Now I need an Orange Helmet - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Garage
I guess I need an orange helmet too! My new 2016 650 LT , the dealership just finished assembling it.

Like yourself, I just didn't like the 2017 colors, and with the deal I got on the leftover 2016 I was able to get an LT as opposed to a regular 2017 Versys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170425_133542_1493161151847.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	120082  
weljo2001, 407guy and Turk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Very nice, Steve. I still don't have mine home yet. It may be as late as next week Tuesday. Anticipation.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
...Having said that I've purchased some very cheap helmets in the past from fly by companies like Sparx and Z1R and liked them a great deal....
Seems to me that a Z1R helmet was picked in a MOTORCYCLIST test as the best helmet available, a couple of years back.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Seems to me that a Z1R helmet was picked in a MOTORCYCLIST test as the best helmet available, a couple of years back.
I suppose it's possible but I can't find any mention after a bit (a very short bit) of google sleuthing. Z1R still has a website so not fair to call them a fly-by-night company and they are still churning out products, very inexpensive stuff. I think their most expensive helmet is right around $130, straight up retail with no discounts. Sparx seems to be long gone but I still have the helmet, it's old and I don't use it anymore but I really liked it.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 PM

I bought an LS2 so that I could put all my green gun club (USMC) stickers on it (tastefully of course). Two reasons: one they don't make a USMC helmet worth a #### in my opinion and two I figured if I don't like it at least I am not into it for a lot. As it turns out it is a nice helmet for the price. I do not use it daily I use Shark and Scorpion. Its comfortable and vents well but is noisy. If it vents well then it probably is noisy which is why when I wear it is usually on trips/rides and I wear earplugs then anyway.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM

I can post pics if you like. I also did a red, white and blue with neons for Army friend. He is into the whole bike club bike night mess and I am not but he does like to go on trips with us also.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calscrazy View Post
I can post pics if you like. I also did a red, white and blue with neons for Army friend. He is into the whole bike club bike night mess and I am not but he does like to go on trips with us also.
I always like pics.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I just watched that video about an hour ago, weijo. You know, the headline, Now I Need and Orange Helmet was an overly clever way for me to introduce myself to everyone here and to show off my new orange Versys. Right now I'm still rockin' my green helmet and accented jacket on the Versys, peas and carrots.

I actually did find a few orange helmets I like but then I though I would need new jackets and all that stuff so I kind of cooled on seriously searching. Too many mods to do to the bike.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 AM

Congrats and good luck with the bike . I do like the color. Its funny but after all the years of riding and the bikes I have owned I don't think I ever had a helmet that matched the color of the bike I was riding at the time. I probably still have 3-4 helmets sitting in their boxes that I picked up on good deals. Now I did have an old bell star in the 70'S that was white so I guess that went with any color bike. Its funny I do have a Shoei Troy Lee Designed Joker helmet in Orange (I ride a green lt) that probably will match your bike .

Last edited by turn8a; 05-11-2017 at 05:23 AM.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
...Now I did have an old bell star in the 70'S that was white so I guess that went with any color bike....
When I had my drag-bike I had a Bell 500TX helmet (white, of course) and had it painted a medium metallic green at a body-shop, then had it painted w/ a "Flying eyeball" ala Von Dutch, similar to this:

I wish I had a pic of it (or had just kept that helmet).

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Studies have shown that $149 helmets protect as well as $800 helmets. The difference is weight and comfort.
I would agree if your were to add "have to be snell or better certified (Sharp, ECE, others)"

DOT is kind of a mickey mouse certification, good for rice bowl and Arai/Shoei/Caberg of this world, at both extremeties of the security spectre

LOP
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Garage
Webbikeworld

For a large selection of review on that subject

Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld

LOP
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I would agree if your were to add "have to be snell or better certified (Sharp, ECE, others)"

DOT is kind of a mickey mouse certification, good for rice bowl and Arai/Shoei/Caberg of this world, at both extremeties of the security spectre

LOP
I know I have read that some dot helmets are actually better than some snell helmets especially for riders with smaller heads.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

LOP
Phil - respectfully I have to disagree. The Snell certification (at least up to Snell 2015) put forces into helmets that MIGHT cause problems, while a DOT helmet was picked as #1 on a MOTORCYCLIST magazine comparo OVER Snell rated helmets, a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I know I have read that some dot helmets are actually better than some snell helmets especially for riders with smaller heads.
See my comments above.
turn8a likes this.

Ed

..)

post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Nice bike bro! Just remember the saying, "cheap helmet, cheap head." The helmet is one piece of equipment you want to be the best! Don't cheat yourself.
I'd include prophylactics on that list. If you wanna be a Daddy buy cheap. IMO of course.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM

"Now I need an Orange Helmet"

You're a rattle can away from having an orange head.

(I would NOT recommend that BTW. My neighbor found out the hard way that painting one's war bonnet can lead to destruction of the ozone layer, and his helmet collapsed when he dropped it on the pavement. God's Truth. It looked like a reddish toadstool when it became two dimensional when it hit the ground.)
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
...You're a rattle can away from having an orange head.

(I would NOT recommend that BTW. My neighbor found out the hard way that painting one's war bonnet can lead to destruction of the ozone layer, and his helmet collapsed when he dropped it on the pavement. God's Truth. It looked like a reddish toadstool when it became two dimensional when it hit the ground.)
I too have read that IF you paint a helmet it's VERY important to use the CORRECT type of paint, or else you might destroy it.

Ed

..)

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Thanks, I've often get lots of attention and compliments for my pinkish-white skin...

Oh, you meant the bike. Yeah, she's a real looker! I had to pass on the 2017 models simply because I wasn't interested in black or silver.
I got the '16 for the same reason, I love the orange. Also, are you actually Turkish? I ride with some Turkish friends living in northern Jersey.

P.S. the new Shoei RF-SR helmet comes in an orange that looks like it could be really close in color. Haven't seen it in person to confirm, though.

Last edited by aemacleod; 05-22-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemacleod View Post
Also, are you actually Turkish?
Nah. I was in Turks and Caicos when I signed up and it was the first name that came to mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode