Replacement sprockets 2015+ - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Trbl
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By trialsguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Replacement sprockets 2015+

Has anyone replaced both sprockets and chain on a 2015+ plus yet?
If so what brands did you use and where did you get them.
I am about to turn 17,000 miles on my 2015 and I am looking
to swap mine out before I zip to Bar Harbor for a lobster
next month. Any help would be great!!
Cheers
Woodman

Last edited by woodyburns; 04-29-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Just the regular "JT" or "Sun Star" sprockets, same as on the Gen 1 and 2 Vs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 06:29 PM

On average, how long do sprockets usually last on the Versys 650 before needing to be replaced?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
On average, how long do sprockets usually last on the Versys 650 before needing to be replaced?
Depends if you clean and lube your chain religiously, keep it properly tensioned and aligned, etc.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:45 PM

Original chain and sprockets will typically last 15 to 20,000 miles. The original chain is "OK" but there are better aftermarket chains that will get you in the 25,000 range with similar steel sprockets.
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl View Post
...The original chain is "OK" but there are better aftermarket chains that will get you in the 25,000 range with similar steel sprockets.
The OEM chain on my '08 V lasted about 56,000 MILES on ONLY WD40 to clean and lube it. Changed countershaft sprockets at around 29K miles, rear one same time I replaced the chain.

Here's a link to the thread I posted about the 'change'....

Changing my ORIGINAL chain and rear sprocket
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM

The steel counter shaft sprockets are quite a bit louder than the MaKaw damped ones. I installed a D.I.D. x ring with JT sprockets in the kit at 11k miles. The bike had already had at least the rear sprocket and the chain replaced. Apparently chain maintenance was not in the previous owners repertoire.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
The steel counter shaft sprockets are quite a bit louder than the MaKaw damped ones....
I wear ear-plugs, so I never noticed....
whiting57 likes this.

Ed

..)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 PM

While my bike is brand new, I changed the front out immediately from a 15 tooth to a 16 tooth @ 50 kms ( 30 miles) , this was primarily to correct the speedo with a bonus slight drop in the rpm's .... the rear and chain remained the same.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 AM

My '08 V has 30,000 miles on it with the original stock chain and rear sprocket. I replaced the countershaft sprocket a couple of years ago. I expect to get another 10,000 miles before replacing the chain and sprockets.
quexpress likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I wear ear-plugs, so I never noticed....

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode