Dupont Chain Saver - new formulation - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Dupont Chain Saver - new formulation

Dupont seems to keep tweaking their chain lubricant formulation. There has recently been a new formulation come to market, in a new round shoulder can. It is still Teflon, but now has a wax base rather than a Moly one.

Dupont has always been a favorite of mine as it is one of the few clean chain lubricants. That is it does not fling off easily on rear wheel and tire and does not attract grit like the grease based lubes do.

Spotted some in Lowes this weekend and applied to my still hibernating bike. Conclusion, it applies differently than the previous formulation, so has really been changed, but it is too early to know what the effect of this is. Is there even an accurate way to measure the effectiveness of chain lubricants? If I were to speculate I would say the wax base will allow it to last longer between applications and withstand rain better than the previous formulation, but it will no longer help clean the chain when applied, as it does not drip off, carrying contaminates, like the previous product did, before it set up. Compared with Maxima Chain Wax, it sets up differently. Both form a waxy surface but the Maxima forms into a tougher tar/wax surface, one that can be hard to remove when it comes to cleaning your chain, while the Dupont is more of a clear Teflon/wax compound you can feel but not see, if that makes any sense.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Garage
Thanks for the initial info. Always looking for the next best thing!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Garage
I'll be getting some soon.I'm down to half a can of the old Dupont Blue....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'll be getting some soon.I'm down to half a can of the old Dupont Blue....
I'm right there with ya Joe. I was down to 1/2 a bottle of the blue myself. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in my future.

I just checked Amazon........ https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-Chai...EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8

WT@#@ Does this have GOLD flakes in the wax or what? $43 for ONE 4 oz. bottle!
weljo2001 likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 03-23-2017 at 12:08 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I'm right there with ya Joe. I was down to 1/2 a bottle of the blue myself. Looks like a trip to Lowes is in my future.

I just checked Amazon........ https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-Chai...EG9HZWSR2EEGQ8

Yea, their real proud of that...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post

11 oz spray can is $12.48 on Amazon. I use the 11 oz can at home and keep a 3.5 oz spray can in my tank bag.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM

I purchase the 11 oz. size at Wallyworld for approx. $7.

2008 Versys
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode