Anything to look for...? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

6Likes
  • 2 Post By captpfd
  • 1 Post By AngryGazebo
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Anything to look for...?

Test riding a new 2017 Versys 650 on Thursday. I don't see many owners with persistent issues on the board. That's a good thing.

Anything to look out for with the 2017's when purchasing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 PM

You probably wont find anyone with any real complaints. Your biggest problem will be keeping the bugs from getting in your teeth as your smiling while enjoying the ride. lol
quexpress and Pazzo like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo View Post
Test riding a new 2017 Versys 650 on Thursday. I don't see many owners with persistent issues on the board. That's a good thing.

Anything to look out for with the 2017's when purchasing?

I've owned two Versys now. Any issues I've had have been with aftermarket accessories not the bike itself. A few recommendations I would make based on experience with the bike:
1) consider installing engine bars like the high quality ones from SW-Motech. They'll save you a lot of grief and money when you drop the bike, which you most likely will, and prevent significant damage in an accident. They do add some minor weight but it is low down where you won't notice it. They provide complete tip over/drop protection to the delicate parts.
2) Buy a cheap rear pit stand (harbor freight?) and some spools (cheap on eBay) with the bike. You'll want the stand for washing and lubing the chain as well as regular maintenance and removing the rear rim. There is no kickstand.
3) Download the freely available service manual from this site. It'll help with maintenance.
4) The aftermarket tank bags (Givi tank ring type) and heated grips (Oxford) are better quality and cheaper too than the Kawasaki offerings.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-18-2017 at 09:02 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Look for decent setup from the dealer.

After I brought mine home on the trailer, I went over it and found low tires, cables out of adjustment, and a few other pre-delivery inspection items that were overlooked or rushed through.

Once everything was set up right, no problems whatsoever.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Garage
I think Twowheels nailed it. Crash bars are a must. Otherwise there's nothing to "fix", but you can always tweak things for extra comfort.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Garage
I didn't personally have any issues with mine but others here have complained of loose bolts from the dealer. Probably worth a thorough inspection when you get it home
Pazzo likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
I didn't personally have any issues with mine but others here have complained of loose bolts from the dealer. Probably worth a thorough inspection when you get it home
ESPECIALLY the brake-caliper bolts which should be torqued to 18'/# front and rear on Gen 3 650s...!
Pazzo likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
Both of the Versys that I've had wound up with multiple goodies from here...https://motowerk.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM

I've soured on the factory hard side cases. They are excellent for what they are. Very quick and convenient to mount/dismount them from the bike. That makes them perfect if you have to take them off to stow the bike in your garage. The clamshell design works well, and they hold a good volume of stuff. But the bad part is the shape. They don't hold rectangular objects well. Things like a briefcase or shoulder bag don't fit. For commuting I have to take the tablet out of my soft shoulder bag to get it to fit. My soft insulated lunch bag has to be mashed in.

Though they advertise the luggage as fitting a full faced helmet, my HJC brand full face helmet does not fit.

The handguards are a nice feature in cold weather. With winter gloves and the handguards I have no problems riding even down to freezing temps, at least for a half hour. There are aftermarket handguards which may be cheaper and which folks here like as much or more than factory units.

If you're going to ride off pavement, look into a radiator guard as well as good engine crash bars. Note, too, that the front turn signals hit the pavement if you tip over, which cracks expensive plastic fairings. I replaced mine with smaller LED units which are brighter and won't touch in a tip over.

Factory tires are ok, not great. For highway or wet weather riding there are some excellent alternatives. For dirt or trail riding you definitely will want to replace tires.

Many owners replace the windshield due to turbulence at highway speeds. I've put on a Madstad which has eliminated all helmet buffet on the highway.

For the price the V650 is an outstanding bike. There are no significant problems, just personal preferences which may lead you to some minor mods.
Pazzo likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Anything to look for...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've soured on the factory hard side cases. They are excellent for what they are. Very quick and convenient to mount/dismount them from the bike. That makes them perfect if you have to take them off to stow the bike in your garage. The clamshell design works well, and they hold a good volume of stuff. But the bad part is the shape.
Did you purchase another set of side bags to replace them?

I was thinking about forgoing the LT version and put aftermarket handguards and side cases on (Hepco Becker or Mosko)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo View Post
Did you purchase another set of side bags to replace them?

I was thinking about forgoing the LT version and put aftermarket handguards and side cases on (Hepco Becker or Mosko)

I am in the process of shopping for aftermarket side cases. The bike will be a lot more convenient for my use to commute to work. I need the quick mount/dismount capability of the side cases to fit the bike into my small 1 car garage which has my large sedan in there, too. So, I haven't settled on a rack or cases yet.

The Kawasaki LT package is a good deal for the money if you can live with the odd shape of the side cases.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM

No complaints nor problems since 2009. Have done a number of cross country rides and all is well with bike and still looks brand new.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I am in the process of shopping for aftermarket side cases. The bike will be a lot more convenient for my use to commute to work. I need the quick mount/dismount capability of the side cases to fit the bike into my small 1 car garage which has my large sedan in there, too. So, I haven't settled on a rack or cases yet.

The Kawasaki LT package is a good deal for the money if you can live with the odd shape of the side cases.

I took the side bags off (I'll use them for long distance rides) and just use the top box for my run around /riding stuff.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

As one who has an '08 w/ TUSK aluminum panniers that hold LOTS, but are a 'bear' to remove, and a '15 LT w/ stock bags that hold lots, are EASILY removed, but NOT nearly as convenient as my TUSKs are. Here's a pic of my '08 w/ skipper1940's '15 LT, so you can see both types in one pic.

IF they were as easily removable as the LT bags..., I would prefer the TUSKs on my '15.

Pazzo likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode