Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

clutch basket rattle during engine braking (decel)?

12K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Jay_Chicago 
#1 · (Edited)
front sprocket rattle during engine braking (decel)?

So I’m approaching 600 miles on my 2017 650 LT. Excellent bike except for one thing that I’m not sure is an issue or is “normal” for this bike.

Here is what I can ask others to possibly try:

Find a straight open road. Get the bike in 3rd gear and ride up to about 7,000 rpms. Then completely roll off the throttle, letting the engine do the braking. Do not pull in the clutch or down shift or touch the brakes until the bike drops to about 3,000 rpms.

When I do this I’m getting this gawd-awful rattling or clanking from what seems to be the clutch basket area (left side of bike). As soon as I pull in the clutch lever the sound goes away.

Is this rattling noise “normal”? It is very distinct and, to me, loud.

Haven’t figured out how to get a video clip yet… sorry.

Thx.

See less See more
#3 ·
Agree......My 650 made a hell of a racket when the chain needed adjustment...

#4 ·
Skip the first 59 seconds of this video and then you'll hear the chain noise i was talking about.....

#9 ·
It is quite difficult to isolate the noise you are worried about from all the other noises... could you edit the movie to a few seconds so it is obvious which noise is of concern? Also, when changing down, preload the lever and blip the throttle which should deal with the horrible clunking.
Engine sounds fine at tickover but all that rattling on the over run sounds like plastic... maybe the camera housing or the chain rattling on plastic or a bit of the bodywork rattling?

The dealer will resolve that for you.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses.

I was in need of some rest when I typed that it was the clutch basket area -- I was thinking of the last bike I had with a chain (2011 Triumph Bonneville SE). That bike had the clutch basket on the left; and the drive chain was on the right side.

The sound is coming from the front sprocket area on the left side.

I'm checking the chain slack as specified in the owner's manual. I did a check before installing Moto Werk's lowering link as well as after. Before, the chain was really loose - around 1.5" After, it's just over 1" of slack.

#13 ·
...The sound is coming from the front sprocket area on the left side.

I'm checking the chain slack as specified in the owner's manual. I did a check before installing Moto Werk's lowering link as well as after. Before, the chain was really loose - around 1.5" After, it's just over 1" of slack....
MINE (3 V 650s) have NEVER 'rattled', probably because I lube my chains a bit more often than the average owner does, as well as keeping them adjusted.

#14 ·
Well, just dropped of the Versys for its 600 mile service.

Service advisor said the chain was way too loose and that is what would cause the rattling sound. "Half inch up, and half inch down" of slack.

He said they'll adjust as part of their service.

So I'll see how things turn out.

[This possibly puts a kink ;) in the discussion that a lowering black may/will cause your chain to tighten. After my Moto Werk install gave me approximately 1" of slack so I was surprised the service advisor said it was too loose. I may have messed up with my measurement but I know there was less slack after the install.]

#16 ·
Well, just dropped of the Versys for its 600 mile service.

Service advisor said the chain was way too loose and that is what would cause the rattling sound. "Half inch up, and half inch down" of slack.

He said they'll adjust as part of their service.

So I'll see how things turn out.

[This possibly puts a kink <a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:)</a> in the discussion that a lowering black may/will cause your chain to tighten. After my Moto Werk install gave me approximately 1" of slack so I was surprised the service advisor said it was too loose. I may have messed up with my measurement but I know there was less slack after the install.]

Please update the sound after the service as my new 2017 650 LT produces the same sound from what sounds like it is coming from the front left of the bike...Thanks!

#15 ·
Running a swingarm through the travel does in fact change the chain "slack" measurment. The rear axle travels through an arc since it works on a pivot. When the rear axle is -exactly- horizontally aligned with the countershaft sprocket it's at its "tightest" spot because the sprocket is in front of that pivot. That's the only reason we need slack. If the sprocket rotated on the swingarm pivot the distance between sprockets wouldn't change and "tight" would be "right!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.