Oil issue... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Mobil1 automobile 15w-50? i thought you are not suppose to use car oil with a wet clutch due to friction modifiers causing clutch slippage,
silviefox - when I had a Bandit 1200 (OVER 100HP...!), after a back-and-forth w/ one of the forum members who drag-raced HIS, I started using M1 10w-30 and NEVER had a clutch issue! BTW - the 10w-30 HAS friction modifiers while the 15w-50 does NOT.
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Mobil1 automobile 15w-50? i thought you are not suppose to use car oil with a wet clutch due to friction modifiers causing clutch slippage,
This has been discussed MANY times on numerous motorcycle forums for the past (at least) 17 years.
Glance at the round logo at the rear of the oil container. If there is no reference to friction modifiers or to energy conserving, there is no problem using that oil in your motorcycle.

FWIW I have been using these types of oils in my motorcycles for the past 15 years without any oil related problem whatsoever.

Note: Oils rated CI-4 are OK in our bikes.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:20 PM

I've been using M1 15w50 in my 03 harley since it was new. It has over 90,000 miles on it now, and the clutch has never been replaced, nor has it ever showed signs of slipping. I have adjusted it every 20,000 miles, and just replaced the original clutch cable last week. Not broken, just getting hard to pull, and lubrication didn't help. I have used M1 in all my harleys. I used Rotella for my first oil change on my Versys, and have no problems. I will probably use M1 15w50 in it from now on. I live in south Ms. and it is hot and humid here in the summer time.
quexpress likes this.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 AM

Motul 4T 7100; 10W40 in both my bikes. Good stuff, lovely red color.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM

BelRay is an excellent oil and 10W50 is no problem either. Your problem is just cold oil that hasn't yet been chopped to **** by your transmission.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
BelRay is an excellent oil and 10W50 is no problem either. Your problem is just cold oil that hasn't yet been chopped to **** by your transmission.
I will attend to that as soon as the weather get a little bit warmer...
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Garage
I feel that agonising over the oil type and brand is a waste of time. As long as the specs on the oil and the proper weight as per the manual are followed the brand doesn't matter much. I put over 200,000 km on a Concours using mostly regular oil. I put synthetic in it for a long trip (20000 km) and never changed the oil. I had it analysed when I finally changed it and the oil had 20% useful life remaining. That bike never used any oil and I never had engine wear or clutch problems.

In my V I use non-synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil from Motomaster, a Canadian Tire brand. I need to be frugal and synthetic oil is very expensive. I look for my oil to come on sale and then buy 6-8 quarts (946 ml).
onewizard, DaveC and quexpress like this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
ash

In my country the BelRay EXS is 54$ 4 liters oil filter included...so it's not so expensive..
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...In my V I use non-synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil from Motomaster, a Canadian Tire brand. I need to be frugal and synthetic oil is very expensive. I look for my oil to come on sale and then buy 6-8 quarts (946 ml).
In Canada I buy my oil at either Canadian Tire or Walmart, usually in the 5L plastic jugs of Mobil1. In BC they do NOT seem to carry the 15w-50 that I like to use, so I have friends bringing back a jug in their motorhome, but in Ontario you MIGHT get it...?

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mobil 1 15 / 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
In Canada I buy my oil at either Canadian Tire or Walmart, usually in the 5L plastic jugs of Mobil1. In BC they do NOT seem to carry the 15w-50 that I like to use, so I have friends bringing back a jug in their motorhome, but in Ontario you MIGHT get it...?
It was one of those fluky things, on sale at Canadian Tire last year, if it happens again I will post it, it was the same price as regular oil when on sale.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Guys, what brand and type of oil do you usually use?

I've just had my oil change and put in BelRay EXS 10w-50 full synthetic...the versys doesn't seem to like it...if i don't let the bike warm up to 60į at least the gear changes are ruff ...like there is no oil and i really have to pull up on the lever to engage 2nd...after the bike gets warm all shifts are really smooth...

Anybody else experience this?
I use the motorcycle specific Mobile 1 (10W-40) for my Gen 1 Versys and it seems to work really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8026541_mbi_103436_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	118554  

Devin Lu - 2009 Versys
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
ash

I've switched to semi sythetic BelRay EXP and it seema to be better...the original oil from kawasaki was semi synthetic (as they call it, synthetic technology).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode