First real ride on the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

First real ride on the Versys

Bought a 2011 Versys with 3400 miles on her. Needed some TLC to bring it up to snuff. Added signal minder, headlight modulator etc..

Previous ride was a Vulcan 900 which is a great bike, just wanted something different. After riding a cruiser the past 3 years the foot controls on the Versys feel very strange. I have ridden it perhaps 15 miles so far and everything seem fine , no really strange sounds. Only issue is there is a fair clunk going into first gear, but clutch is adjusted properly, need to keep an eye on that.

Tomorrow will be the first real ride on the versys approx 200 miles from N Atlanta, up to the mountains, lots of back roads with twisties etc.. I have been on these roads numerous times with the vulcan so the roads will be familiar. Forecast looks good with temps in the high70s low 80s. I will take it easy being my first time out on a new to me bike with a very different feel to it.

I bought the versys on a bit of a whim so I am really hoping I don't regret it! Did come with a Corbin seat!

I will post back with my impressions after my ride.

Wish me luck!

JoH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Suches area is a good place to ride.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Garage
You should be pleasantly surprised at the handling of the Versys in the curves.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Skypilot 69

Yes will be stopping in at 2 wheels in Suches. 180 over to Vogel state park etc..

Some great riding in the N GA mountains, along with TN and NC. I have a 3 day ride planned for late May including tail of the dragon, Smoky mountain national park, blue ridge parkway etc.

JoH
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
...Only issue is there is a fair clunk going into first gear, but clutch is adjusted properly, need to keep an eye on that.Wish me luck!...JoH
Absolutely NORMAL (clunk), and......!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

The Versys proved to be a great ride with one exception. On deceleration or braking the slope of seat tends to have you sliding into the tank, which I found to be incredibly uncomfortable . I will try fabricating a space block for the front mounting of the tank to try and level the seat out a bit.

The tranny tends to clunk a bit more than my Vulcan did, but my guess is that may just be the nature of this beast.

The first time the front wheel came off the ground under hard acceleration caught me off guard a bit, that just would not happen on the Vulcan. She does have some power!

The Versys parallel spins faster the the V2 Vulcan but runs nice and smooth, just a little different feel to get use to.

I took it pretty easy on the twisties, still has original tires which are now 6 years old and from what I can gather on this forum are pretty crappy tires to begin with. I really enjoyed the flickability and high ground clearance on the Versys. Had be be careful on the Vulcan as you could catch the frame as there was not much leeway once the peg sensors touch the road.

One biker crashed his sport bike on Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy180) between Vogel state park and Suches. This is a twisty stretch of road similar to the tail of the dragon in TN but not nearly as busy. He was banged up a bit but not too bad, his bike didn't fair as well and ended up off the road and down a steep embankment. Needless to say I continued to take it easy for the remainder on my ride.

I think I will be quite happy with the Versys if I can get the seat sorted out!!

JoH
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM

Garage
When I hear the complaints about the slope of the seat, I question whether the complainers ever rode a sport bike.

If you use your thighs to grip the tank you will not slide forward, will be in more control of the bike, and will not fatigue your arms, hands and upper back.
whiting57 and Pazzo like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You should be pleasantly surprised at the handling of the Versys in the curves.
Very true. Just bought a new 2016 1000LT and was very surprised with the handling. Unfortunately I have big feet (13's) and my toes of the boots drag when pushed too far and shifting. Could never lower the pegs.

2016 Versys 1000LT Roseville, CA
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Rawkstar 320 (a forum member) sells a very good front seat riser, that he 3D prints. I, as well as many other members swear by it. Don't remember the exact price, but .it was about $14. Very good mod for a small price.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
Very true. Just bought a new 2016 1000LT and was very surprised with the handling. Unfortunately I have big feet (13's) and my toes of the boots drag when pushed too far and shifting. Could never lower the pegs.

I have a Versys 1000 with lowered pegs and wear a size 13 boot. When i get into the twisty stuff i just pull my feet back onto the peg some and have no issues...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I will try fabricating a space block for the front mounting of the tank to try and level the seat out a bit. I think I will be quite happy with the Versys if I can get the seat sorted out!...JoH
Raising the seat should ONLY cost about $2, as long as you can 'fab' the steel spacer (+ 2 = 6mm x 45mm bolts, and 12 washers). BTW - I ride w/ the balls of my feet on the 'pegs, so my toes DON'T drag.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When I hear the complaints about the slope of the seat, I question whether the complainers ever rode a sport bike.

If you use your thighs to grip the tank you will not slide forward, will be in more control of the bike, and will not fatigue your arms, hands and upper back.
Your correct in my case, I have never ridden a sport bike. Had standard bike back in the 70s (Honda CB 500-4). Took a 35 Year break (raising a family) started riding again 3 years ago on a cruiser and now on a Versys. I get your point but to be honest I don't want to be squeezing the tank all the time. I hope to get the seat more comfortable for most riding. Being in my 60s I ride for pleasure not excitment.

JoH
quexpress likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Your correct in my case, I have never ridden a sport bike. Had standard bike back in the 70s (Honda CB 500-4). Took a 35 Year break (raising a family) started riding again 3 years ago on a cruiser and now on a Versys. I get your point but to be honest I don't want to be squeezing the tank all the time. I hope to get the seat more comfortable for most riding. Being in my 60s I ride for pleasure not excitment.

JoH
You only have to squeeze when decelerating, or when conquering the curves. Hope you find what works for you. Spencer seat mod with supracor would be an inexpensive fix that doesn't make the seat look out of place like the raising the front does.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Twowheeladdict

Thanks for the input. I think if I can get the incline reduced a bit it will be much better. The bike had a Corbin seat when I got it and it is quite comfortable except for continuos sliding forward. I have made a plate and added some washers to lift the front a bit and really hope that will do the trick. I anticipate still needing to use my thighs as you indicate, just don't want to do it as firm or often.

JoH
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM

May want to have Terry Adcox customize your seat. Google: Terry Adcox seat Versys.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
May want to have Terry Adcox customize your seat. Google: Terry Adcox seat Versys.
Thanks for the tip, if the new bracket I made does not do the trick I may do that. He is located between Chattanooga and Nashville and I pass right by there frequently.
JoH
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, if the new bracket I made does not do the trick I may do that. He is located between Chattanooga and Nashville and I pass right by there frequently.
JoH
If you stop by with your bike and tell him what you have in mind,and let him see how you sit and fit on your bike, he will have a good Idea of what you need done. some times he has a seat there that you can put on your bike to see how it feels. Hope this info helps.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

The mod did the trick, fabricated a metal plate and used washers as a spacer. The seat still slopes forward but is very manageable now. Did another 180 mile run today and I am really staring to enjoy this bike. Seems to be shifting smoother now too.

JoH
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:21 PM

+1, grip the tank with your knees during spirited riding and you will feel more in control. Also slide your initial seating position forward right to the tank during spirited riding, this puts more weight on front wheel which is better for control, cornering and bump absorption. During long cruises however I slide my seating position back to the broader part of the seat at the rear for comfort.

When I brake very hard I find the G forces on my body get transmitted through the handle bars and do not cause me to slide forward in the seat. Wondering if this is an issue of how you sit on the bike and grip the controls or how your handlebars are adjusted.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-29-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:38 PM

I also had the 1st gear sound!! My chain was to slacked!! Check it against the owners manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode