.2 minus 1.2 so, 22 liters unexpanded which is a fairly standard good size tank bag.

Can someone check my calculations becuase both the US and the EU site say 8 liter bag!!!

I need a good size tank bag to carry my camera gear to keep the weight up front. CUrrently I use an old aftermarket tank bag whose rear magnets barely grip, the fron magnet just makes it over the tank lid so I use a strap on either side to secure to my engine guards. Pain in the butt. So this looks like it could work depending on inner configuration.

Any chance of you posting a pic of the inside of the bag @oldkawboy?

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew...MarketingId=456&ModelYear=2014&CategoryID=160

#25 · (Edited)
actually if you compare it to the closest thing Givi has (which is not designed for the versys so probably needs to be modified), the T456 magnetic which has a 17liter volume unexpanded and 27 liter expanded volume and looks wonky and costs $211 (!!) this OEm looks a lot better deal!
Which is weird seeing as givi design/manufacture luggage for Kawasaki under the Kawasaki brand = eg the v35 hard case panniers

#30 ·
It really isn't huge. The bottom of the bag follows the tank so it is concave into the bag so it doesn't really hold as much as it looks like it would hold. It does fit perfectly on the bike though.

One potential issue for me is that I am using the GPS mount on the handlebar clamp and it looks like it might rub if I put anything in the front pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.