Most amazing bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Most amazing bike?

I just brought my new(2011) baby home 3 days ago, but... I can't sleep at night. I cry when I wake up and it's raining outside.. I'm itching...

This is the most unique looking bike I've ever seen. Really, the fun factor with the looks and feel of this bike, nothing can compare. V-strom, no. GS650, no.

Kawasaki for building the coolest bike ever. I don't ever want any different bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
I don't ever want any different bike.
Famous last words...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

kirk.. i liked the read in your signature... i always thought squid was what one would become (as a result of wearing no gear during a crash) a hard head with a floppy squishy body.. my dad is old school so he doesnt really gear up.. jeans and boots maybe, but shorts and closed toes sandals have been the case before.. i bust his balls nonstop to get him to feel as strongly as i do about gear..

i just hi jacked my own thread!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
kirk.. i liked the read in your signature... i always thought squid was what one would become (as a result of wearing no gear during a crash) a hard head with a floppy squishy body.. my dad is old school so he doesnt really gear up.. jeans and boots maybe, but shorts and closed toes sandals have been the case before.. i bust his balls nonstop to get him to feel as strongly as i do about gear..

i just hi jacked my own thread!
On her site, there is a long writeup of her crash. It is a sobering read (WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC).

BTW, not sure you can't hijack your own thread! Pretty sure when you start a thread, you can do what you want!

Ride safe!!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I watched the video and I remember reading about her and seeing her muspace a while ago. Hard way to learn a lesson. Stupid zipping at 120 with a passenger on those tiny back seats! Hopefully her story can make a difference.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Welcome, but am I the only one that rides in the rain? It's not big deal. Slow down even more so before turns. Brake earlier. Get wet. Show up with a grin on your face.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

No I do, man. But I'd rather not show up at work wet and uncomfortable

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
No I do, man. But I'd rather not show up at work wet and uncomfortable
Buy better gear! I can ride in torrential downpours and not get wet.

The roads are always slickest right after the rain starts, and in the center of the road. Make smooth and deliberate actions and remember to warm up your pads a bit before braking heavily if it has been a few minutes since you last used them.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM

I used to not ride in the rain, but started to do it a few weeks ago. I have my rain gear on and not a drop on me or my work clothes when I get to work. I park in the garage and take off all the rain gear and I am good to go. As far as traction, I am more careful and give myself more distance between me and the car ahead and watch out more. I still have good traction, especially after it has rained for a while and washed all the crap off the road.

I don't brake hard as a normal procedure except just to see if I can do it.. I have tried in the rain at slow speeds and the brakes are still good.. about 60 - 80 % effective.
So not scared of riding in the rain as much anymore - just more cautious.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I'd go prepared on a trip, but when there's a civic sittig in my driveway and it get 33mpg and holds a warm cup of coffee, I'll take that definitely not scared of the rain.

Good rain story. Had my Michelin PR2 put on katana last year... Sky turned black, my mother called and said it was hailin and couldn't tell if ther was a tornado or not but it was POURING. I had no choice but to ride home. I made sure I warmed up the back tire then took off. Oh I got completely soaked to the bone. She was right, the mountain had inches of rain on it. Sketchy as hell, but I went slow and made it safe

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Don't let rain stop you from riding... I have my two piece rain suit permently stashed in my starboard pannier and don't hesitate to ride on those dark grey days... It's all part of the commitment to the bike.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM
MTS

and congrats! I really like the up right position and the handle bar position. I had to trade my 750 Shadow off it was so uncomfortable, I just keep thinking why did they design this thing like this!

One ride on the V and I was so happy!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

"Kawasaki for building the coolest bike ever. I don't ever want any different bike."

Spoken like a true newly wed! Even though the V is a beautiful bike, once you get deeper in love/lust with her, all bikes will start to turn your head. (even Harley's..) They won't look any better than your V, but somehow they will all look just a little sexier....
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Kawasaki for building the coolest bike ever. I don't ever want any different bike.
Oooh. Hmmmmm. I think my Versys is pretty cool too, but I still would like to have a Ducati, an MV Augusta, and several other way too expensive but beautiful machines. I tell myself my Versys wouldn't be too terribly offended if something Italian was parked next to it.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
JRE

I still need to ride one of these guys. I have to find a local guy with one that wants to take a spin on the Z
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE View Post
I still need to ride one of these guys. I have to find a local guy with one that wants to take a spin on the Z
Yes you do.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I want a hypermotard 796... F800gs... Vulcan custom 900 or victory hammer. Yeah it'd be nice to have many toys, but this bike is where it's at. Plenty of power, superb handling, and suh a fun feel to the motor. I've only ridden 4 cylinder bikes in my time.

I'd like to know more about this theory that now that I own a V, other bikes will start to look sexier. I see how my awareness and appreciation of bikes may heighten, but them Harley's with hard cases and all. Fugly!! Haha. Goodnight guys and gals

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Rain or shine is great. Personally, that's how I do it... but my other option is a pickup and i've never felt those were vehicles that should be utilized except when 4I wheel drive is needed or you have to move something lol.

2008 Versys
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack (still looking for a trunk...)
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM

A V is not a dainty fair weather bike like all those chromed out jetskis on wheels you see in the sunshine - I ride mine in everything but accumulating snow/ice, and you should too. Full face helmet, hooded rain coat, cheap rain pants, waterproof work boots and warm, waterproof gloves is all you need to show your bike who owns who. My buddy rides his BMW /6 in the snow, but he has a sidecar, so that's a little different.

The only time I'll return a rider's wave is when it's raining or cold as hell.

I ride in the rain with:
North Face Venture jacket - lightweight, inexpensive, tough enough, good venting
EMS Thunderhead rain pants - waterproof, full zip, easy to get on and off over boots
Shoei RF1000/Pinlock anti-fog shield - waterproof as hell, zero fogging
Chippewa 25405 waterproof steel toe boots
Some old goretex insulated gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode