Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Is there any reason I shouldnt use this oil in my versys ?

4K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
I have 3 quarts left over from my car, would it be ok to use in the V (2010)? Im not in an overly hot climate.

Thanks guys

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
40 grade oils aren't resourse conserving, so it might not cause clutch problems. You could have better idea of that if you could find a product data sheet and see how much moly is listed. Based on how other automotive 5W40's do in shared sump motorcycles, I would expect it to shear well out of grade maybe in just a couple thousand miles. I wouldn't put it my bike. Use it for the next oil change in your car, or give it to someone who can.

#8 ·
Haha, thats a good idea.

I'm a firm believer in using flame throwers when flame throwers are needed, and motorcycle oil when motorcycle oil is needed.

As was pointed out, oil is (relatively) cheap, engine rebuilds aren't. (now watch the flame wars start over WHAT oil to buy) :teetertooter:...
Well, I certainly wouldnt buy that oil for the bike, but since its on hand, and I change my oil after 1500-2000k miles.

Might try the rotella that I see is used on most bike forums then.

#14 ·
Are you talking about the original euro car formula oil (sorry, a couple other oils have been mentioned)?

Also Twowheels, I say your post in the insurance thread, where in Canada are you with that rate, and what company? I have to renew in July, paid 1k last yr with aviva.

#28 ·
At those prices I'd be all over using either dino or synthetic Shell Rotella, assuming the the Canuckian versions are also JASO rated on the back of the bottle.

#30 ·
Depends on the type. For the T6 synthetic, you have to check because there are two versions in identical bottles. The 5W-40 is JASO-MA rated, the 0W-40 is not.

But yeah, the price on just about everything up here is nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.