Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

LS2 Helmets: What are you $0.02?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  raverson 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm into getting a new Helmet. My old HJC needs an update after several years of service.

I'm looking into what fits and protects. But I've noticed that LS2 helmets have great designs, features, and specially price.

I've tried to do some researc, and they are Chinese made; Headquarters in Barcelona, Spain.

What do you know about this brand? Do you have one? A friend of yours has one? Have you tried them?

Whatever information you can share, would help the community, I guess.

#2 · (Edited)
I would check out the Shoei Quest (round to med oval fit). These are a highly rated/reviewed helmet on clearance most places online right now at up to 50% off. Shoei is in the process of replacing the Quest model with an updated model so it is a great time to buy heavily discounted old stock. Bell helmets can be a great choice if you have a longer oval head shape.

Helmets will vary considerably by the head shape they fit optimally, the ventilation they offer, weight, comfort, safety, crash protection certification, convenience features, price and graphics. The only way to know what is best for you is to try on lots of helmets and do lots of reading. Unfortunately you can't judge things like ventilation and noise in he showroom but 4 front vents will be better than 2 and multiple exhaust vents are better than 1.

Fit generally puts you in one of three categories between the extremes of a long oval head shape (long from front of head to back of head in proportion to head width) and the round headed (many Asian people). Check out www.webbikeworld.com for reviews.

My personal preference is for mid priced FF helmets (~$400 range). You get a lot of features of the high end helmets (~$800+) at a lower price point and I don't need an ultra light carbon shell but they are a lot cooler, more protective and comfortable and lighter than than cheaper helmets (~$200). Things like better ventilation and more accurate fit and higher safety ratings. WRT safety ratings look for Snell 2015 or ECE ratings. Do consider purchasing a dark tinted visor with your clear visor as these are really nice to have on a sunny day, and don't have the sometimes compromised safety, restricted venting, and increased shell size issues of a helmet with a drop down inner visor. Pinlock visors are amazing if you ride in the rain or cold as they are about the only thing that completely eliminates fogging.

Although you can't always see the difference in construction, cheap helmets use a single thickness of ABS throughout in the plastic shell and a single type of foam for shock absorption. As the price goes up you start to see composite laminates of fiberglass and Kevlar and other exotic fibers of varying thickness throughout the shell that is locally stiffened in certain areas of the shell that require it and different foam densities of layered foam under the shell for shock absorption. Also things like cheek pad thickness may be altered for a customized fit.

Hope my brain dump on the subject is helpful.

#3 · (Edited)
LS2 is a GREAT bang for the buck helmet. Period.

I will say to pay attention to their interior shapes as found on their website.

If it says long oval, it is. I have a medium to long oval head shape so their helmets generally fit me quite well.

This is the helmet I have:

#7 ·
Where I live, LS2 has a reputation of "cheapest helmet that you should ever buy". Safe enough, good value for money, the default pillion helmet to keep as a spare. Half of our scooter riders wear LS2s and many beginner (or just poor) motorcyclists. It probably will protect you sufficiently, but the build quality, comfort, features, etc. tend to be a league below the top players. On the other hand, it's also a league above most of the Chinese, barely-DOT, cheap plastic crap. It's the cheapest helmet I'd ride in.

You'll likely see it as a downgrade from a HJC (unless it was one of the cheapest HJCs, then it's probably roughly the same standard).

#9 ·
I bought one for my cousin in Peru. It seemed well made, nice finish. Even came with a pinlock and free leg bag which i kept. My cousin loves it. I almost bought one for myself. I should've. They have more colorful designs in other countries. It was interesting to find out these helmets are $70 cheaper in South America.

#11 ·
I use a LS2 OF569 Scape Open Face Helmet that has the removable chin bar. I believe it has been discontinued. The fit is snug, but comfortable. The drop down shade is nice but vibrates a bit at speed, I've gotten used to it. The peripheral vision is excellent and the face shield has good, positive notches for raising and lowering that stay put while riding. It also has a well made chin strap quick release. The ear wells are too small for the UClear speakers to sit in the recess, which was probably my biggest knock against it. The helmet looks good and has a high quality overall fit and finish. I would certainly consider another one in the $100-200 range.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.