Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Let's so I don't care about fuel consumption. While idling for 30 minutes do harm?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Tomasama 
#1 ·
I have a phone charger that can plug into my bike, but I don't feel comfortable having the wire hanging around my handlebars while I'm actually on the road. Let's say I've stopped by a gas station on road trip and I'm taking a break, If I let the bike idle for extended periods of time while the phone charges, is it doing any more damage than wasting gas?

#2 ·
Just shut the bike off. I routinely leave the phone charge for an hour or so along with the Garmin plugged in.

On TDY in Glacier Park, then on to BC.

Reactions: aboyandhisversys
#3 ·
youll over heat your motor . it needs air passing over it and thru the rad to cool it off. if your just sitting the heat from the headers is going right to the rad and the heat from the muffler is going right up to the oil pan.. and your wasting gas. if your overly concerned about your phone staying plugged in with the bike off wire up a booster pack inline like a UPS(uninterrupted power supply) to a switch power supply. so when the bikes on its charging the booster pack and your phone and when the bikes off it charges your phone from the booster pack (and most of them can charge a phone a few times over on one charge)

#11 ·
+1.

From the 2017 Owner's Manual:

NOTICE. Do not let the engine idle longer than 5 minutes, or engine over-heating and damage may occur.

#8 ·
So the basic concensus is that I won't have any issues just leaving the battery on for an hour while the phone charges? I'm leaving on a 2 week camping trip tomorow. don't want to be stuck with a dead battery because I was charging my phone at a gas station!

#9 ·
I'm not sure, but I think the alternator doesn't charge the battery if it runs at idle, so you'd discharge the battery also.

Just use a longer cable and charge your phone while riding, what is the problem?
I have it in my pocket and I have no problem.

#12 ·
Zip Ties or Velcro is your friend.....

#13 ·
charging a phone, or a tablet or a phone and table will NOT make your battery go dead.

Many nights when I am camping I will have 1 my phone, 2 my tablet, 3 my bluetooth speaker.
I plug them in when I go to bed, get up in the AM and they are all charged and ready, My bike starts just fine.

#16 ·
I don't think you have anything to worry about with usb cables on the handlebars.
To give you some direction what I did was loosely wrap the cables around the clamp of my phone holder and added a twist-tie to keep them from flopping around.
I then checked the tension of the cables by turning the handle bars left and right to make sure the usb cables didn't pop out of the socket.

As for idle charging, from what i know , the stator isn't generating enough electricity to charge the battery and run electrics on the bike when the engine is at idle rpm.
i don't know the precise tipping point rpm when the stator starts making surplus electricity and it would vary depending on how many devices/switches are drawing power. My guess is probably around 3000 rpm.
hope that helps!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.