Hard side bags - turn signals - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Hard side bags - turn signals

I've been thinking about upgrading my soft bags for some hard bags.

I am exploring some home made options as well as some others. I was in Cabelas the other day and noticed some nice size dry boxes for $30, seems like a cheap option. But as the wheels turn I'm thinking the plastic would be too thin to last with the stress of riding supported on the side. I could build a shelf on the bottom of the racks to support from the bottom but that would make some extra work. The wheels are spinning for sure.

I do like the Pelican box option the best out of the store bought options so far. I do alot of canoeing and have used Pelican boxes for many years in smaller versions. So I'm pretty confident these would hold up and are surely waterproof.

Anyhow, it seems the turn signals would need to be relocated for an optimal fit location. Do most available rack/bag options require moving the turn signals?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Hello Mike,

For Hepco and Becker junior bags, there is a need to relocate the turn signal.
I think if the new hard bags rack can be a distanced away from the turn signals and offer a gap, the will be no need to relocate the turn signals.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Original Kawa rack and bags dont need signals to be relocated and I think GIVI also doesn't require any mod on Signal.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
cheap boxes are a great idea! i used large pistol cases from walmart and they look like they belong(plano protector model 1440). these were 10.00 apeice. you can go through alot lot of these and not spend what you would on 1 pelican! if toughness is priority, seahorse is like pelican but only 44.03 at masco.com(model se-720). i used ht sl racks that are very strong and dont have the rear cross member. they will hold any box you clamp to them. mounting can be done inexpensivly from your hardware store. as for turnsignals, i removed the rubber extension and used the outer plate that held them to the fender as a washer and the screw that held the rubber to the hard plastic stalk and mounted them where they were on the fender! this keeps them plenty inside the racks and boxes! there are many choices for cheaper boxes, find ones you like and try them out.

Last edited by groovy1; 03-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Givi's ( using the non-V35 racks ) do require a turn-signal modification. They provide brackets ( but the wires are too short ) to do this but I just shortened them. Others will buy ER6N signals from BikeBandit ( they are shorter ) to accomplish the same thing.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2007 Mazda5, 2007 Honda Civic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Original Kawa rack and bags dont need signals to be relocated and I think GIVI also doesn't require any mod on Signal.

True that the givi v35 mounts do not require signal move though the install kit comes with brackets to do so. I also have the admorelighting.com led kit on my v35 side cases. It's a great set up. Super visible.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I added my diy leds for stop and signal lights to my v35. Less than $60 and works great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
My Happy Trails come with brackets to relocate the lights.

Mounting, bags and brackets for $599.

Mounting can take as little as 20 mins. easy.

You can see the relocation on the last photo here.

And they have a good seal.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)

Last edited by Toddzilla; 03-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode