Oil issue... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
ash

Angry Oil issue...

Guys, what brand and type of oil do you usually use?

I've just had my oil change and put in BelRay EXS 10w-50 full synthetic...the versys doesn't seem to like it...if i don't let the bike warm up to 60 at least the gear changes are ruff ...like there is no oil and i really have to pull up on the lever to engage 2nd...after the bike gets warm all shifts are really smooth...

Anybody else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
I've just had my oil change and put in BelRay EXS 10w-50 full synthetic...
I'm planning to put in BelRay EXS 10W-40 somewhere next week... or a week after, hope to have something to say.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
ash

Please get back to me after

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 PM

I have Mobil One 10-50 synthetic in mine and it is kind of klunky shifting compared to the 1500 Vulcan with dino oil.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
ash

After it warms up all shifts in all gears are like butter...this behaviour is only after she sits for a day...i park it on the center stand in my garage where the temperature is a little low this time of the year...around 7 celsius...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Garage
Why would you use 50 its not a Harley......

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
ash

Came with 50 from the factory...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I very much doubt it.

All V1k service and owners manuals say that the oil viscosity should be SAE 10W-40

You would only use a SAE 10W-50 if your were in a country that has a temp range max of above 40 Deg C

at
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mobil 1 15 / 50

Quote:
Guys, what brand and type of oil do you usually use?

I've just had my oil change and put in BelRay EXS 10w-50 full synthetic...the versys doesn't seem to like it...if i don't let the bike warm up to 60 at least the gear changes are ruff ...like there is no oil and i really have to pull up on the lever to engage 2nd...after the bike gets warm all shifts are really smooth...

Anybody else experience this?
I live in the land of ice and snow, I ride from 1'C to 35'C, after it goes above 35'C it is no longer fun. I run Mobil 1 15 / 50, the same oil Fasteddie uses and a few others. I may have a unfair advantage as I have something no other Versys owner has, I have a Thermo Bob #4 , at 192'F on the discharge side of my bike on my 2015, changing from the OEM mineral oil to Mobil 1 made a huge difference, shifts much smoother. Not starting another oil thread, literately 100's for and against, if you read up on any oil thread remember one key factor , engine temperature stability, also not asking for input on Thermo Bob, much like a comparison to the shunt regulator, I say it is a POS, series is the way to go, yet I bet 99% of the members on this forum are running OEM shunt regulators. Will your stator fail, well that is another topic in another thread. The Case for Using Mobil 1 15W-50 Automobile Oil in a Motorcycle - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

FYI something I should point out, I start my bike before putting on my gear, by the time I am 1 block from home my engine is at 170'F to 180'F, after 1KM it is at 190'F so even when it is 1'C out my engine and oil is a minimum 130'F in less then 5 minutes, from a cold start.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-12-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: update
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 PM

I always use 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil and change it once a year - generally ride less than the 7500mi / 12000km recommended oil change interval. I'm not really stuck on any one brand. If I was riding in some extremely hot environment like summertime Texas though you can use a heavier oil, see user manual. For general warm and cold weather though 10W-40 does it. Synthetic performs better at the hot and cold extremes and maintains it's rated viscosity longer.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Is your clutch cable properly adjusted and lubed? How about your shift lever's main pivot?

Bel-Ray 10W-50 EXS Synthetic Ester 4T viscosity @ 40 C (104 F): 120.8 cSt

Bel-Ray 10W-40 EXS Synthetic Ester 4T: 92.7 cSt

Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle: 91.2 cSt
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 03-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM

Motul 7100 10W40 is the best oil i've ever used. I tried it about 2 years ago and I will never go back. The gear change is as smooth as it can get.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
Quote:
I very much doubt it.

All V1k service and owners manuals say that the oil viscosity should be SAE 10W-40

You would only use a SAE 10W-50 if your were in a country that has a temp range max of above 40 Deg C
I live in a country where summers go above 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is your clutch cable properly adjusted and lubed? How about your shift lever's main pivot?

Bel-Ray 10W-50 EXS Synthetic Ester 4T viscosity @ 40 C (104 F): 120.8 cSt

Bel-Ray 10W-40 EXS Synthetic Ester 4T: 92.7 cSt

Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle: 91.2 cSt
Clutch cable is all good...it started acting like this right after the oil change...

Someone suggested that my mechanic put too much oil in it...could this be an issue?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I live in a country where summers go above 40

Clutch cable is all good...it started acting like this right after the oil change...

Someone suggested that my mechanic put too much oil in it...could this be an issue?
Is your oil level too high?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is your oil level too high?
Gonna swing by the garage tonight and check. Cold and on the center stand? or should be up to running temperature?
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM

- - Rotella 15W-40 - -

But - only used in my motorcycles for the past 30 years or so. And our mowers. Power washer. Whatever.

quexpress likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Cold / Upright/ Level

As in the title, , two marks in the sight glass, lower level, upper level, don't start it unless you plan on getting it to operating temp and keep it running until the cooling fan comes on. Then you will need to wait for the oil to drain down again. Cold, this will show the very highest level just by getting the bike level, if the oil is above the sight glass when upright, it is then overfilled, this isn't good as you start to mix air into the oil, air is a poor lube. Someone else may be able to explain it better. The other thing I would be concerned about is if the oil in the bike is what you supplied or specked.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
ash

cold and on the centre stand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170313_183418.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	117514  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Someone suggested that my mechanic put too much oil in it...could this be an issue?
Quote:
Gonna swing by the garage tonight and check. Cold and on the center stand? or should be up to running temperature?
I always check my oil once it's warmed up. Ignition OFF, bike onto side-stand in gear (so it won't roll), walk to right side of bike, pull it towards you till it's upright against your left hip, then look down at the sight-window, holding it till the level stops rising. Should be between the two 'bumps' on the sight-glass, OR hold the bike vertical from a seated position and look down at the sight-window.

It's NOT really "rocket science"....

BTW - I've used Mobil1 automobile 15w-50 in ALL THREE of my V650s, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!!!

- -
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It's NOT really "rocket science"....

BTW - I've used Mobil1 automobile 15w-50 in ALL THREE of my V650s, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!!!

- -
Mobil1 automobile 15w-50? i thought you are not suppose to use car oil with a wet clutch due to friction modifiers causing clutch slippage,

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode