Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

R.I.P. Sweet Versys

8K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
5:50 on a Wednesday morning, on my way into work. Almost no traffic - except the kid in the giant Suburban who turned left in front of me like I wasn't even there. I put over 16k miles on that bike in the three years I had it. It was a great bike.

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
That's quite a horn. A good thing to have to be sure, though in my case it wouldn't have helped. I only had time to grab the brakes. I do think my relatively loud exhaust helps somewhat, though I do feel bad at 5:40 in the morning starting up my bike on my very quiet street.

@ bobbed83toy - regarding my exhaust, it's just a Two Brothers Racing slip-on. I went with that manufacturer mostly because of the look and where it sits on the bike. I don't like the slip-ons that protrude to the side as much. It's something like 9 lbs lighter than stock but of course it doesn't have a catalytic converter. It's also significantly louder than stock, more than I expected. Almost loud enough for me to regret that mod. However, even though the improvement in performance is slight, it is noticeable. You don't get any more peak power, but it does wind up faster, and feels a little more torquey on the low end. I'm sure a power commander would really unlock the slip-on's potential but I never got a chance to put one on mine.

I am happy to say that I picked up my brand-new 2012 Versys from the dealer this last weekend! SS brake lines are already installed and after the break-in period I'll put the exhaust back on as well. I haven't been able to ride it much at all yet, and had to walk it down my still-snowy street coming home from the dealer, but it's in my garage and everything regarding the incident and insurance has been settled - rather favorably I would say. My knee is good to go and I went from having a 2008 with 20k miles to a 2012 with 0 miles. Not bad at all really. :)
I'll post pictures soon.

#34 ·
Glad your okay. Insurance adjuster claimed $3500.00 worth of damage. I got most of what i needed off ebay and a rear brake lever from cheapcycle parts and splurged $200.00 on a big parabellum windscreen. Cost me less than $500.00 total in parts counting the windscreen. The crash bars and handguards saved the bike from more damage.The one thing i had to replace which you can't see is the inner cowl bracket. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/6427219569/in/set-72157628210904815/

Heres what hit me....

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.