RAISING THE '16 for repairs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

RAISING THE '16 for repairs

does anyone here routinely use a floor jack under the muffler, with a wood cushion, to raise the bike for repairs? i have a strap down device i bought from harbor freight for stability, but was cautious about damaging something by putting the weight on the muffler and its supports.
any opinions, based on experience sure would be appreciated.
thanks
bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

I raise the front end by using a bottle jack under the engine...........I tried using a HF motorcycle jack under the muffler and it was way too tippy.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I ALWAYS leave my Vs (BOTH of 'em) on a rear-stand via swingarm-spools.

WHEN I've needed to, I attach something from the handlebars to the ceiling for SAFETY whenever I need to lift under the engine, to keep things from "going sideways", and w/ a wood pad ON the jack-stand.
IE - greasing the steering-head bearings.

Hope this helps.
binderline and Metalmad like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:39 PM

That does it -- I'm getting a center stand!

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Stayed Clear Of Original Post

This has been mentioned many times, right now Princess auto has a hydraulic lift rated at 800 LBs on sale for around $375 for those that are doing all their own work and find it difficult to bend the knees or in my case have trifocals and prefer looking straight forward. My spool lift cost $75 Canadian, many on this forum have the same harbor freight stand, my prop stand cost nothing, however it might cost $5 to buy the tubing. My prop stand will work on both the front or the rear, that is if I get a flat on the front, I can get the wheel in the air, get my tire plugger out and fix it. The cost of the after market center stand is equal to a motorcycle lift in price, secondly, it will only work on a level surface, last, if you get a flat, you better be capable of lifting 200 LBs.

As the pictures show, using a jack under the muffler, I would never consider that as I have at least two other ways, both real cheap, and using my cable hoist. The muffler wasn't designed to lift the bike, you are going through a welded pipe and the exhaust manifold, one very expensive way to lift the bike, again this is my opinion,, just because Eddie does it or I disagree shouldn't have a bearing on what you do.

I also made a motorcycle lift using a old bumper jack and a bed frame, welded a 3/4 rigid pipe to where the bumper attachment was, I can pick up my whole bike using the tubing running through the frame just below the seat, if I was ambitious I would put wheels on the support frame, cost =$0.00, and some welding rod I had, comes apart into two pieces.
There is a similar set up in the How To Forum prop stands and other. One day I will post my stand.

My first version 2007 http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/677449-post12.html

My 2015 version using the same stainless 1/2 inch by 3.5 inches bolt http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...30-post15.html One thing to understand, the slot is for a 120 LB wire ty to act as a lock in place, just slides through, imagine the prop stand in place at a 8 o'clock or 4 o'clock position on the front wheel axle. You have the steering turned full right before attaching, go to the handle bars, side stand is obviously already down, grab both handle bars and pull back, shifting some weight onto the kick stand, about 30 to 40 lbs pulling force with a flat tire, gravity has the prop stand go vertical, the wire ty stops it from falling off the bolt, release/ stop pulling, wheel is in the air, recommend using a bungee from right grip to frame to increase stability. Unfortunately steering lock is full left.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-05-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added Prop stand
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This has been mentioned many times, right now Princess auto has a hydraulic lift rated at 800 LBs on sale for around $375 for those that are doing all their own work and find it difficult to bend the knees or in my case have trifocals and prefer looking straight forward. My spool lift cost $75 Canadian, many on this forum have the same harbor freight stand, my prop stand cost nothing, however it might cost $5 to buy the tubing. My prop stand will work on both the front or the rear, that is if I get a flat on the front, I can get the wheel in the air, get my tire plugger out and fix it. The cost of the after market center stand is equal to a motorcycle lift in price, secondly, it will only work on a level surface, last, if you get a flat, you better be capable of lifting 200 LBs.

As the pictures show, using a jack under the muffler, I would never consider that as I have at least two other ways, both real cheap, and using my cable hoist. The muffler wasn't designed to lift the bike, you are going through a welded pipe and the exhaust manifold, one very expensive way to lift the bike, again this is my opinion,, just because Eddie does it or I disagree shouldn't have a bearing on what you do.

I also made a motorcycle lift using a old bumper jack and a bed frame, welded a 3/4 rigid pipe to where the bumper attachment was, I can pick up my whole bike using the tubing running through the frame just below the seat, if I was ambitious I would put wheels on the support frame, cost =$0.00, and some welding rod I had, comes apart into two pieces.
There is a similar set up in the How To Forum prop stands and other. One day I will post my stand.
Ok Onewizard, I've got the prop for the back (chain lubing/tire repair etc.) but I need to see a pic or two of the front one. I don't want to drag a bottle jack along (even a small one).
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey duff

i like simplicity and yours appears the easiest. do you use the little nubby under the oil filter as the precise point of lift, or is there a better spot?
thanks again
bob
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Added to above post

One prop stand does both front and back. I have recently made a addition to my original stand by carrying a piece of 3" square by 3/8 conveyor belt , for uneven pavement and also to reduce possibility of slipping.Can also be used in a parking lot or on grassy/ soft surfaces, rigid enough to act as a flat foot.Only drawback is the length, looked at hinging it and didn't like the idea. It takes more time to get it out of the bike than getting the bike in the air.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-05-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

onewizard, sorry, don't have the $375 nor can i weld. the postings in the other forums all seem complicted and i don't have the capability of using a cable hoist on the front end. i was hoping for something simple and inexpensive, a hard combination. duffy has an answer that might work for me with the bike on a rear, harbor freight lift that i learned about on this forum.
i share your trepidation on the muffler lifting. i also prefer to be safe than sorry.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Front Triple Tree & Rear Swingarm SpoolLift Stands

I use these Front Triple Tree & Rear Swingarm SpoolLift Stands.

They work very well!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

What are You doing On the Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsad View Post
onewizard, sorry, don't have the $375 nor can i weld. the postings in the other forums all seem complicted and i don't have the capability of using a cable hoist on the front end. i was hoping for something simple and inexpensive, a hard combination. duffy has an answer that might work for me with the bike on a rear, harbor freight lift that i learned about on this forum.
i share your trepidation on the muffler lifting. i also prefer to be safe than sorry.
The stand that was just posted by quexpress is similar to what I use on the rear. Let me say in all the years I have owned motorcyles, 40 plus, the lifting of the front was less than 10 times in 40 years. The only reason I would have is for repairing a flat, removing the front wheel for a tire change, is the only one that won't work with my prop stand, that is where a triple tree stand comes into play, I don't own one. Others have used the side stand and foot pegs, using engine stands, in fact somewhere on this forum, my 07 bike was on the lift with engine stands under the foot pegs , as I was working on the front wheel. To get the bike up on the engine stands was done with a small trolley jack.Also used engine stands on rear bobins. Photo is 07
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160130_194602603.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	116817  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Where did you get the attachment for front

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I use these Front Triple Tree & Rear Swingarm SpoolLift Stands.

They work very well!
These stands were posted earlier, I found the front attachment stopped at something like 18mm, ours takes 27mm, so did you make it or is there another link?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The stand that was just posted by quexpress is similar to what I use on the rear. Let me say in all the years I have owned motorcyles, 40 plus, the lifting of the front was less than 10 times in 40 years. The only reason I would have is for repairing a flat, removing the front wheel for a tire change, is the only one that won't work with my prop stand, that is where a triple tree stand comes into play, I don't own one. Others have used the side stand and foot pegs, using engine stands, in fact somewhere on this forum, my 07 bike was on the lift with engine stands under the foot pegs , as I was working on the front wheel. To get the bike up on the engine stands was done with a small trolley jack.Also used engine stands on rear bobins. Photo is 07
onewizzard, i believe i saw an old picture of you arrangement. i could use the same system on mine, with the engine stands under the foot pegs. you mensioned using a trolley jack; where was it placed to raise the bike so you could place the engine stands?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
does anyone here routinely use a floor jack under the muffler, with a wood cushion, to raise the bike for repairs? i have a strap down device i bought from harbor freight for stability, but was cautious about damaging something by putting the weight on the muffler and its supports.
any opinions, based on experience sure would be appreciated.
thanks
bob
I lift my bike from under the right side foot peg mount to tripod it on front wheel and kick stand. This was secure enough to do rear suspension work. I would imagine lifting under the muffler would dent it.
For regular maintenance I would suggest putting spools on the rear swing arm (10mm size, except for 2015 or later biker that are 8mm). The rear swing arm is threaded for these. Spools are ~$10 on eBay and will help protect the swing arm in a drop. Lift with a rear pit stand under the lifting spools. For starters this puts the bike upright and in a good position for maintenance and is easier to get the bike up on and more secure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor-jack.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	116849  
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
These stands were posted earlier, I found the front attachment stopped at something like 18mm, ours takes 27mm, so did you make it or is there another link?
I had a local machinist make a 27mm sleeve to fit over the front attachment.
Note: Someone also mentioned using a ratchet socket over the front attachment but I do not remember in what thread.

I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Engine stands

Quote:
onewizzard, i believe i saw an old picture of you arrangement. i could use the same system on mine, with the engine stands under the foot pegs. you mensioned using a trolley jack; where was it placed to raise the bike so you could place the engine stands?
Not my picture, I have the Speedy foot peg lowering blocks, folded up they extend out an additional 1 1/4 which allows using a trolley jack on one side.The photo I think you saw is this one , and he just lifts the bike from one sidehttp://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1298194-post5.html lifting is done putting the engine stand under the brake side first then lifting and sliding under the side stand side.

For stability you can't beat this homemade version http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1298538-post2.html

Next time I am working on the bike I will post my bumper jack lift, I made it to be able to lift the whole bike while either on the floor or while on my bike lift.

One word of caution, the engine/ vehicle stands could easily cost you the price of the most expensive lift out there if the bike slips off. When working on the bike, and this applies to any lift, make sure you break loose any major fasteners, such as the axle nut, before you lift the bike,and that applies to final torque also, recently someone learned the hard way, bike crashed to the ground and injured the person in the process.

Also be aware, using the triple tree lift involves using it combined with the rear lift.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-06-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:50 AM

Onewizard......I got the impression that you were using the rear prop (piece of wood or an old crutch like Eddie) on the front also. I'm looking for something to raise the front if I have a flat while traveling. If you use that on the front, where do you use it.

Perhaps I got the wrong impression in my reading............it happens.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Onewizard......I got the impression that you were using the rear prop (piece of wood or an old crutch like Eddie) on the front also. I'm looking for something to raise the front if I have a flat while traveling....
So far I've NOT had a front flat, but IF I do, my plan would be to roll it till I can access the puncture hole, then HOPEFULLY plug the hole and add air.... ALL on the sidestand.

quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Kapsco Moto sells the steering stem stand with a 27mm tree pin.

If you already have the steering stem stand, you could order Pin Kit #2.

onewizard likes this.

I just shuffle slower.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

On The Way, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Kapsco Moto sells the steering stem stand with a 27mm tree pin.

If you already have the steering stem stand, you could order Pin Kit #2.

$5 shipping, not bad.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode