Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Ordered A Seat Concepts seat for my '11 today

18K views 69 replies 29 participants last post by  Kawa007 
#1 ·

I just got off the phone with the good folks out at Seat Concepts and they were more than happy to answer my questions. I felt very comfortable doing business with them so I got online and ordered a seat. I did this because like most here, me and the stock seat have a different view of what is comfortable. The $169 price of admission seems like a no brainer to me.

I ordered the embossed/plain cover and denser than standard foam (this can be noted in the "notes" box while ordering online). Robert said it would ship today or tomorrow so I should have it by the end of the week, like everything else on order for the bike:thumb: I'll be sure to provide some feedback here on the forum of my initial impressions as well as those down the road.

They are honoring the DRRiders.com forums discount. You just insert the forums address in as all cap's in the coupon box.

#3 ·
Dam fine lookin' saddle.

#4 ·
Please post review and more info. I assume they send out the foam and cover w/ instruction and you put it together? Maybe a link and did you say a web site address in all cap's in coupon box gets you a discount? :huh:

And Stagehand38 knows its a damn fine lookin saddle because ( HOW?). Do you have one?? :huh:

#5 ·
#8 ·
Piping-off !???
what exactly is ..piping-off?
Huh indeed.

And do I detect a bit of animosity?
and when is it a bad thing to comment on info from a fellow rider?
...and it is a fine looking saddle and you could discover that by simply going to the manufacturers web site.

#7 · (Edited)
Now that's a really good seat upgrade for $169.99. You get an entire new foam cut in an ergonomic shape redesigned from the pan up, and a new cover. No need to ship out your original seat and foam to them... Just a new OEM cover retails for $94.56.

They did properly address the stock seat's problems for the rider and passenger as well, and I really like their quality finished look. :thumb:

"This seat is wider at the seating area and narrow like stock at the front to help keep that stock reach to the ground feel. The front of the seat is built up to eliminate the forward slope that the stock seat has. We also cupped the rear portion of the seating area (not visible in picture with cover pulled tight) for better support for the long ride. We also flattened the passenger seating area and squared up the sides to add more seating area, but fitting in the same area as the stock. The forward portion was built up to aid in eliminating the rear passenger leaning into the forward rider. The standard density is good for riders 160 - 240 lbs. Softer and firmer foam available on request for no extra charge." :clap:

#12 ·
I am extremely interested in this alternate seat solution but I have a couple of questions:
  • Does this seat cover fit all years of the Versys?
  • Does it actually improve the seating comfort and eliminate the forward sliding concern?
  • How easy is it to install yourself and do you need any special equipment like an air gun?

#14 ·
1) Yes, all years.
2) Eliminates the forward sloping seat. Still keep seat narrow in the front. Different density foam available. Back seat made flatter to increase passenger comfort.
3) Youtube motorcycle seat cover installation and see if it is something you can do yourself. If not, take pieces to the local upholestering shop and have them do it.

#13 ·
Same here... What is involved in the process of attaching this to your stock pan.. Not looking forward to some ghetto job.. The seat looks beautiful but I'd rather buy, you know, a complete seat! Guess I could ship mine out, but then I cant ride for what 2 weeks? No way Jose!

#18 ·
I too am installing a Seat Concepts kit. My bike is a 2008. I have a Seat Concepts on my KLR650 and have been entirely pleased. I'm hoping to have mine installed by the end of the weekend, weather permitting. It helps to do all the labor in the sun, as it really helps keep the vinyl soft and workable. My KLR kit was really easy. The most time consuming part was pulling all the staples to remove the factory cover. The Seat Concepts foam is created from a mold off a stock seat pan, so the foam just fits right into all the OEM pan shapes.

I'll try to take some pics of the steps.

#19 ·
Seat Concepts: "We do ship to Canada and we only use USPS. The shipping cost is $31.20... Robert" :thumb:

I did manage to staple the stock cover back on after some custom foam work with a staple gun, but I'd get this professionaly stapled on at local upholstering shop for a few bucks.

#21 ·
I put a new cover on a different bike I have. I didn't have the proper tools, namely an air compressor and staple gun. I rented an electric staple gun (for carpeting) for a few bucks, but couldn't find the right length staples for it (the staples were poking through the foam. Not good). I used other staple guns that had the right length staples, but they weren't strong enough to penetrate the plastic seat pan...from start to finish was about a week for me. I finally found a guy who does motorcycle upholstery and took it to him...so it is possible for this job to take longer than expected if you don't have the right tools...

Of course this was not on a Versys, so all of these issues might not be present...and I really hope it's easier to do than when I redid the seat on my other bike.

#24 ·
That's where you didn't do your homework and be prepared. It's way too easy to find suitable info on the web on how to do tasks. You can evaluate what your abilities/needed tools are from there.

I'd say that 85% of the riders here live within 40 miles of a competent upholesterer. It would be very easy to schedule in a ride in appointment where you could ride the bike in, take the seat off the bike and hand the upholesterer the needed items and go hunt up a cup of coffee/lunch for an hour. I checked with the local shops around here and it's a $20-$30 job that they could basically do anytime.

Y'all are making this out to be a lot more than what it is. It's a simple mod that will hopefully make the bike more enjoyable to ride for longer periods of time.

#31 ·
I had one of these on my Z400Sm. GREAT seat on that bike. I expect no less from this one. I emailed one of the owner/fabricators yesterday to inquire about red stitching to match my red Versys, and he replied within hours. I'm still on the fence about that part- but I'll definitely pick one up. For the other seat I took it to a local upholsterer who charged me $30 to install- which I gladly paid as he was nice enough to stay open 20 minutes late to do the install. I considered doing it myself but ultimately decided it was worth getting done quickly and professionally.

#34 ·
So I was able to get time to install the new SC seat. It is far better than the stock seat and better than the Spencer mod it replaced. It was a little more time consuming than I thought to get it installed. I used a Harbor Freight air staple gun, it took me about 1.5 hrs from start to finish. Because of the unique shape of the pan it is a little tricky. Took the bike for a ride and could tell it holds you in place much better and fixes the sliding forward problem. It is really comfortable and I went with the standard foam. I was using a spacer like many others to raise the front of the seat but it is no longer needed as this seat cures the problem. I can't wait to go on a long ride to really test it out. The seat has a slight bowl shaped area where you sit and it is hard to get the vinyl to lay smooth without a slight wrinkle. It may just need to get broke it though. For less than $200 delivered, I'd say go for it if you are not happy with the stocker.:thumb:

btw. They will install it for you for 20 bucks. That is a steal.

#35 · (Edited)
Congats on the seat! They look awesome! :thumb:

Just wanted to mention to you out there with no money for a SC seat.

After reading this thread I flipped my seat over and found two holes. The hole closest to the tank, I took one of those foam mats you sleep on for camping and cut some 1 1/2 inch strips by a foot or more and started stuffing the strips FORWARD (towards the tank) through the hole ( that is closest to the tank) with a big screw driver. I just kept stuffing the strips forward and it took alot. Flipped the seat over and had a nice cupped area to seat with no more forward slid. :thumb:

Went for a ride WOW what a difference! I love my seat now! :thumb: :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Also be careful not to drive screw driver through your seat maybe use a wood dowel.

#36 ·
My SC cover and foam showed up today on the UPS truck. This is 1 week after it ordered it. Pretty prompt service considering it had to get shipped to Indiana from California.

I pulled out my trusty air stapler and did a couple of test fires into the seat pan before pulling everything apart. First one in flush, the second sounded a little weak and was sticking up a bit. I grabbed a piece of wood to test a little more and gun is dead:mad: I pulled it apart only to find the piston seals had deteriorated. Off to the autoparts store for a couple of O rings to no avail. Odd sized rings have to order rebuild kit, darn it. I guess I should have tested my gun out last week. Make mental note of that next time.

Called a local upholstery shop to see how long it would take them to do as I didn't want to wait till the end of the week for my rebuild kit to show up to install seat cover and foam. They said for me to bring it over (3 miles away) so they could have a look-see. I took it over, $25 and have it ready for you in the mornin'. Done deal. I'll it pick up in the mornin' and go for a nice ride of 150 miles or so. This way my arse and the new seat can get acquainted:D

My SC seat has denser foam than standard as that's the way I ordered it. I guess I get to spend the evening detailing my bike.

#37 ·
If you could give little review of the SC with the denser foam. That is what I was thinking of getting I am 200lbs but was thinking it might hold up better?
Thanks ec90t, and good luck with your new SC. :thumb:

#38 ·
Well I hope the seats are as good as they sound. I ordered the Carbon look one this evening.

Make sure you use the code (KLR650.NET) to save 10% on the seat.

#41 ·
Seems thier located about an hour and a half from me.Might have to check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.