New to Versys needs veteran ears - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New to Versys needs veteran ears

Hey All.

As you may know from new member I picked up 08 Red 650

I own a 81 GL1100 among others and I am adding a side car to it, its a fun ride but I had some extra cash and wanted something a little newer and better handling to adventure tour on.

I started by looking at BMW R1150RLS, thought abut R1200RT or GS. I had owned A 98 R1100Rt in the past but sold it due to not wanting the up keep but I did like the ride.

Also thought about a V-Strom 1000

I saw a Versys on CL , read all the reviews and decided to go look, ride and the rest is history.

Now here is where I need some advice, as a single rider the new to Me Verse is great.

But 80% of my riding is with my wife.
So first off we travel so I need lager cases, it has Givi E22 with racks great for city but not touring for 2.

So I picked up a complete set V35 sides and V45 rear.
Purchased rear rack and side rack (still waiting in mail for side racks .) V45 is on.

So storage is taken care of.

Now I need to make this comfortable for us.

I am 5' 8" 160 she is 4' 11" so we are not big people.

She says she has plenty of room.

Looking at the bike it does seam short to me, does anyone hear ride 2up?

My 1st complaint like most is seat sucks! I thought I would start by doing seat mod.

But I still think I would like aftermarket seat, Rich's is local thought about taking my seat to him and have it Done for us.

Any thoughts on 2 up seat? And making 2 up comfortable?

Any thoughts on this bike for 2 up?

Am I barking up wrong tree?

Should I try a V-1000?

Really like the weight and handling of this bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 PM

I rode wife on her 650. I'm 5-10 and she is 5-9. No issues with power or handling. Seemed fine. She has Adcox custom, which is right comfy.

I'm more pleased with the 650 than ANY other bike I've ridden in general terms. I like my Guzzi better, but that's just a big powerful cool weird bike fetish. The Versys is a better all around bike. Based on having a DL1000 VStrom, I really can't see the great push to litre bikes.
mbclark222 likes this.

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I am thinking to,
For me its always been 1000 or bigger cc only because I don't like listening to motor rev like it needs another gear.

But this bike has 6th gear and high rpm haven't done a long ride yet though.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Garage
Can't help with V650 questions, I have a 1000LT. But I'm 6-2 and the wife is 5-7 and find the Versys very comfortable
even more than my FJR was.

The bike's seat height is high, so be careful considering a 1000.

2016 Versys 1000LT Roseville, CA
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone else ?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:50 AM

At 5' 8" you should be okay with the Versys and two up should not pose a big safety issue. The one thing good about the Versys is that its forgiving in handling.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM

I've shrunk slightly over the years to 5' 9" so I decided to install the Moto Werk suspension lowering block so I could put more of my feet on the ground. It was one of the best mods I've made and I feel much more comfortable. Especially since I've found that the older I become, the heavier stuff becomes - bike, wife, etc. - and I prefer being upright at stops rather than on my side in the weeds!

Regarding seats - saddles - I wish you good luck. There are almost as many opinions here as there are forum members. Personally I find my Corbin saddle to be well suited to my backside. Others dislike it intensely. There are a ton of choices but it can become costly finding the one that's right for you and your spouse. Maybe there are forum members in your area who have installed aftermarket saddles. If so, you might contact them and see if you can at least sit aboard their bike.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im 6'2 and ride 2-up with my roommate on the back 3/4 of the time i ride.. only thing he complains about is the clit tickler on the very front of the passenger seat. as for luggage im not the one to talk to . i only have a small trunk box ,tank bag and backpack

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All,

Thanks for reply

I am good on luggage .
Good on handling I am not a noob at this most of my bikes are 1000 or bigger.

Really just want to make sure this is good for 2up or make, it the best I can for 2up.
If not is there a better bike?

I think that will means better seat! Risers, maybe lowering.
I realize its a combo.

Maybe 5/8 guys can voice in on mods.

So who can chime in on Seats for 2 up ?

While I am at it I have been reading heated gear stuff,
We run jacket and gloves

IPhone maybe SAtalite , Led front lights.

What I have read there is plenty of power, but may want to add fuse box.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also

At 5/8 I don't know how tall guys do the pegs , I say my knees are to bent.

Hear is what think

Start hear:

Raise seat in front see if that helps, I have sheep skins on now.
If still don't like get aftermarket or have seat made.

Driver:
Sit on bike ride, make small adjustments (handlebar risers + lower foot pegs+ highway pegs + lowing kit.

Passenger:

Sit on bike, adjust rear trunk/backrest till comfortable / may have to raise or lower foot pegs.

I believe it all starts with seat then adjustments.

Really I a think main question is can this bike be comfortable and enough room for 2 up long distant ride?
Yes I realize its not a wing!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That sounds like a old plan
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
Can't help with V650 questions, I have a 1000LT. But I'm 6-2 and the wife is 5-7 and find the Versys very comfortable
even more than my FJR was.

The bike's seat height is high, so be careful considering a 1000.
Can confirm. 6'4", seat is very high and passenger is even higher haha.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
im 6'2 and ride 2-up with my roommate on the back 3/4 of the time i ride.. only thing he complains about is the clit tickler on the very front of the passenger seat. as for luggage im not the one to talk to . i only have a small trunk box ,tank bag and backpack
Silvs, arent you married?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:29 PM

I forgot to mention that I also installed the Moto Werk foot peg lowering blocks and even though I'm only 5' 9" it made riding more comfortable. And with an artificial left hip that's an important thing for me. Getting old is crap by the way.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
Silvs, arent you married?
yes im married.
my husband is about 60# heavier then me so when he is on the back sylvester gets a bit...ummm... "front end happy" with him on the back, but he rides his own bike most of the time (honda shadow vlx600) but our roommate doesnt has his endorsement so he rides on the back of my bike alot of the time, and is much closer to my weight so the front doesnt get as wild when i get right hand happy

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboy View Post
...Now I need to make this comfortable for us.

I am 5' 8" 160 she is 4' 11" so we are not big people....
Lower your footpegs - the motowerk one lowers them 1/3" (I'm 5'9", 177#) - and I have 2" ROX RISERS as well.

I ride w/ a passenger who is about 5'3", 120# - she says she's very comfortable on my stock seats, but I raised the fronts by 9/16". Helps a LOT!
DaveC and Lours_Polaire like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
yes im married.
my husband is about 60# heavier then me so when he is on the back sylvester gets a bit...ummm... "front end happy" with him on the back, but he rides his own bike most of the time (honda shadow vlx600) but our roommate doesnt has his endorsement so he rides on the back of my bike alot of the time, and is much closer to my weight so the front doesnt get as wild when i get right hand happy
Literally answered exactly what I was wondering about haha!

I just picked up a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 for my girlfriend. The 1000 is really comfortable for a second rider, but I was pushing her to ride her own damn bike.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
Literally answered exactly what I was wondering about haha!

I just picked up a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 for my girlfriend. The 1000 is really comfortable for a second rider, but I was pushing her to ride her own damn bike.
ha ya i know what you mean. i built my husband his first real street bike 5-6 years ago (honda 200cc twinstar i made into a bobber) and got him to get his endorsement then a bit over a year ago i nagged him into getting a bigger bike so we could ride more and he could be more conferrable and he sided on the honda shadow.. partly because tho i ride a kawi im still deep down a honda lover ( you meet the nicest people on a honda). admittedly not the biggest fan of the vlx shadow, reallly really hate where the battery is on the damn thing.. makes it hell to replace and hate the rubber mount bars but what really matters is he likes it so what ever

the biggest thing i found to getting my husband more into biking was to get him on as meany bikes as i could. when he started he really hatted the seat on the bobber so i made him another one and he was a bit happier with it. especially after he sat on and rode my cafe bike with a hard wood seat and almost no suspension on portland roads = powdered spine and hips after a days ride. so he found his bobber much better

then over the years we would go to bike dealers and i would force him to sit on other bikes and see how nice a real seat is lol
then finally we ended up on the shadow (tho the one we both really liked was the phantom we couldnt find one in his price range)

i honestly think a fz6 might not be the greatest starter bike to try to push her into. i always recommend starting someone on the most under powered POS you can find because if you can ride a pile of **** a well working bike is super easy... but not all people agree (how i learned to drive as a kid )
so if you dont want to go the POS rout id still recommend starting her on something smaller, and make her sit on all type of bikes,(sport bike , touring bike, dirt bike, croozer, super moto, so on) so she can try all the different seating positions because well to each there own. some people can never get conferrable in like a jokey (traditional sport bike) position but fell fin on a croozer (laid back passion) i personally like a more up right position or my back and knees start to hurt and i start to ride to fast(run away from the pain)

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
oh and i think a key here is FEMALE passengers are far happier on the rear seat then MALE passengers..... not tring to make the old nuts to butt joke here... trust me.....

what it really comes down to is what alot of sports bike people (atleast some that i knew) that call this lump on the rear seat the clit tickler.... its built in to make the ride more "enjoyable" for the female passenger.(they even make things to BOOST that pleasure) ... but what it is when your a male passenger is a ball buster great at ramming your nuts right deep back into you like your 6 y/o again (in no way fun)

in all reality its designed there to "help" the passenger from sliding forward..........or is it?

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
ha ya i know what you mean. i built my husband his first real street bike 5-6 years ago (honda 200cc twinstar i made into a bobber) and got him to get his endorsement then a bit over a year ago i nagged him into getting a bigger bike so we could ride more and he could be more conferrable and he sided on the honda shadow.. partly because tho i ride a kawi im still deep down a honda lover ( you meet the nicest people on a honda). admittedly not the biggest fan of the vlx shadow, reallly really hate where the battery is on the damn thing.. makes it hell to replace and hate the rubber mount bars but what really matters is he likes it so what ever

the biggest thing i found to getting my husband more into biking was to get him on as meany bikes as i could. when he started he really hatted the seat on the bobber so i made him another one and he was a bit happier with it. especially after he sat on and rode my cafe bike with a hard wood seat and almost no suspension on portland roads = powdered spine and hips after a days ride. so he found his bobber much better

then over the years we would go to bike dealers and i would force him to sit on other bikes and see how nice a real seat is lol
then finally we ended up on the shadow (tho the one we both really liked was the phantom we couldnt find one in his price range)

i honestly think a fz6 might not be the greatest starter bike to try to push her into. i always recommend starting someone on the most under powered POS you can find because if you can ride a pile of **** a well working bike is super easy... but not all people agree (how i learned to drive as a kid )
so if you dont want to go the POS rout id still recommend starting her on something smaller, and make her sit on all type of bikes,(sport bike , touring bike, dirt bike, croozer, super moto, so on) so she can try all the different seating positions because well to each there own. some people can never get conferrable in like a jokey (traditional sport bike) position but fell fin on a croozer (laid back passion) i personally like a more up right position or my back and knees start to hurt and i start to ride to fast(run away from the pain)
Her first bike was a 1987 Kawasaki KZ305 LTD haha. Its technically her second bike, and the third in line that shes ridden herself(2016 FZ07). Her first real bike because its not older than her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode