Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

suspension settings for 145# rider

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
I am looking for some info on settings for me. I am 145# dressed and I don't have a clue on where the suspension should be set at on my bike. I do know that when I hit the front brake it seems to dive way too much. Maybe I am hitting it too hard because I am used to my old 600# bike with air forks. I don't have a manual with my bike and I don't know how to adjust it. It rides fairly smooth on the bumps and I have no complaints there even on the bad roads I ride on. My forks are not leaking. I am 5'4" so I lowered it with speedys kit and have the rear preload set at the lowest setting. The forks are raised as high as I can to lower the front. I have raised the front of the seat 1/2" with spacers. I am enjoying this bike a lot and sold my ZL1000 Eliminator. It was a fun bike but I enjoy this peppy little twin so much. it really handles well. I just need to remember to keep the rpms up. When I rode my Zl I used 1st and 6th gear. It had so much torque the other gears were not needed. The Versys is faster in the corners but I need to shift more to keep it in the power band.

#2 ·
I don't have the answer for you. But this will bump you up on the list. I think those in the know will want to know what year bike, how many miles, etc. If you bought used, who knows what the previous owner did to it, but the members will get you dialed back in. Personally mine dives what I think is a bit much, but seems I read some place that you want that forward weight shift to some point.
Good Luck, CJC

#3 ·
SOMEWHERE I believe I read that the Versys' suspension is factory set-up for a 150# rider, but my Gen 3 (2015 650) OWNERS MANUAL states that from the factory the standard settings are:
Forks - spring preload 2 1/2 turns IN (from the fully seated position, fully CCW) [CW will increase preload, thus stiffening the suspension]
damping force - 2 1/2 turns OUT (from the fully seated position, which is CW) [CCW will decrease damping force]
DON'T FORCE THE ADJUSTMENTS PAST FULLY SEATED, AS DAMAGE WILL RESULT!
Shock - 1 click UP from fully seated (which is CCW)

Hope this helps you....

:goodluck:

#5 · (Edited)
Lot's of how to videos on youtube on suspension setup.

I would try and get preload settings right first, then play around with rebound damping.

The lowering kit changes the mechanical advantage the swing arm has on the spring, it changes the angle of the spring/shock, so makes any default rear suspension settings in the manual invalid.

All bikes will dive a bit on the front suspension under hard braking and this is more noticeable on a bike with longer travel suspension like the versys. The problem is if you crank up the preload enough to eliminate diving under hard braking it may be too firm to absorb bumps. There is no perfect setting. Some front dive is to be expected under braking, but it should not bottom out under hard braking alone.

#6 ·
I googled the versys and found it on Kawasaki web sight. (why didn't I think of that before. duh)
two wheels, I hadn't thought about how the lever effect would change the spring rate. Thanks for that. I have always wanted a softer ride but this is a more performance handling bike than my last. but at least I have a base line for the front.

#7 ·
According to the manual peload for a 150# rider is front fork is 7 turns out from seated, and set the dampener at 1 3/4 out from seated. Rear spring is 5th setting and 5th click out from seated. motowerks lowering kit has an effect of softening the rear suspension.

#8 ·
Can't help ya...Hell i weighed 200lbs in the 8th grade..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.