Help required in tire choices please .. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help required in tire choices please ..

Having done 15,000 kms I changed the rear to Hidenau K60 Scout, 150/70. Please advice on following choices for the front -
Hidenau K60 120/90 ?
Hidenau K60 130/80 ? (which is actuall a rear tire)
I have read almost all threads on tire discussions I am still undecided !! Another choice is to maybe go in for the Hidenau K73 120/70 but I have zero information about their performance in an off road scenario and since they are supermoto tires i am told that they wear out faster ...
PLEASE ADVISE ..

Last edited by ajai13; 04-20-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 AM

130/80 is not as tall as 120/90, but you still have to raise front fender for enough clearance.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

yes that is understood. my main concern is how would a rear tire mounted on the front, impact the handling, stability and ride quality of the bike ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:43 AM

Garage
Guys have been running rear specific tires in the front for quite some time with no adverse handling. MY recommendation is the TKC-80 all the way. In the 120 OR 130 size. You will have to raise the fender for the 130 though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM

I have made the same mistakes.

I have the k60 rear. I do not recommend the k60. Longevity sounds good but you obviously want some grip, likely for trail, mud and such and you will be terribly disappointed by the continuous strip on the rear. Skids like crazy, no grip. I think it only felt useful in the sand because it can sink in and the sides can finally work.

I have the k73 in front. It's ok in packed dirt but essentially no better than a road tire in more demanding situation. Furthermore, the continuous gap in the center acts insane on steel bridges (the grid falls in and jerks the handlebar all over when gripping its way out) and line-scarified pavement/concrete. I will definitely NOT put one again.

My next pair will likely be a shinko 705 (or tkc80 for plan B) (120/70 regular) in front, and a metzeller karoo 3 (or shinko 805 for plan B) (150/70) in the back.
All 4 have fit without mods. Absolutely NOT a tkc80 in the back; I need to get to the next gas station before the tire is worn...

Last edited by dddd; 04-21-2017 at 05:24 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai13 View Post
yes that is understood. my main concern is how would a rear tire mounted on the front, impact the handling, stability and ride quality of the bike ?
When you mount a rear tire on the front, you typically mount it backwards to provide the correct traction for the front end.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai13 View Post
Having done 15,000 kms I changed the rear to Hidenau K60 Scout, 150/70. Please advice on following choices for the front -
Hidenau K60 120/90 ?
Hidenau K60 130/80 ? (which is actuall a rear tire)
I would NOT recommend the K60 on the front, WHATEVER the size, but I DO recommend either the Metzler Tourance 130/80 (rear) or Shinko E705 130/80 (rear) on the front (as long as you raise the front fender...) as I've used BOTH for MANY miles....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode