clutch basket rattle during engine braking (decel)? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By farmerboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

clutch basket rattle during engine braking (decel)?

So I’m approaching 600 miles on my 2017 650 LT. Excellent bike except for one thing that I’m not sure is an issue or is “normal” for this bike.

Here is what I can ask others to possibly try:

Find a straight open road. Get the bike in 3rd gear and ride up to about 7,000 rpms. Then completely roll off the throttle, letting the engine do the braking. Do not pull in the clutch or down shift or touch the brakes until the bike drops to about 3,000 rpms.

When I do this I’m getting this gawd-awful rattling or clanking from what seems to be the clutch basket area (left side of bike). As soon as I pull in the clutch lever the sound goes away.

Is this rattling noise “normal”? It is very distinct and, to me, loud.

Haven’t figured out how to get a video clip yet… sorry.

Thx.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
I have a 650 LT and it does not make any discernible noises under those circumstances. I have had it from new and it now has about 1000 miles on the clock. Could it be the chain rattling? Perhaps check chain adjustment and of course engine oil level?
weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I have a 650 LT and it does not make any discernible noises under those circumstances. I have had it from new and it now has about 1000 miles on the clock. Could it be the chain rattling? Perhaps check chain adjustment and of course engine oil level?
Agree......My 650 made a hell of a racket when the chain needed adjustment...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
Skip the first 59 seconds of this video and then you'll hear the chain noise i was talking about.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Sounds like a loose drive chain... Your clutch is on the RIGHT side, by the way.

Last edited by invader; 04-14-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Could it be the chain rattling? Perhaps check chain adjustment and of course engine oil level?
Chain is within spec -- for what that's worth. Also, oil is fine. It was changed at 200 miles by the dealership. Asking my Q now so when I go into the dealership for my 600 mile service I can have some information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Skip the first 59 seconds of this video and then you'll hear the chain noise i was talking about.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRGVATevug
Really can't tell. My old ears only hear the wind and exhaust in your video.

Last edited by 407guy; 04-14-2017 at 07:51 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Sounds like the drive chain is rattling against the plastic chain guard. See if it's tweaked and too close to the chain.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Are you checking your chain slack with rear suspension fully extended?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:49 AM

It is quite difficult to isolate the noise you are worried about from all the other noises... could you edit the movie to a few seconds so it is obvious which noise is of concern? Also, when changing down, preload the lever and blip the throttle which should deal with the horrible clunking.
Engine sounds fine at tickover but all that rattling on the over run sounds like plastic... maybe the camera housing or the chain rattling on plastic or a bit of the bodywork rattling?

The dealer will resolve that for you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
It is quite difficult to isolate the noise you are worried about from all the other noises... could you edit the movie to a few seconds so it is obvious which noise is of concern? Also, when changing down, preload the lever and blip the throttle which should deal with the horrible clunking.
Engine sounds fine at tickover but all that rattling on the over run sounds like plastic... maybe the camera housing or the chain rattling on plastic or a bit of the bodywork rattling?

The dealer will resolve that for you.
407guy has not produced a video... You are referring to weljoe2001's video.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:26 AM

Ah.. yes. Sorry, my mistake.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses.

I was in need of some rest when I typed that it was the clutch basket area -- I was thinking of the last bike I had with a chain (2011 Triumph Bonneville SE). That bike had the clutch basket on the left; and the drive chain was on the right side.

The sound is coming from the front sprocket area on the left side.

I'm checking the chain slack as specified in the owner's manual. I did a check before installing Moto Werk's lowering link as well as after. Before, the chain was really loose - around 1.5" After, it's just over 1" of slack.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
...The sound is coming from the front sprocket area on the left side.

I'm checking the chain slack as specified in the owner's manual. I did a check before installing Moto Werk's lowering link as well as after. Before, the chain was really loose - around 1.5" After, it's just over 1" of slack....
MINE (3 V 650s) have NEVER 'rattled', probably because I lube my chains a bit more often than the average owner does, as well as keeping them adjusted.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode