Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

10,000 miles and beyond what have you had to fix?

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Oregonversys 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 that I bought new, ABS, green mean machine! I am wondering what major repairs some of you might have had to do from zero to 10,000 miles? I know some bikes are lemons, some bikes are rode hard and put away wet, while others are babied and are just used to putt around on. I ride mine quite often, do not winterize it so that means year around. I don't baby it yet I don't ride it like a maniac either. Rarely get over 7 grand on the tach but don't mind doing it when I get up to 100 Mph.

Ok, there is the intro, now onto what I have had to do to my bike in the first 10,000 miles. We will not count oil changes, I hope you are all doing that all the time anyway! I am on my third set of tires. I had my stock chain go bad so I had to replace my chain. Hmmm, I guess that is it! I bought this thing to put gas in it and ride and so far it has rewarded me with great reliability. Anybody have something go bad on the bike that maybe I should be looking out for? I still have the original antifreeze in her but I bought some new stuff and plan on changing that this summer.

#2 ·
Maybe change your plugs. I always changed my brake pads, anti-freeze and brake fluid every 2 years.

#7 ·
In addition to oil changes and new tires, from 0-10,000 just one set of spark plugs. Currently at 71,000 kms on my '09 (44,000 miles) so to answer the "10,000 miles and beyond" part of your question:
(all converted to miles)
14,800 - replaced plugs, air filter, brake fluid
22,300 - replaced all brake pads
24,200 - new battery, chain, plugs (valves in spec)
24,000 - replaced coolant
29,200 - replaced both high & low beam bulbs (burned out days apart) replaced clutch cable
34,700 - replaced chain & sprockets, rear brake pad
41,000 - replaced plugs, air filter, coolant, brake fluid and ignition coil from #1 cylinder (valves adjusted)

I think this illustrates a pretty short list. Everything on it is wear out parts, no different than oil or tires. With the exception maybe of the clutch cable - which should be noted was replaced as a "just in case" before a long trip only to find, on detailed inspection, it was still in good shape. And, the ignition coil - which really counts as the only thing that "broke" on this bike through 71,000 kms!

#8 ·
Within 800 miles of owning my 14, I hated it with a passion, I cant tell you how much I hated this bike.. The Vibes, the anemic performance, just blah... But folks here kept telling me to give it a bit more time. Now at nearing 9K on the bike (sorry not the 10K you asked about) it has been, absolutely flawless. Fuel mapping is spot on, and other than oil changes and rear tire, anything else I have done to it has been for personal preferences/ adjustments. Chain still has good life left, front tire nearing end of its life, probably replace end of summer. The best improvement I have made on the bike, For me, was rotating the bars forward probably 3 degrees or so. heck I even find the stock seat somewhat comfy.

#9 ·
I love my bike just for the reasons you guys are talking about. When I see those "higher" mile bikes comments they tell me that my baby will be strong for a long time!

The guy that hated the bike at first came in strong! Seems you have warmed up to her, well at least are happy with the reliability? I feel you on the vibes, I don't think of them much, just a motorcycle thing sometimes I think. When I don't ride for a few weeks I can get some "tingly" fingers after a long ride.

Changed the oil today, I think the 7th time since new. Today was the worst one. Oil filter fight, stupid reason.

#10 ·
I have owned bikes I have absolutely loved immediately, My Ulysses was one of those. However over time I found I questioned the reliability, even though it never let me down, and the heat was pretty intense in traffic..But i Loved riding it.. The V was the opposite, like I stated.. I started out with " What the heck did I just buy" and then moved into the " Well I like the pretty green, and at least its reliable" phase and now I'm like " O.k, I get it, I just get this bike, we work well together" ..I'm not one to have my mind changed often on bikes, But I admit I was very wrong with my initial perception of the bike.

#13 · (Edited)
Nothing out of the ordinary besides regular wear and tear items.

- Clean air filter regularly
- Chain and front sprocket, rear should last for two chains and is easy to replace without removing chain if it does not. Always replace front sprocket with chain
- Spark plugs
- Valve adjust, very important for long engine life
- Front brake pads, rears will last forever
- Tires
- Clutch cable
- Bent levers
- Bent shifter linkage bar
- Battery

#14 ·
I have an 09 picked it up pretty worn and grungy at 30k miles. Like ronheater70 I really wanted not a thing to do with my Versys. I got it because it was cheap, and I wanted to learn some maintenance.
I did a valve adjustment, new rotors (original ones were warped, clean your bobbins!!!) Tune up stuff, and a bunch of farkles and cleanup.
It's been a bit over a year, and it's really a lovely, dependable bike. I still don't quite understand what it's supposed to be, but I always find myself intregued by it on every ride. Learning it's boundaries, and learning that it's a Versys, not a run of the mill bike. It's unique.
But otherwise I'm at about 32k and it's humming along just fine.

#15 ·
I haven't had my 15' long enough to answer your questions (4k+ miles) but the only things I've had to fix were slide related breakage. Rear tire is wearing a bit faster than I had hoped (I should get 8-9K out of it). Overall it's doing what I wanted/expected. Not as comfortable as the 1500 Vulcan Classic it replaced but I was expecting that also. My nephews (all 3 ride various age/models of HD's) want to test ride it. I have told them "sure" but you might just want to get rid of that HD afterwards. It's too much fun compared to a HD.

Their one complaint seems to be that they can't hear it running. Too used to those big V-twins with straight pipes.

#16 ·
One of the reasons I bought my Versys this Spring was because of the rock solid reliability of my Ninja 650, same motor and all. My Ninja has 24,000 miles on it and it's only needed wear items replaced. Looking forward to putting the miles on the Versys. Taking my first long trip from Boston to Milwaukee and back, leaving next week Friday. Should be a more comfortable ride than when I took the Ninja.

#17 ·
The Ninja 650 has been around since '06 in the states and there are many who reported over 100,000 miles on them. In those 100,000 miles there were very few failures reported. Fuel pump was one reported, but that can be attributed to getting gas at a hole in the wall country gas station and running too close to empty too many times.

I always told people that if I was forced to drop down to only one bike that was in my stable at the time, it would be the Versys. I only parted with mine because my work travel needs changed and I wanted a bike that was sub-400 lbs to load in the back of my truck.

I went to a Kawasaki Demo day in '11 with the intent of checking out the Ninja 1000 as a replacement to my Ninja 650. I rode the Ninja 1000, the Concours 1400, the Vaquero, and I had time for one more ride and decided to hop on the Versys 650. The Versys put the biggest smile on my face among all the other bikes. I hated the Ninja 1000s engine vibes. The Concours I knew I would add to my stable for distance touring at a later date, but the Versys was the bike I knew I had to have. I enjoyed all of the 30,000 miles I put on it.

#18 ·
...The Versys put the biggest smile on my face among all the other bikes. I hated the Ninja 1000s engine vibes. The Concours I knew I would add to my stable for distance touring at a later date, but the Versys was the bike I knew I had to have. I enjoyed all of the 30,000 miles I put on it.
Me TOO (about 135,000 miles among my three Vs...)!

#19 ·
I am heading out for a nice sunny ride right after this post!

I had my tires replaced a few weeks ago and the dealer said my countershaft seal was leaking and needed replaced. I looked at it and yeah it was a mess around that area but I told him I am pretty sure its just chain lube (always a huge mess on my bike!) I had not changed the oil for about six months at that time so I checked the oil and it was right up to the top. Sure did not seem like anything was leaking with the oil still where it should be. Anyone have to replace this seal yet? I am going to hold off for now.

#20 ·
2008 Versys 650

The good in 32k miles:
-oil (2 quarts every time) @ 7500 miles, filter every other time.
-tires 3 fronts, 5 rears.
-lots of fuel

bad:
-chain at 22k, wore out very quickly at that point. Kawi torques the sprocket nut to 1200 ft-lbs instead of the 120 ft-lb's indicated :mad:.
-FUEL PUMP up and quit out of nowhere in 33* weather near my house. Thank god it happened there... THIS IS A KAWASAKI PROBLEM ACROSS THE BOARD.
-throttle body subthrottle actuator failure - replaced tb

Otherwise pretty okay bike. Can't complain too much.

#23 · (Edited)
The shift linkage rod (connects shifter lever to transmission) seems to bend very easily on the threaded section. Not even sure what bends it. I've had to replace a few. Current rod is bent but I am not replacing it as shifting is fine. What ever the case cheap and easy replacement.

City light bulb (the light above head lights) on my Versys II seemed to fail frequently until I realized it was vibrating out of push in socket. A piece of tape solved this issue.

#25 ·
I had to replace the clutch cable due to poor assembly by the dealer, it was a problem from the beginning I found that they had it kinked bad. Right fork tube sealed failed and took advantage of the extended warranty or should I say I gave them another opportunity to take advantage of a situation.
So same dealer; Top of the fuel tank chipped/ kinked clutch cable/ warranty service covered but ended up paying what the typical cost for the repair/ complained about the condition of the bike needing new tires which they were trying to strong arm sale and started to refuse to return the bike... this was getting ugly BAD dealer never again, did I say I had bought 3 bikes from them. nasty for sure.

I have really enjoyed this bike especially with the Perelli scorpions on it, spooned two pairs on and this last time they were unavailable and the II's were sold out so I got the shinco's and hate them. I'll be watching for a sale on the Perelli scorpion II's to go on sale.

You've signed up to a great forum, most of the guys chiming in here have been a wealth of knowledge regarding this bike.
Have a great one, BTW I'm in Clackamas County, you?

#28 ·
You've signed up to a great forum, most of the guys chiming in here have been a wealth of knowledge regarding this bike.
Have a great one, BTW I'm in Clackamas County, you?
Linn county, we rode 100 miles yesterday, some ferry over the river and Rouge Farms near Independence. Great place, a lot of bikes there yesterday.

#26 ·
21K nope, but I do lube my chain every 400-600 miles, early on i was using a few different brands that made an absolute mess of everything(still find it occasionally), Been using the Honda Chain Lube for about 16k. this winter I'll have the valve guides checked and will get into this area for reviewing on the chain and sprockets\;]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.