Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Ordered A Seat Concepts seat for my '11 today

18K views 69 replies 29 participants last post by  Kawa007 
#1 ·

I just got off the phone with the good folks out at Seat Concepts and they were more than happy to answer my questions. I felt very comfortable doing business with them so I got online and ordered a seat. I did this because like most here, me and the stock seat have a different view of what is comfortable. The $169 price of admission seems like a no brainer to me.

I ordered the embossed/plain cover and denser than standard foam (this can be noted in the "notes" box while ordering online). Robert said it would ship today or tomorrow so I should have it by the end of the week, like everything else on order for the bike:thumb: I'll be sure to provide some feedback here on the forum of my initial impressions as well as those down the road.

They are honoring the DRRiders.com forums discount. You just insert the forums address in as all cap's in the coupon box.

#43 ·
120 miles in the books and I am impressed. The seat is every bit as good as the Bill Mayer saddle I had on my FJR and time will tell if it measures up the RDL I had on my strom.

The denser foam works perfect for me. It's stiff enough not to collaps after 2 hours in the saddle, but still has a bit of give in it when you cross a RR track or similar road imperfection. The seat no longer slopes, it sits you up a bit taller. This works in my advantage because of my 6'02" frame. It'll also eliminate me buying a peg lowering kit. I can still flat foot the bike with both feet at a stop.

So far I have nothing but good to say about this saddle. It's by far the most cost effective seat solution, in my opinon, on the market. I've spent a lot of $$ on seats over the last few years and this one ranks right in there with the best of them.

#44 ·
The denser foam works perfect for me. It's stiff enough not to collaps after 2 hours in the saddle, but still has a bit of give in it when you cross a RR track or similar road imperfection. The seat no longer slopes, it sits you up a bit taller. This works in my advantage because of my 6'02" frame. It'll also eliminate me buying a peg lowering kit. I can still flat foot the bike with both feet at a stop.
How much do you weigh with the denser foam? Had you done anything to your stock seat prior? I am looking forward to receiving my seat, just a bit nervous of the install, but Im sure I can figure it out.

#48 ·
Chickened out on the Sargent. Too much $. Went with the Seat Concepts. Um, wow! Install was not bad at all. I used an electric stapler and Arrow 1/4" Monel staples ($23 BTW for staples!). It definitely is taller (read wider, and less dish) and that's a concern for me. I'm 5'8" and 160# so I already have Speedy's lowering kit and was on the verge of tippy-toes with the stock seat. Now for the review... This is a helluva deal. I'll have to adjust a little to the riding position but it's manageable, more dual-sport-ish (if that makes sense). The butt feel is reminiscent of a Ducati Multistrada with a little more give. The foam is firmer than stock and there is no tank creep at all (Yay!). Very happy. Glad I didn't blow the extra 2-3 bills for a whole new seat.

#49 ·
Mine should be here Monday, and I have the day off. I can hardly wait to get it on the bike as the factory seat and my butt really hate each other. :eek:

I'm of two minds on doing the job as I wa quoted $50.00 that's a fair amount of cash to staple it on. BUT to buy the good staples and a staple gun will be as much or more. And I likely would never use the gun again.

#50 ·
Wow, SC must be experiencing a huge order surge based on this forum alone.
I just added to their prosperity; standard foam, carbon texture. My arse can't wait; I've never had a stock motorcycle seat that didn't give me grief after a half hour or so and the stock Versys is as bad as they get. Tried the front raise which is marginally better but still had numb-butt after a short time.
Based on the reviews here I think the SC option is better than the Baldwin (my other option), based not only on price but also the one-way factor (no need top send the pan and then wait). I'm certainly not hesitant to tackle a DIY project like this; I have done engine & transmission rebuilds so this looks like a cakewalk.

#51 ·
I'm going to be removing the SC foam and going back to my modded OEM foam. The SC foam put me too high and too far back. I just can't get comfortable. :( An inch really does make a difference. She always says that too! :eek:

I may have my guy try and mod the SC foam, maybe we can make something work. ;)

#53 ·
It's interesting that some comments say the SC seat is "dished" and others say it is "not dished"?

Are some people comparing the seat to the stock seat and others to an aftermarket seat?

Or have different ideas of what "dished" means?

Or is the dished area moved further back or forward?

I'm confused.

#58 ·
I just did a 2000 mile round trip on my SC seat and it was fantastic. The longest run I did was 185 miles. I was ready for a little break after that, but I was after that amount of time on a Russell too. This is far and away the best value in a seat upgrade. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

#60 ·
Based on all the seat reviews I have read here I also have decided on the Seat Concepts seat. The main reason is that most people give it a good review over the more common Corben and the Sargent is still a bit of an unknown.

For around $200 delivered to Australia, I am thinking it is a fairly low risk option.

I am about 280-290 Lb fully geared up and am 6.1 with 33 in seam. I can just about flatfoot both feet with the OEM saddle on my 2012 Versys 650.

I am not sure of the foam compound I need, it seems the standard foam will compress too much for me and that I will need firm? I have seen references to +1, do they have degrees of firmness in their foam?

What is the right cover to order to minimise sliding?

#61 ·
I guess I'm the only guy on the interwebz that couldn't make his SC seat work.:( The guy that installed the foam for me makes motorcycle seats for a living. He wants me to come back with the bike and the SC foam and we will get to chopping. Maybe we can make something work. :)

#63 ·
Alot of guys here have jumped on the SC bandwagon but one thing i know from all the seats i've tried is anything is better than the stock seat. The most appeal i believe is because its cheap.

#68 ·
Well....had it put on yesterday, and I must say...... I like it!!!! The foam is much better quality....firmer....heavier. I love the way it makes the downward slope dissappear. My balls are no longer being squished!!!!
It does pull me back from the bars a bit....but I have long arms, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.
AND....another plus is that the extra inch in height, gives my knees a break :)
Good investment for sure
BIgO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.