Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Something followed me home from the dealership.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  CJRuffner 
#1 ·
Just got my new 2016 Versys LT home from the dealer, beating the forecasted week of rain, then raced back to pick up this steal-of-a-deal for my girlfriend to begin learning on. It's a 2011 Suzuki TU 250X, only had 800 miles on it, and got it for $2k. It's a bit small and underpowered for me, but I have to admit it was fun riding it home like a madman trying to beat the rains. She will use it to practice to retake the riding test (didn't quite pass the MSF course last weekend), and then she plans to trade it in on something larger. But it was so cheap and it's kind of fun to ride, so I'm thinking about keeping it permanently. I have a 14 year old son that is chomping at the bit to begin riding, I think this would be a perfect training bike for him.

Steves308

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
My last bike was an '88 Virago 250. It had been my daughter's bike but she moved downtown in the city and stopped riding. Anyhow, the little bikes are tremendously fun and easy to ride around the suburbs. It even did ok for leisurely mountain rides. Lightweight, low to the ground. Very little chance of a tip over, and super easy to pick up if it is dropped.

Just beware the lure to bad habits because they are much like riding a bicycle. I dropped the V650 by using the front brake to stop in a parking spot during a tight turn. On the old Virago I did that all the time without tipping over.

If I had more $ and more storage space, I'd have a little bike just for goofing off.

#10 ·
Bought a TU250X for my bride last summer to replace her rather old and cantankerous Virago 535. We keep it in Maine and it's just about perfect for two lane woodland roads in our part of the state. Give it a chance and it will prove itself entirely adequate. There are days during the summer when I'll choose it rather than my BMW K75S (and I dearly love that machine). The TUX is good old fashioned fun.

#13 ·
I got the bike from Sun Enterprise in Thornton, (dealer website: http://www.sunent.com/ ) for $7700, before taxes and still in the crate. I went to them because they had the only orange one I could find based on surfing dealer websites. The Rocky Mountain Kawasaki dealer in Longmont is where I have bought before, and where this one will be going for service, but they didn't have any orange ones left. I wish they did, as they might have been cheaper and I wouldn't have to have the awkward conversation "Did you buy this bike here?" ;^)

Steves308

#12 ·
I like that 250, but then I grew up when a 650 WAS a big bike!

My Bullet is like that in the center of gravity seems to be about a foot below ground level, there no plastic do if you do manage somehow to drop it it'll likely be A-OK. But one person is just about more that it can haul two and I could likely out run it on a bicycle.

BUT it's a fun little thing to putt abound on the back roads on.

#14 ·
Thanks Steve! I would PM you this but I can't since I haven't reached my post limit yet. Is the last two of the vin 75? They had two LT's I was looking at back in April. One was a the carbon and there was an orange one in the crate. From what I was told they only had two. It sounds like you bought the one I was looking to buy this past weekend. I called and was told specifically that they still had the orange one in the crate in the warehouse even though it had disappeared from their website last month. Anyway, I called on Saturday and went up there to get "new" pricing since apparently the Costco pricing is only good for that same day. I was told the 7709 + $149 for some other fee plus taxes. That $149 never came up last month when I was told the $7709 was for either the orange in the warehouse or the carbon/grey they had on the floor.

Thanks,
Robert

#15 ·
Rob, those are the last two of my VIN, sounds like you are stalking my bike ;^) Did they tell you what the $149 was for? Unless they buried it in my paperwork or bundled it with my taxes, I don't see that on my paperwork. And if they took the orange one off the website, it's odd they would still think they had it in a crate in the warehouse. But I think the $7700 price was fair for the bike, and since I'm not getting rid of mine any time soon, I'll have enjoy the bike and won't even remember what I paid for it in a year or two ;^)

Are you going to get the other bike?

Steves308

#16 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. Yep! I was stalking it hard. :) Honestly I think it's just the salesperson trying to squeeze more money. He said it was for some prep but it wasn't on the Costco sheet so I'm sure it was bogus upcharge. I don't believe they really have another orange in stock and with the less than stellar performance I've had with them so far I'm just going to scratch them off my list for good. I have a quote request in for a carbon 2016 in Glenwood Springs. I know Sun still has a carbon but I'll take my money elsewhere. If the one in Glenwood doesn't work then I'll wait for the Titanium 2017 to drop in price and grab one of them. I may wait until 2018 anyway. I've been looking for the Versys and 250L Rally so I've been visiting many dealers over the past month and a half. My last two bike purchases were never this exhausting and annoying.

By the way they did take it off their website but it still on others (Free Classifieds - Boats, Motorcycles, Powersports)

Enjoy the bike! She's a beauty.

Robert

#17 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. Yep! I was stalking it hard.
Honestly I think it's just the salesperson trying to squeeze more money. He said it was for some prep but it wasn't on the Costco sheet so I'm sure it was bogus upcharge. I don't believe they really have another orange in stock and with the less than stellar performance I've had with them so far I'm just going to scratch them off my list for good. I have a quote request in for a carbon 2016 in Glenwood Springs. I know Sun still has a carbon but I'll take my money elsewhere. If the one in Glenwood doesn't work then I'll wait for the Titanium 2017 to drop in price and grab one of them. I may wait until 2018 anyway. I've been looking for the Versys and 250L Rally so I've been visiting many dealers over the past month and a half. My last two bike purchases were never this exhausting and annoying.

By the way they did take it off their website but it still on others (Free Classifieds - Boats, Motorcycles, Powersports)
Enjoy the bike! She's a beauty.
Robert
Odd experience you are having with them, but I think you're right about them upcharging you, sounds like they don't want to honor the Costco price. I have no particular loyalty to them, so take your money and run ?

Speaking of Costco, i have used them to buy my last few cars but didn't even think about using them this time, totally forgot about them. Looks like I got the Costco price anyway ?

Good luck with your eventual purchase!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.