Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bike is in the shop.

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Duffy 
#1 ·
This may seem like a ridiculous question to some but fortunately this is the first time I've brought a motorcycle in for damage.. my question is, what happens to my parts they replace? Do I get my old parts back? Ex: handguards, engine cover ,horn. It's all just comsmetic damage and I'd certainly hope I get all my old parts back just as a backup.

#4 ·
Assuming causes problems

I have owned bikes for 40 plus years, however my 2015 is only my second new bike. For first service I had a magnetic drain plug with me, and I posted elsewhere this dealer is awesome, I paid for a first service more of a thank you for a awesome price than a case of not being able to do it myself. Well when it was done, I asked where did you put the OEM drain plug? Yup, fished it out of the garbage, so unless you say you want the old stuff back, they assume you want them disposed of.So it is always best to be upfront, because I have had cases where it was days later after work was complete, sorry , they went in the garbage.

#5 ·
always request your old parts anytime you have someone else repair/place anything, its a peace of mind it was actually replace (have had it were they dont replace parts) and also lets you inspect the old parts to see why they failed..... and you can make stuff out of the old parts if you have that kinda mind

#7 ·
Expecting to get back a perfectly good stock hand guard from my LT model. An engine cover, horn and a stock side bag. All are fine and in working condition just a few scratches. I wouldn't expect them to keep this stuff or throw it away since they are basically new, but if they try to pull a fast one on me we're gonna have a little problem.

#15 ·
Yes....-ask- for them back and have it noted. When we do a repair job for customers, crash or other wise, we hold parts until the bike goes home just in case. Most people don't want old parts back as there was a reason they were replaced and most don't want back "stuff" that they weren't going to repair or replace by themselves in the first place. Old parts get trashed, recycled, or put on the shelf for "emergency" use or canabalizing for other bikes. We've even had people bring us their "spare" parts that have collected dust for years because they were tired of moving or storing them just taking up space!....I personally have parts of bikes I owned 20+ years ago, so I get it! 😀

#16 · (Edited)
Ditto

whiting57;1354058[B said:
]that is my understanding as well.[/B]
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Something like returning damaged tools under warranty, get them replaced and ask for them back or dig them out of the garbage, so someone else can make a second claim. Believe it or not, I bought some name brand tools off Ebay, this seller had 100's of transactions, all the same brand, slight damage but usable, some imperfections, the lazer printing was off, turns out this person worked for the company and processed defective / damaged tool claims. Took the company a while to realize what was going on as the same tools kept returning but from a different State or Country. This person was finally caught and I will stop there. Nothing stopping you from selling the parts on the forum or Ebay.

#18 ·
[quotewhat=saddlebag;1354258]Prezactly what I was thinking. If insurance if footing the bill, the old stuff is theirs.[/quote]

What happens when the insurance company pays to have it fixed and you decide not to. If you own the bike the insurance will cut the check you.

#20 ·
I can see where everyone is coming from. I guess what I don't understand is this.. They are paying for the NEW parts that are going on the bike. I own the bike and everything on it damaged or not. How does the insurance company get ownership of parts I own and paid for when all they are doing is paying for the the new ones? Maybe this is a question better suited for a different forum.

#26 ·
Yea I see what you mean. Honestly whether insurance is involved or not I don't see any reason why the shop would want to keep my damaged parts. (they are just bolt on parts) and I don't see why my insurance would really benefit at all by wanting the shop to keep them. And I can't picture Geico going and picking up some scratched motorcycle parts and putting them in some sort of storage. I'm just trying to be as money efficient as possible. If I can have a spare stock Kawasaki hand guard, saddle bag and engine cover laying around, i'll try my best to get it back. Thanks for the answers everyone. Only time will tell how this all works out. I just want my damn bike back its beautiful outside.

#28 ·
Whenever I filed a claim with the insurance company and I own the bike no lien. The appraiser would tell me (example)you have 2500.00 worth of damage we are going to send you a check for that amount minus your deductible. The insurance company did not care if I fixed the bike or not.
Once I signed the insurance settlement agreement and cashed the check the insurance company considered the insurance claim closed.

#30 · (Edited)
I've never had a bike claim, however, I have had several auto claims. The last one they had to replace an alloy wheel (the tie rod broke and scarred the inner side of the wheel). I wanted the wheel (it would have made a matching spare) and the repair shop said I could have it if I paid for it (new rim cost). I asked why and they explained the insurance thing to me. This was Washington state (almost as screwed up as California).

If you take a vehicle in for repair the repair facility is required by law to offer you the old parts as proof of changing. Just like they are required to give you a written estimate prior to the repair. Most don't pay much attention to the law however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.