High Insurance Rates? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

High Insurance Rates?

I'm getting ready to renew my insurance through Progressive on my 2016 650LT, but I was shocked when I added it to my policy last time. The rates were twice what I was paying for my Vulcan 1600. I'm wondering if they consider the Versys as a sport bike?

Any collective wisdom on insurance companies appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I'm getting ready to renew my insurance through Progressive on my 2016 650LT, but I was shocked when I added it to my policy last time. The rates were twice what I was paying for my Vulcan 1600. I'm wondering if they consider the Versys as a sport bike?

I believe they do....When i brought my 09 Versys from Texas where i was paying about $300.00 a year full coverage. To Cali they wanted almost $1300.00 a year for full coverage.... Actually got the Versys 1000 insured for just over $1000.00 a year

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Yes, I'm sure they consider it a sport bike.......when I switched from the Vulcan 1500 to the Versys the insurance was considerably higher. When I questioned my agent (Allstate) he said it was because the Versys was newer (worth more money) and was considered a "sport bike". A higher risk rate according to him.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I believe they do....When i brought my 09 Versys from Texas where i was paying about $300.00 a year full coverage. To Cali they wanted almost $1300.00 a year for full coverage.... Actually got the Versys 1000 insured for just over $1000.00 a year
Yep, I'm paying 78 a month for a 2017 Versys 1000 through State Farm.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I know for me when I checked insurance progressive was more than geico.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 PM

I was under the impression insurance rates are much, much cheaper in the US. I pay ~$650/yr for comprehensive for comparison with a perfect driving record. On another forum people were reporting paying as little as $100/yr to insure a motorcycle in the US.

As a point of comparison in Canada if you are younger or have a driving history with a past suspended license from say a DUI you can pay upwards of $4-5K/year. It is illegal to drive without insurance here with a $2000 fine and impounded vehicle. There is also a difference in coverage. For starters there is a law that you must carry at a minimum, $1 million liability, also with comprehensive it includes aux. health care insurance that covers things like prescriptions, physiotherapy, home nursing, etc., for you and passengers and loss of income from your job if you can't work.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM

my 2013 Versys (liablity) from progressive runs about $100 per year, and about $15 per year for each additional bike. My additional bikes are Harley Heritage, Harley softail standard, and Triumph Daytona.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 03-21-2017 at 06:15 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I know for me when I checked insurance progressive was more than geico.
For me, I got a quote from Geico and they were higher for the same coverage.

I know they all look at driving records and accidents, which I've had none for at least 15 years.

I wondering if any others have found insurance companies that don't lump the Versys into the same high risk as sports bikes. Kawasaki lists the Versys as a touring bike.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
my 2013 Versys (liablity) from progressive runs about $100 per year, and about $15 per year for each additional bike. My additional bikes are Harley Heritage, Harley softail standard, and Triumph Daytona.
Out of curiosity how much coverage does your liability provide? Is there any fine print that says only you are covered, or are other riders who use these bikes also covered? Just wondering why so cheap.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-21-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM

i bought my 16-650 a month ago. i'm old and have a perfect driving record and, most importantly, a high credit rating. i have collision and comp, with liability and roadside assistance, along with accessory coverage to 3g"s. my deducts are $500 each. if i have no claims, they will disappear.
my premium is $181 per year, paid in advance, lump sum. took some negotiating. progressive.
bigaussie likes this.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Identical Coverage / Different Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsad View Post
i bought my 16-650 a month ago. i'm old and have a perfect driving record and, most importantly, a high credit rating. i have collision and comp, with liability and roadside assistance, along with accessory coverage to 3g"s. my deducts are $500 each. if i have no claims, they will disappear.
my premium is $181 per year, paid in advance, lump sum. took some negotiating. progressive.
When I had my 07, I paid $900 a year, a identical bike with identical everything, in a smaller city South ( 100 KM) of me $450, the difference was the area I lived in, had a Harley dealer and every other make of bike sold in what is referred to as the Twin Cities, so a much higher crash rate and stolen bikes, etc.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 AM

I have progressive, For my V I pay about 400 bucks a year? I go through USAA though so I dont know if that changes anything..
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM

09 650 full coverage 2m liability and 500 deductible. I pay $620/ year in Ontario Canada. Part of the reason I went with the V originally was the cheap quotes.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:06 AM

Garage
I have full coverage from Progressive for ~$240 a year. I also have my house and other vehicles insurance through them too which I believe they give discounts for.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
I have full coverage from Progressive for ~$240 a year. I also have my house and other vehicles insurance through them too which I believe they give discounts for.
What are your deductibles? That may be the key. Mine are $250..
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
What are your deductibles? That may be the key. Mine are $250..
Looks like mine are $500
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I use DAIRYLAND for my AZ Versys (about $250/yr, FULL coverage) and leave it on year-round.

In BC I pay OVER $100/ month, so it's ONLY on while I'm there!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:24 PM

2 bikes, cruiser and V with wife having a crash last year on the cruiser - annual policy renewal in Phoenix $407 for the V with progressive, most coverage and $500 comp deduct, $1,000 collision deduct. We're in our 50s. Moved to this area of PHX 4 years ago, rate went up $100 a bike because of theft, collisions, uninsured, close to a major roadway etc in this ZIP.

FWIW, when the wife crashed Progressive was 100% excellent to deal with, no BS, no hassle, and they offered more than I thought the bike was worth retail plus let me keep it (salvage title, of course). No complaints.

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Garage
I pay $266 per year for full coverage with Progressive for my '16 650LT. I'm not sure off the top of my head what my deductibles are. That's the only thing I have with Progressive, everything else is with a different company. I went with Progressive for the bike because they beat my regular company by a large margin. I believe pricing is based on your driving history, where you live, age, and many other factors.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM

I just bought a policy with Progressive on line, seemed less than what I was paying with Farm Bureau. I realized that I had forgotten something when I Received the Hard copy of my policy. I have tried several times to call Progressive and talk with them. So far I have spent long times on hold being told that I am important and they know that I want to talk to a real person not a recording. I haven't made it thru to a real person yet. I don't know about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode