Farkle Bang for the buck review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Farkle Bang for the buck review

Hope this helps some of the new members to the forum.

Even though I've had my bike (2016 LT) since September I haven't had the money to do the upgrades I've been reading about in this great forum. Some of the posts go back years and it's been fun to compare results of others and to decide what are musts for my needs. I'm finally able to do most of these all at the same time, and it's made a world of difference! We've many new forum members since I joined so I thought they may be interested. Don't flame me if you don't agree with my personal choices, but chime in if you have some other MUST Farkles.

The bargains

Seat Riser Block- One of our forum members Rawkstar320 makes these riser blocks to raise the front of the seat so you don't keep sliding into your tank, A MUST buy and the best $14.00 you can spend on your Versys. Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod

Pro Grip Gel Grips- $10.30 on Amazon. Just right grips that aren't hard, and they seem to remove most of the tingles too. I don't really need the heated ones.

KAWASAKI LIME GREEN REFLECTIVE MOTORCYCLE RIM STRIPES -$13.00 Found these on eBay, they are pre curved and easy to put on. They really show up at night!

Expensive but worth it.

GIVI 4114 ST Windscreen- I've read just about every review I could find and there is not a one size works for all, but the GIVI wins my vote and a great value at $117.00. You can read more about my experience- GIVI D4114ST Windscreen

Motowerk footpeg lowering blocks- $50.00 It's all about comfort here and it helps to eliminate the fetal sportbike position that my old body now rebels with cramps, etc. Between these lowering blocks and the below risers, the riding position is really opened up.

Motowerk Handlebar Risers V650LT- $50.00 I got the 1.5" risers and probably would have been happy with the 1" model. Much more relaxed sitting, the stock reach tended to make me slouch.

Motowerk Mirror Extenders- $36.00 Wow, I can really see behind me now, instead of my shoulders. The folks in Japan must really have narrow shoulders.

Install next week-

JT Sprockets 16 tooth Front Sprocket- $10.30 . Since I can't add a 7th gear to my bike, this will be next best thing. I've been buying JT Sprockets for numerous bikes over the years and been really happy with their longevity. Yes, I know this one doesn't have the rubber covering, and yes I have a big Air Compressor and 1/2" impact wrench. The Versys is not the only bike that has issues with loosening that nut!

Really happy with the results so far, calling it dialed in for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4121.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	116457  
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Glad to hear the Givi Windshield works...

My wife just ordered me one for my birthday. (she just doesn't know it yet...)

chrisfla1 likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Where in North Idaho? We lived in Post Falls for 27 years. Our favorite motorcycle road was Hwy 12 from Lewiston over the Lolo Pass. We would frequently stay at the Lochsa Lodge. Great memories!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 PM

I've done all those also (except the peg lowering blocks). I did add highway pegs which takes care of that bit of discomfort.

A couple of others you might consider are a throttle lock, gear indicator, power plug, dash phone mounting, further seat modification (foam/gel), and a nice trunk. Plus a nice set of gravel type tires.

I could go on and on cause the mod bug never stops.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 PM

KAWASAKI LIME GREEN REFLECTIVE MOTORCYCLE RIM STRIPES

Just ordered these -- thanks! A little money for a lot of visibility!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Those wheel stripes really stand out at night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	116497  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Those wheel stripes really stand out at night!
Here's my '15 w/ narrow ones from Cycle Gear.

Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I've done all those also (except the peg lowering blocks). I did add highway pegs which takes care of that bit of discomfort.

A couple of others you might consider are a throttle lock, gear indicator, power plug, dash phone mounting, further seat modification (foam/gel), and a nice trunk. Plus a nice set of gravel type tires.

I could go on and on cause the mod bug never stops.
Yep, I'll be doing the throttle lock, gear indicator, power plug, and a trunk in phase 2
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, I'll be doing the throttle lock, gear indicator, power plug, and a trunk in phase 2

You can save about $60.00 bucks and get the Vulcan S OEM Power Outlet it works on the Versys also.......https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You can save about $60.00 bucks and get the Vulcan S OEM Power Outlet it works on the Versys also.......https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541
Thanks, that's cheap enough, I think I can sneak that one in past my financial advisor (wife). I'll guess I'll need the relay too.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, that's cheap enough, I think I can sneak that one in past my financial advisor (wife). I'll guess I'll need the relay too.

Yes for the V-650 you need the relay for the V-1000 you don't...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

She might approve of this too.....gear indicator help?
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Bang for the $...?

About $2 for 12 washers, two longer bolts, plus a piece of scrap steel to raise the front of your seat.

WORKS on Gens 1, 2 and 3...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
About $2 for 12 washers, two longer bolts, plus a piece of scrap steel to raise the front of your seat.

WORKS on Gens 1, 2 and 3...!
Can we have a pic with the seat on, for reference? Thank you!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Can we have a pic with the seat on, for reference? Thank you!
Yes. BTW - I have ridden my '08 about 70,000 miles w/ this mod; my '09 about 64,000 kms w/ it; and my '15 for 27,956 kms w/ it. NEVER had a sore 'butt', nor damaged any seats....

Ed

..)

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Hope this helps some of the new members to the forum.

Even though I've had my bike (2016 LT) since September I haven't had the money to do the upgrades I've been reading about in this great forum. Some of the posts go back years and it's been fun to compare results of others and to decide what are musts for my needs. I'm finally able to do most of these all at the same time, and it's made a world of difference! We've many new forum members since I joined so I thought they may be interested. Don't flame me if you don't agree with my personal choices, but chime in if you have some other MUST Farkles.

The bargains

Seat Riser Block- One of our forum members Rawkstar320 makes these riser blocks to raise the front of the seat so you don't keep sliding into your tank, A MUST buy and the best $14.00 you can spend on your Versys. Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod

Pro Grip Gel Grips- $10.30 on Amazon. Just right grips that aren't hard, and they seem to remove most of the tingles too. I don't really need the heated ones.

KAWASAKI LIME GREEN REFLECTIVE MOTORCYCLE RIM STRIPES -$13.00 Found these on eBay, they are pre curved and easy to put on. They really show up at night!

Expensive but worth it.

GIVI 4114 ST Windscreen- I've read just about every review I could find and there is not a one size works for all, but the GIVI wins my vote and a great value at $117.00. You can read more about my experience- GIVI D4114ST Windscreen

Motowerk footpeg lowering blocks- $50.00 It's all about comfort here and it helps to eliminate the fetal sportbike position that my old body now rebels with cramps, etc. Between these lowering blocks and the below risers, the riding position is really opened up.

Motowerk Handlebar Risers V650LT- $50.00 I got the 1.5" risers and probably would have been happy with the 1" model. Much more relaxed sitting, the stock reach tended to make me slouch.

Motowerk Mirror Extenders- $36.00 Wow, I can really see behind me now, instead of my shoulders. The folks in Japan must really have narrow shoulders.

Install next week-

JT Sprockets 16 tooth Front Sprocket- $10.30 . Since I can't add a 7th gear to my bike, this will be next best thing. I've been buying JT Sprockets for numerous bikes over the years and been really happy with their longevity. Yes, I know this one doesn't have the rubber covering, and yes I have a big Air Compressor and 1/2" impact wrench. The Versys is not the only bike that has issues with loosening that nut!

Really happy with the results so far, calling it dialed in for a while.

+1 on the Motowerk Handlebar riser. Very comfortable.

Also, the seat block by rawkstar320 is a very nice piece, unfortunately, it did not work with my Sargent Seat . The seat base would not latch in place.

2015 Candy Lime Green 650 LT
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 AM

Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Best thing I ever bought for any bike is...

7 Pairs - Adult Custom Moldable Soft Silicone Putty Swimming & Sleeping Earplugs | eBay

I must have different size ear canals and no other ear plugs worked comfortably/effectively..... these things transform a bike ride. If you have never tried them give yourself a treat for £2.49!
quexpress likes this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Noise Reduction Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Best thing I ever bought for any bike is...

7 Pairs - Adult Custom Moldable Soft Silicone Putty Swimming & Sleeping Earplugs | eBay

I must have different size ear canals and no other ear plugs worked comfortably/effectively..... these things transform a bike ride. If you have never tried them give yourself a treat for £2.49!
Do you know what the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is for these?
Thanks for posting this info!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Do you know what the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is for these?
Thanks for posting this info!
sorry no.... but I must have tried just about every ear plug available and these (or similar) are the only ones that are comfortable for hours and cut out the noise. I think I am unusual because one ear canal is smaller than the other and any other type of ear plug was great on the left but terrible on the right and either fell out or hurt like hell. I nearly had some custom jobs made but I lose stuff all the time and these are cheap and effective.
When you pull them out you have a perfect impression of your ear canal!

Well worth trying out for the money - and make sure you follow the instructions and pull the top of your ear up as you insert.... more important than you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode