Sport Touring Tires 2017 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Sport Touring Tires 2017

Opinions expressed in this video are pretty consistent with other sources IMO. Your mileage may vary.

trialsguy likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-21-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

As I have mentioned on here before, not happy with my cheap and cheerful Continental Conti Motions. Slippery in cold and wet and without great feel, but they do last a long time. It won't be soon enough when they reach the wear bars and I can slap on a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 AM

Great video (as always from FortNine). One thing I'd add is to consider the performance of the bike - he says PR4s can squirm under acceleration but I've never encountered that. I guess the Versys 650 just doesn't have that much grunt to lay down, or I ride like a wuss (tho FWIW I've tracked these tires and never had issues even during full-throttle corner exits). Agree with all other points: phenomenal in the wet and cold but does tend to scalp during wear.

2015 Versys 650

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

I have and love the T30 Evo Bridgestone tires. I haven't noticed excessive wear on the front yet. Paid 220 for the set and performance is great!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Great video (as always from FortNine). One thing I'd add is to consider the performance of the bike - he says PR4s can squirm under acceleration but I've never encountered that. I guess the Versys 650 just doesn't have that much grunt to lay down, or I ride like a wuss (tho FWIW I've tracked these tires and never had issues even during full-throttle corner exits). Agree with all other points: phenomenal in the wet and cold but does tend to scalp during wear.

I had PR4's on my FJR and never had any issues and heres a video where i smoked a Camaro on ACH and i was not too easy on the throttle........Jump to about 2:51 of the video to get to the main part of the video.....
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Another appealing option not listed is the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. It has done well in a recent MCN tire test and sells at a lower and identical price point to the Bridgestone T30EVO. On average these 2 tires are $50 cheaper (for a rear tire) than the premium priced tires like the Michelin PR4, Metzeler Roadtech 01, Pirelli Angel GT that all sell at a similar, but higher price point.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 on many forums. I'm most likely going with them when my stock Dunlops wear out.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM

My stock Dunlops wore off surprisingly quickly (like 2500 miles) despite keeping correct pressures. That was actually a blessing since I hated them - no grip even on warm, dry asphalt. The change to PR4s was dramatic!

I believe that the OEM Versys Roadsmart 2 tyres are different than the ones they sell in stores. AFAIK they're single compound, the factory model marking is different (222 vs 220) and generally they're probably cheaper to produce. Despite being named after a relatively well received tyre, the rubbers you get on a new Versys 650 are pretty bad and don't behave as the full-spec model's reviews would indicate. Or maybe I had a faulty batch...

I haven't met anyone who wouldn't be satisfied with PR4s yet.

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 03-24-2017 at 06:15 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 on many forums. I'm most likely going with them when my stock Dunlop's wear out.
I 've run PR2's and PR3's in the past and been happy with them, particularly the PR3's. The front does tend to scallop though with the Michelin's near the end of their life, last 25%. The impression I have from reading reviews/comparisons over the years, is that when the PR3's and 4's came out a few years back they were a bit of a break through and became a benchmark in the sport tour category, particularly in the wet and wrt tire life. That said, it looks like they have recently been surpassed by competitors like the Mezeler Roadtec 01 and Pirelli Angel GT. I've noticed a big difference between tires, in tire wear and feel in turns, although how much of difference there is between upper end tires like the Michelin PR4's, Metzeler Roadtec 01's, Angel GT's, etc. is anyone's guess. There is also the issue that when you put on new tires they will have the correct profile (roundness) and will almost always feel better than the flat spotted and worn down tires that were removed. I've found dual compound tires, that is tires with softer rubber on the sides and harder rubber in the center section, tend to wear more evenly and provide better grip in the corners. The question I have, is it worth spending the ~$70 extra to get a set of premium priced tires over a set of mid priced Bridgestone T30 EVO's or Dunlop Roadsmart 3's? Hoping people will post reviews.
andyversystheworld likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-24-2017 at 06:31 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As I have mentioned on here before, not happy with my cheap and cheerful Continental Conti Motions. Slippery in cold and wet and without great feel, but they do last a long time. It won't be soon enough when they reach the wear bars and I can slap on a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's.
For the money, Motions are hard to beat. My rear lasted ~5k miles. Can't remember having any cornering grip issues though I did spin them off the line now and again even with TC.
I'm on my second rear 01 on the Versys. I got ~6k miles out of the first one. Going on 10k on the front. They even kept me in one piece after an all day off road excursion last year. I have the Angel GTs on my other bike and they're great tires too.
I was getting super deals on the 01s, but apparently they've started selling as prices have jumped dramatically. OTOH, the Angels prices are coming down and they will be going on the Versys next.
andyversystheworld likes this.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
The question I have, is it worth spending the ~$70 extra to get a set of premium priced tires over a set of mid priced Bridgestone T30 EVO's or Dunlop Roadsmart 3's? Hoping people will post reviews.
The Bridgestone T30 Evos are what came stock on my V1k and it's the only tire I've really had an issue with. Grip was fine, but something about the shape made the bike understeer (want to stand up and run wide) when cornering aggressively. The Conti Motions were the first tire I used after and they totally eliminated that tendency as have every tire I've used since.
Doesn't mean the Stones are necessarily bad, they just don't work well with the V1k and the way I ride.
weljo2001 likes this.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
The Bridgestone T30 Evos are what came stock on my V1k and it's the only tire I've really had an issue with. Grip was fine, but something about the shape made the bike understeer (want to stand up and run wide) when cornering aggressively. The Conti Motions were the first tire I used after and they totally eliminated that tendency as have every tire I've used since.
Doesn't mean the Stones are necessarily bad, they just don't work well with the V1k and the way I ride.

Yep, The T30 Evos that came on my bike are fine for day to day riding but don't feel secure in all riding situations like the PR4's did.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Does anyone know if Bridgestone will continue fabricating the Battlax BT023s?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The question I have, is it worth spending the ~$70 extra to get a set of premium priced tires over a set of mid priced Bridgestone T30 EVO's or Dunlop Roadsmart 3's? Hoping people will post reviews.
I recently had a chance to do a short test ride on the new Roadsmart III tires. While it wasn't much time, I was impressed.

It's a shame so many Versys owners get turned off of Dunlop tires because of the stock tires that come on the bike. I love the Q3 sport tires on my sport bike and have been very satisfied with the Roadsmart IIs on my Versys. I think the Roadsmart IIIs are at least as good.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Does anyone know if Bridgestone will continue fabricating the Battlax BT023s?
Bridgestone is marketing the T30 EVO's as an improvement/replacement for the BT023. I would imagine however you can still pick these up as old stock. They may even continue making it as a downmarket tire and sell it at a reduced cost.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Bridgestone is marketing the T30 EVO's as an improvement/replacement for the BT023. I would imagine however you can still pick these up as old stock. They may even continue making it as a downmarket tire and sell it at a reduced cost.
I already have a set of BT023s. I just hope that they keep making them.
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Also, Metzeler is running mail in rebates promotion right now. Save $40 on a set of Roadtecs, and several others for that matter

Big Jake

Two wheels are better than four
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Metzeler Rebate program seems to have just been for summer 2016 although it's possible they may repeat it later this year.

Best Canadian prices I've found on these are at petes-superbike.ca ($160CDN front, $182CDN rear). Michelin PR4's and Pirelli Angel GT's are similarly priced. Bridgestone T30's are ~$60 cheaper a set but probably not as good. I've found many local retailers will match online prices if you ask. My money is going to Metzeler this year for the Roadtec 01's.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
I recently had a chance to do a short test ride on the new Roadsmart III tires. While it wasn't much time, I was impressed.

It's a shame so many Versys owners get turned off of Dunlop tires because of the stock tires that come on the bike. I love the Q3 sport tires on my sport bike and have been very satisfied with the Roadsmart IIs on my Versys. I think the Roadsmart IIIs are at least as good.
Lance, did we by chance meet at the Rev boutique in Philly? Like....March?
I had a great conversation with a gentleman who thought my '09, parked next to his Triumph, was his own Versys left behind at home.
Or maybe Revzilla is just a hub for folks who own the V?

-GTP

-GTP
2009 Versys "Greenie"
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

PR4 ftw. If you're not going off road, get them and move on. I've ran the 2, 3, and now 2 sets of 4's. I ride pretty aggressively, and have never thought once about the tires besides, "MAN, these things are sticky!"
weljo2001 and BreckRider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode