Cali split lane crash - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Cali split lane crash

Watch this video
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8fc_1489957462
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Ouch...I hope the rider wasn't hurt too badly.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 03-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM

The bike may have been a little on the fast side traveling in the HOV lane, but I think the car cut into that lane without looking far enough back. I think the car with the camera would have had to hit the binders pretty hard to keep from rear ending him.

jmo
DaveC and Jmason like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:50 PM

That sucked.

Versatile Versys
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks like the offending car did a fast double lane change.... in my book that is stupid and irresponsible and only death by fire ants is so ordered.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Garage
Welcome To California.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM

The headline for the video says "dumbass biker"............
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM
BKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
The headline for the video says "dumbass biker"............
Apparently posted by a cager that knows nothing about riding...
That was 100% on the lane-changing cager...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Apparently posted by a cager that knows nothing about riding...
That was 100% on the lane-changing cager...
I agree..........the cage was the cause, however, if the biker had been riding "cautiously" it would not have happened. I always expect cars to do stupid crap and try to kill me. I have fewer "pucker" moments that way.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Garage
It seems like it was a perfect storm of stupid, but being from somewhere that lane splitting isn't allowed, I was under the impression that it is only legal within 5-10 mph of the surrounding traffic which would put the biker at fault. Or am I wrong? Honest question.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I've always been under the understanding that the GREATER the difference between your speed and that of surrounding traffic - the GREATER YOUR chance of a mishap...!

ALSO he passed the vehicle w/ the camera - on its right.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Camera car straddling yellow line to the left of lane, means it probably wasn't visible in side mirror of merging car. Biker, may have been visible, maybe not.. perfect storm of stupidity.. however I have zero sympathy for biker in the case.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM

Cage clearly has turn signal on, dotted line means no limit on entry/exit for the cager (unlike many CA HOV lanes), however just because your signal is on doesn't relieve you of an obligation to shoulder check and properly merge to match the prevailing speed of the lane. Same as an on-ramp.

Lots of blame to go around here.

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM

Garage
The motorcycle was already occupying the lane. The car will be found at fault for not safely making a lane change.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
In Illinois if you hit someone behind the front doors of the vehicle, it's your fault, PERIOD! The car should not have changed lanes. The guy on the bike should not have been going that fast a lane over from that slow of traffic. I think they are both a little at fault in this situation. And I'm not sure why the guy that was recording was driving halfway on the shoulder.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
In Illinois if you hit someone behind the front doors of the vehicle, it's your fault, PERIOD! The car should not have changed lanes. The guy on the bike should not have been going that fast a lane over from that slow of traffic. I think they are both a little at fault in this situation. And I'm not sure why the guy that was recording was driving halfway on the shoulder.

Lane Splitting ( Filtering ) is legal here in Cali. So the truck like a lot of folks here will move over when they see a bike behind them to give them more room to get by. The car did what a lot of folks do here also. Didn't bother to use their mirror before changing lanes. Just something you have to deal with here on a day to day basis.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Lane Splitting ( Filtering ) is legal here in Cali. So the truck like a lot of folks here will move over when they see a bike behind them to give them more room to get by. The car did what a lot of folks do here also. Didn't bother to use their mirror before changing lanes. Just something you have to deal with here on a day to day basis.
In IL and MO, people don't look before changing lanes either, that means they'd have to look up from their phones.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 AM

The biker exceeded the allowed speed by a lot.

Which puts the biker at fault as well. The cager might have looked in the mirror and didn't see the biker, then started merging but a moment later the biker was already there because of the high speed. Both are at fault here.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
Which puts the biker at fault as well. The cager might have looked in the mirror and didn't see the biker, then started merging but a moment later the biker was already there because of the high speed. Both are at fault here.

How can you be sure he was speeding???? The cars to the right were moving slower because of congestion. They both might be at fault but the cager will be more for making an unsafe lane change.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainoi View Post
aaaand THIS is why I move at the speed of surrounding traffic.
and pay attention to what Messrs. Rear View Mirrors tell me.
and signal my intentions.
and make no sudden moves.
and NEVER EVER underestimate the stupidity of my fellow roadway lemmings...

'nuff said.
Duffy likes this.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 03-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode