Has anyone found a decent mounting location for a dash cam? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
HOMERSlMPSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Posts: 35
Has anyone found a decent mounting location for a dash cam?

I have a GoPro Session or something like that (a little cube) and I must have spent $50 on mounts etc trying to figure out a way to mount this thing.
Everywhere I mount it, is too shaky. If I can't read the license plates on the cars around me, it's not going to do me much good.
It's a great camera and all. I'm just looking for suggestions on how/where to mount the sucker.
FYI - The helmet mount is a pain in the ass because on the highway you REALLY feel the wind catching against it (even with the stupid low profile helmet mount I paid EXTRA for lol).
So yeah, any ideas?
I have a 2015 Versys 650 btw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOMERSlMPSON is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Terrace, B.C.
Posts: 71
Garage
Have you tried mounting it between and just above the headlights, in front of the windscreen? Suction cup mount probably wouldn't work, but maybe one of the 3M sticky mounts?
zzzoren is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,607
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
head mount is the best mount IMO
AdventureSeeker likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is online now  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
HOMERSlMPSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzoren View Post
Have you tried mounting it between and just above the headlights, in front of the windscreen? Suction cup mount probably wouldn't work, but maybe one of the 3M sticky mounts?

I'll have to take a look and see what that area looks like. Ideally I'd like a spot where I'm NOT gonna forget it's there as we all know what will happen at that point.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOMERSlMPSON is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
HOMERSlMPSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
head mount is the best mount IMO


On the side of the helmet?
Or under the chin? Top of the helmet? Inside the helmet?

I was even thinking Google Glass would have been pretty bad ass.

The goal here is pretty much if I wind up in a coffin, I want my peoples to know how I went out lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOMERSlMPSON is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 241
Chin mount. Any of several ways to do it. I don't have my helmet with me today to take a pic but I can show you how I have mine---although it's not a session.
AdventureSeeker is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
vaulter is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
HOMERSlMPSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Posts: 35


I wanted to mount it there but I forgot to mention that it needs to be easily removable as the battery doesn't last very long. How's the video from that location?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOMERSlMPSON is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMERSlMPSON View Post
I wanted to mount it there but I forgot to mention that it needs to be easily removable as the battery doesn't last very long. How's the video from that location?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The video looks great. It's connected to the bike's battery and starts recording when the bike starts. records in loops. That location also protects it from the weather and also it's concealed so no one can know it's there. Having the camera record independently is a big advantage as you never know when something might happen.
vaulter is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
HOMERSlMPSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
The video looks great. It's connected to the bike's battery and starts recording when the bike starts. records in loops. That location also protects it from the weather and also it's concealed so no one can know it's there. Having the camera record independently is a big advantage as you never know when something might happen.


What kind of camera you using?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOMERSlMPSON is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMERSlMPSON View Post
What kind of camera you using?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...608.0.0.BwBwqh

the quality is good during the day... no so much during the night. If you have more money to invest, i'd recommend you to get a 1080p camera. the purpose of my camera is for evidence in case of an accident or police pulling me over for no reason.
vaulter is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...608.0.0.BwBwqh

the quality is good during the day... no so much during the night. If you have more money to invest, i'd recommend you to get a 1080p camera. the purpose of my camera is for evidence in case of an accident or police pulling me over for no reason.
I noticed that the plastic where I would attach my GoPro using a sticky mount to on the Gen 3 isn't flat, and the rounded helmet sticky mounts would curve the wrong way. How do you have yours attached?
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I noticed that the plastic where I would attach my GoPro using a sticky mount to on the Gen 3 isn't flat, and the rounded helmet sticky mounts would curve the wrong way. How do you have yours attached?
i didnt want to drill holes in the faring so i super-glued the camera bracket to the fairing from the inside. The bracket is made of metal but is bendable so it's easy to make it the same arc as the fairing.
vaulter is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,607
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMERSlMPSON View Post
On the side of the helmet?
Or under the chin? Top of the helmet? Inside the helmet?

I was even thinking Google Glass would have been pretty bad ass.

The goal here is pretty much if I wind up in a coffin, I want my peoples to know how I went out lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i personally use a modded drift 720hd mounted to the side of my helmet

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is online now  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Member
 
Tomasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 91
Garage
Sena 10c all the way, does everything. Complete package.
no more to pay.

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My motovlog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tomasama is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 131
I have a Sena Prism Tube, which comes with a slick clamp-mount for the side of your helmet.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Puig "Touring" windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW Sport Grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, SW-Motech gas cap mount tankbag, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, Mag-Knight tank pad, SW-Motech steel luggage rack, SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, Givi V-47 top case, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, decalectomy
Doug Just Doug is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 265
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...608.0.0.BwBwqh

the quality is good during the day... no so much during the night. If you have more money to invest, i'd recommend you to get a 1080p camera. the purpose of my camera is for evidence in case of an accident or police pulling me over for no reason.
This one looks interesting:

1080P remote mounts.

How easy was it to set up your model, i.e. readability of instructions, etc??

'09 Versys
Jmason is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Member
 
uparmorjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central California
Posts: 75
Garage
Mine is mounted on either of my mirror posts. only one mount to minimize shaking. I had to remove the clear back cover to be able to connect the USB cord and keep it charged while moving. The biggest advantage is that you see it all the time, it is accessible and you remember to turn it on/off. I have another ring mount on the crash bar but do not use it too much.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
uparmorjoe is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmorjoe View Post
Mine is mounted on either of my mirror posts. only one mount to minimize shaking. I had to remove the clear back cover to be able to connect the USB cord and keep it charged while moving. The biggest advantage is that you see it all the time, it is accessible and you remember to turn it on/off. I have another ring mount on the crash bar but do not use it too much.
https://youtu.be/1pxeGGXRXSg
Video is great. Can you take a picture of how you mount it?
Buffalo_Bob is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Member
 
uparmorjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central California
Posts: 75
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Video is great. Can you take a picture of how you mount it?
Same place, two different mounts. The key to minimize vibration is using only one mount and tightening just enough so that it does not move and the rubber is soft enough to absorb vibrations. I removed the back lid to allow for the usb cable while riding. Never ever needed it as I don't film in the rain (camera lens fogs).
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/p...4962?icm=false
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...6-9bf58558f66c

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by uparmorjoe; 04-07-2017 at 08:07 AM.
uparmorjoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome