Mods in Stuff - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mods in Stuff

I've had my 2016 Versys for a few weeks now and plan to do some personalization to the bike. I've read through the forum quite a bit to find items that may interest me but would like some input in either value or need in some of these cases.

Mods that are in the works/paid for. For sure I'm doing a couple changes right away. I'm getting the Kawi over clock gps mount and DC port. I planned on having my dealer do the install during my break-in service. I've watched videos on youtube and the DC port seems really simple to do but thought I would have the dealership do it since I'm not sure how to wire the gps unit. On my old Nighthawk I ran the leads right to the battery, did that myself, very straightforward. On my Ninja I had the dealership do it so it would turn off and on with my my bike and they did a first class job.

On my short list of things to do soon afterward are heated grips, mirror extenders, engine guards and a centerstand. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the SW Motech guards for my bike, I like how they look though I realize they aren't the most robust. I've chosen the Hepco Becker centerstand as I've read on here that it doesn't interfere with the kickstand. I am concerned about chain slack hitting the centerstand and this has me reconsidering having a centerstand at all. I'm having a devil of a time getting the mirrors adjusted where I like them. I got so used to fairing mounted mirrors on my Ninja that these bar mounted mirrors are just oddly placed and too close to me no matter how I position them. I think weijo posted some heated grips on Amazon that have the controls integrated onto the grips.

Other things I'm considering are fog lights, gear indicator or temp gauge. None of these I feel are critical but like the idea of them.

Surprised by a few stock items that are okay with me. I actually like the stock seat so far and see no reason to replace it, I haven't gone on a real long ride yet so that may change. The windscreen is adequate and the bar position and pegs suit me just fine.

One other item had crossed my mind, does anyone recommend or use some kind of clear adhesive to protect the bags from road debris or wayward boots scuffing the plastic?

So any thoughts from those who have done any of these changes please share or if you've done something to your bike that you strongly recommend I look at please share that as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM

I have done a few mods not on your list.

1) Headlight modulator - Comagination

2) Signal minder SM3 - Cancels signals and can also be set up to use signals as running/brake lights with 4 short on/off before on solid. This requires red lenses on the rear. A member on hear suggested using Testors red transparent model paint on the rear lens, worked well.

3) I went with T-Rex engine guard and fork sliders kit. $204 on Amazon, good build quality and fit (no mods, cutting, drilling etc. required)

4) Action cam (in dash cam mode) mounted to the engine guard. Provides several hours of looping video. Starts up whenever it gets 12V.

5) Small tank bag. I find this very handy for items I use frequently when stopping, sunglasses etc.. $16 on eBay, Bag is decent quality but magnets that came with it are too weak. Added some super strong magnets from Home Depot <$5 just slip into the magnet pockets. now it stays put on the tank.

Food for thought

JoH
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 PM

I've got that center stand, can confirm, the chain rubs it if it gets too slack... Which is annoying...

I caught it before anything serious, its just ground a 1/16"deep gouge into the frame of the stand, the chain is fine.

All in all it just requires diligence on chain slack. I don't really fear for the integrity of the stand, it's obviously got more meat than it needs to support the weight of the bike, that being said I won't be leaving it for any extended length of time on the stand now... I have yet to file down the groove to reduce the chance of stress cracks forming....

I'll definitely be posting a thread if anything crazy happens.

All in all I still wouldn't go without having a center stand, its basically mandatory for me now, I can't go back to cleaning the chain without one... Or changing sprockets... Ugh..

EDIT: I would at least consider a radiator guard. While the Mk3 V is NOT an offroad bike, it would REALLY suck to take it down a dirt road to a camp site and smash a rock through your rad....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
I've got that center stand, can confirm, the chain rubs it if it gets too slack... Which is annoying...

I caught it before anything serious, its just ground a 1/16"deep gouge into the frame of the stand, the chain is fine.

All in all it just requires diligence on chain slack. I don't really fear for the integrity of the stand, it's obviously got more meat than it needs to support the weight of the bike, that being said I won't be leaving it for any extended length of time on the stand now... I have yet to file down the groove to reduce the chance of stress cracks forming....

I'll definitely be posting a thread if anything crazy happens.

All in all I still wouldn't go without having a center stand, its basically mandatory for me now, I can't go back to cleaning the chain without one... Or changing sprockets... Ugh..

EDIT: I would at least consider a radiator guard. While the Mk3 V is NOT an offroad bike, it would REALLY suck to take it down a dirt road to a camp site and smash a rock through your rad....
My last five bikes, two had centerstands and three only had kickstands. The two bikes with centerstands, one was shaft drive and the other belt drive, the other three were all chain drive, that's messed up. I thought it was only the SW Motech centerstand that rubbed the chain, sad to hear the Hepco Becker stand has the same issue. I'm not the most disciplined with chain maintenance and would hate to cause some damage to my bike but I really would like a centerstand. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

Would a fender extender be good enough to protect the radiator from rocks and debris being thrown up from the front tire. I try to avoid unpaved roads but every now and then I stumble across one.

Thanks for the information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 AM

gps: well, if you bought a zumo you'd already have the easy to install no fuss ram mount for handlebar. People complain the zumo is expensive but they forget this is included.

gear indicator: no
voltmeter: yes, and I dare say almost critical.

centerstand: no, never needed one.
sidestand foot enlarger: yes.

t-rex: no
hepcobecker guard: yes

fog/aux lights: no. wait til you need them.

paint/plastic protection: plastidip
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
gps: well, if you bought a zumo you'd already have the easy to install no fuss ram mount for handlebar. People complain the zumo is expensive but they forget this is included.
I do have a Zumo, it's the old 550. I do not want to use the ram mount for the handlebar, it's not bad and is useable but I think it will suit me better over the instrument cluster. And I agree, the Zumo is much more than a gps in a box, there is the mount for the car, computer software and a bunch of other useful little items. Still, it's expensive for what it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Assuming you have a voltmeter, what brand do you have, where did you get it, and how is it mounted?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Referencing the HB centerstand. I took an angle grinder to it to remove some metal. I did it at an angle. Works well.

12volt outlet. I have one. It is virtually unusable if you have bark busters/hand guards. The cord coming out of the outlet interferes with the guard bracket. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but it is useless. I use a powered tank bag off of the Battery Tender lead.

Volt meter. It works a promised, I like it. Make sure you get the auto dimming one. I bought the 8mm and it looks factory at the 5 o'clock position of the MaKaw gear indicator.

Eclipse Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

Consider Rostra cruise control for travelling. A bit of a pain to install but way worth it.

I found the stock seat OK for 3-4 hours but after that, not so good. A Seat Concepts seat is on it now, mucho gooder.

I've put almost 9,000 miles on it since last December. I really like this bike.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Assuming you have a voltmeter, what brand do you have, where did you get it, and how is it mounted?
i have a cheap ebay special (was like $3) i tapped it into one of the front parking lights and mounted into my dash (cut a hole for it)

if i can find it ill link to the thread of when i installed it

Dash mount volt meter

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 05-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Tell us more about the Rostra Cruise Control.
Do you have it?
Which one did you get?
Install?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
12volt outlet. I have one. It is virtually unusable if you have bark busters/hand guards. The cord coming out of the outlet interferes with the guard bracket.

I just recently installed my OEM electrical socket. I discovered the same thing as you, so I took the OEM bark busters off my LT. Didn't need those hand guards anyway so no big deal.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
This below is my DIY version, but there are simpler versions in that thread.
Neat little voltmeter (review)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
Do you have it?
Which one did you get?
Install?

There is an excellent write up done by ???(CRS). Do a search, it should show up.

Install is pretty straight forward if you can work with wiring, a bit of very light fab work, and are detail oriented. And it will take a while. I used a water proof ATV switch and a toggle sw for on/off for controlling the cruise instead of their optional pad control.

The cruise works quite well except it's a bit laggy when hitting resume if you are over set speed. If you pass someone with the cruise engaged and then coast, it's quite late in responding to the slow down. I double checked the dip switches and tried moving a couple but it is what it is. Overall, I love it.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
This below is my DIY version, but there are simpler versions in that thread.
Neat little voltmeter (review)
That's the same one that I put on. Neat farkle.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Why is that?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...12volt outlet. I have one. It is virtually unusable if you have bark busters/hand guards. The cord coming out of the outlet interferes with the guard bracket. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but it is useless. I use a powered tank bag off of the Battery Tender lead....
Quote:
I just recently installed my OEM electrical socket. I discovered the same thing as you, so I took the OEM bark busters off my LT. Didn't need those hand guards anyway so no big deal.
I installed the 12v plug from Cycle Gear (about $13 or so), into the left-side 'opening' in the dash on my '15. Just went out to my garage, stuck a plug into it, then turned the steering to FULL lock both ways. NO interference at all! (BTW - I have slightly modded the position of the OEM hand-guards to angled down, which MIGHT be the reason that mine don't interfere - MAYBE try moving them a bit.)

Here's a pic of the installation

and here's where I hooked up the wires to the OEM wires after I installed the Kawi relay (about $16 CDN)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-18-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Rostra Electronic Cruise Control (250-1223) on 2015 Versys 650 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
Do you have it?
Which one did you get?
Install?
Rostra Electronic Cruise Control (250-1223) on 2015 Versys 650 ABS

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode