Block installed. Can it go any lower? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Block installed. Can it go any lower?

I installed the lowering block on the rear shock and lowered the front forks down as far as I could. It's still to tall for the wife. Is there anything else I can do?

2016 Versys 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
Platform shoes? ... Just kidding. There is always the option of a lower seat like below:

650 Versys Seat Concepts "LOW" version

Is she still tippy-toeing it with it lowered or can she only get one foot down?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
Platform shoes? ... Just kidding. There is always the option of a lower seat like below:

650 Versys Seat Concepts "LOW" version

Is she still tippy-toeing it with it lowered or can she only get one foot down?
She can get one foot down flat if one butt cheek slides over that way.

I'll look into the seat but it looks like the 650 might be a no go. I have her on a NC700X that I really lowered a bunch. I think the Versys might end up on Craigslist. 2012 with 2300 miles ought to sell quick this time of year.

2016 Versys 1000

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Only drop the front a similar amount. You can buy a lowering seat from Kawasaki that will lower another inch.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngw1500se View Post
I installed the lowering block on the rear shock and lowered the front forks down as far as I could. It's still to tall for the wife. Is there anything else I can do?
Yes. There are springs for the rear shock that will lower it about an inch, but if you set the 'sag' properly you'll give her LOTS more room. I have about a 30 to31" inseam, so my Vs are quite HIGH when I get on (just my toes touch), but as soon as I 'settle' my weight, I can flatfoot.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 PM

there is a high performance shock, maybe a hyperpro, that lowers it an inch. i've done that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
there is a high performance shock, maybe a hyperpro, that lowers it an inch. i've done that.
I installed the Hyperpro rear spring and it works great. lowered the bike one inch as they specified. it also softened the ride. You can only lower the front 1.0" by sliding the tubes up because of the taper in the tube. to get more drop in front you would need a spring, Hypro has one. I would be careful you do not lower too much and risk tire (front or rear) hitting bike structure on big bump or dip.

To install rear spring you need to take shock to a suspension or motorcycle shop. (or take the whole bike) it takes a large strong spring compressor to compress that short travel mono spring. units you clamp on at home and turn bolts are not strong enough. I tried. and car spring compressors are too big to fit in between the coils. Also, to get the shock off the bike I had to disconnection the preloader due to the tube routing. (other wise lots of bike disassembly is required) Risk there is loss of fluid and air bubble. I seemed to succeed at losing almost no oil and then bleed it a tiny amount when re-installed and seems ok.

Other option is a Honda CB500X. excellent bike, lower seat, lower center of gravity, 50 lbs. lighter, and plenty zippy to keep up with the Versys. I had one before my Versys and loved it. ABS model is hard to find used though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Also, I had to shorten the kick stand. local weld shop did it for $30 and it looks great!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngw1500se View Post
My wife also had a hard time getting on my Versys 650.

The solution was:
1. To put her left foot on the left passenger foot-peg
2. To put her left hand on my left shoulder (while I'm standing in the rider position) and her right hand on the rear topbox.
3. To raise herself and slip onto the passenger seat.

After a few tries she got used to it and it now a piece of cake for her to get onto the passenger seat of my Versys!

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
Also, I had to shorten the kick stand. local weld shop did it for $30 and it looks great!
No need to do this as bike is very secure on oem kickstand with lowering kit, also makes it harder to revert back If you sell

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
No need to do this as bike is very secure on oem kickstand with lowering kit, also makes it harder to revert back If you sell

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I do not agree that it is stable with OEM stand. it works, but if you have to park on even or slanted surface its not stable enough. Or when loaded with luggage or hit with strong wind. The bike sits too vertical with OEM stand when suspension lowered in my opinion. I prefer to stick with originally designed lean angle for safety.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
I do not agree that it is stable with OEM stand. it works, but if you have to park on even or slanted surface its not stable enough. Or when loaded with luggage or hit with strong wind. The bike sits too vertical with OEM stand when suspension lowered in my opinion. I prefer to stick with originally designed lean angle for safety.
I rode my Versys for a complete season in lowered form with OEM kickstand before removing the lowering kit. I bought the bike used with lowering kit already installed. I had absolutely no issues with stability on the side stand, including fully loaded down with luggage, parked on uneven ground, and parked in high winds. You still have considerable lean angle with the OEM stand and the bike lowered. It will never accidentally topple unless the kickstand foot sinks in soft ground or you try to park sideways on a very steep hill.
JRW2007 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-23-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You can buy a lowering seat from Kawasaki that will lower another inch.
Link please.

I've read about this Kawi low seat but have no idea where it can be purchased in the US.

Thx.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Try putting a request in the WANTED section.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Link please.

I've read about this Kawi low seat but have no idea where it can be purchased in the US.

Thx.
I know kawasaki used to make them for the version 2 versys. Not sure about the version 3. There are also a lot of aftermarket seat manufacturers who will make a low seat for you. Alternatively if you live in a larger city you can likely find
an auto/marine upholstery shop that does motorcycle seats too. It is simply a mater of sculpting and layering foam differently on seat pan and then recovering with vinyl.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I know kawasaki used to make them for the version 2 versys. Not sure about the version 3. There are also a lot of aftermarket seat manufacturers who will make a low seat for you. Alternatively if you live in a larger city you can likely find
an auto/marine upholstery shop that does motorcycle seats too. It is simply a mater of sculpting and layering foam differently on seat pan and then recovering with vinyl.
Okay, nothing changed here -- cannot purchase the low gel Kawi seats in North America. I do see them for sale in Europe but at $400+ USD.

I was able to pick up a used OEM seat via eBay so I'll be giving the "shave" treatment in the next couple of weeks.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode