Farkle Bang for the buck review - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
sorry no.... but I must have tried just about every ear plug available and these (or similar) are the only ones that are comfortable for hours and cut out the noise. I think I am unusual because one ear canal is smaller than the other and any other type of ear plug was great on the left but terrible on the right and either fell out or hurt like hell. I nearly had some custom jobs made but I lose stuff all the time and these are cheap and effective.
When you pull them out you have a perfect impression of your ear canal!
Well ... looks like there are at least 2 unusual riders on this forum. I also have one ear canal smaller than the other. In my case, it's the left one. My experience with different ear plugs has been very similar to yours.

Quote:
Well worth trying out for the money - and make sure you follow the instructions and pull the top of your ear up as you insert.... more important than you think.
I have ordered some Mighty Plugs after having read about it (18 pages) on ADV Rider.

If by any chance, these did not work out, I'd give Hush Plugz Silicone Earplugs a try.

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Well ... looks like there are at least 2 unusual riders on this forum. I also have one ear canal smaller than the other. In my case, it's the left one. My experience with different ear plugs has been very similar to yours....
I use "Stanley" ear plugs I bought at Home Depot a few years ago, good for about 30dB noise attenuation. I found the one in my right ear would be a trifle TOO long, so I just clip the end 1/4" or so off, while the left one stays 'stock'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well ... looks like there are at least 2 unusual riders on this forum. I also have one ear canal smaller than the other. In my case, it's the left one. My experience with different ear plugs has been very similar to yours....
I use "Stanley" ear plugs I bought at Home Depot a few years ago, good for about 30dB noise attenuation. I found the one in my right ear would be a trifle TOO long, so I just clip the end 1/4" or so off, while the left one stays 'stock'.

To put them in, I 'twirl' the end (making it smaller) then slide it in, using my other hand to pull back the top of my ear so it OPENS the ear canal for the 'insertion'.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

To put them in, I 'twirl' the end (making it smaller) then slide it in, using my other hand to pull back the top of my ear so it OPENS the ear canal for the 'insertion'.
I use similar techniques but have difficulty inserting foam ones into my left ea canalr. Because of that, once the ear plug has been inserted into that left ear, I leave it there for the whole ride. At rest stops, I only remove the right one.

I'm quite confident that the Mighty Plugs will solve that issue for me because they are not inserted INTO the ear canal. They simply block the entrance.

I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Added some things made bike better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_200519.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	117890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_200614.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	117898  

Versatile Versys

Last edited by Glenno; 03-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
Added some things made bike better.

You should level that frame slider out.....

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You should level that frame slider out.....

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr
Yes I'm going to do that. I did watch your video and that's how I found out about the forward pegs and the sliders. I have them that way so I can re-position the pegs out on the road until I get them just right without having to remove the puck set screw and the puck.

Versatile Versys
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
Yes I'm going to do that. I did watch your video and that's how I found out about the forward pegs and the sliders. I have them that way so I can re-position the pegs out on the road until I get them just right without having to remove the puck set screw and the puck.

When i first put mine on i had them ****-eyed too. When you take the puck off take a crescent wrench and hold the flat metal piece level that the bolt goes through and keep it level with the wrench while you tighten the bolt....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When i first put mine on i had them ****-eyed too. When you take the puck off take a crescent wrench and hold the flat metal piece level that the bolt goes through and keep it level with the wrench while you tighten the bolt....
I didn't want to tell you this until the company sent me some new parts. When I was installing the right side puck the set screw went in half way and then got tight. Then it wouldn't come out. So I had a wobbly puck with a set screw that wouldn't go all the way in or out. When I contacted the company at first I didn't think they were going to help me out. Long story short I had to cut the puck up to remove it. Once the puck was off I discovered that when the mounting bracket was machined they drilled the set screw hole in conflict with the main bolt hole that holds the bracket to the bike. A millimeter or two to close and the set screw hit the large mount bolt and destroyed the set screw during installation. Anyway they sent me another right side mount, puck, and set screw. See pictures. The parts came today so I will install them tomorrow and use your advice about the crescent wrench. I may also move the forward pegs more forward like yours if I feel they are not forward enough. Waiting for weather to get nicer. It really hasn't begun to feel like spring in NY yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG6698.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	117914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6699.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	117922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6701.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	117930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6700.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	117938  

Versatile Versys
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I use similar techniques but have difficulty inserting foam ones into my left ea canalr. Because of that, once the ear plug has been inserted into that left ear, I leave it there for the whole ride. At rest stops, I only remove the right one.

I'm quite confident that the Mighty Plugs will solve that issue for me because they are not inserted INTO the ear canal. They simply block the entrance.
I have worn Mighty Plugs for over 1000 km. No more sore ears, etc.... yet they do the job as advertised.
I'm very happy with these ear plugs.

I just shuffle slower.

post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM

MRA shield, around 25% bigger than stock ... and tinted ... cost $140 CDN.

RG Racing rad screen ... I had this to put on my ninja 650, the rad on the versys is reversed, so I just cut the tabs off and used automotive 2 sided tape, others have just bought some screen from lowes, cut it to shape and used the same tape. Cost $99.99 CDN

Oxford premium touring heated grips vs the OEM ones .... a 5 position setting .. cost $120 CDN

I just ordered a SW Motech center stand, cost $300 CDN ... should be here in a couple of weeks.

All my farkles are pictured on my home page ....

For ear plugs, I use these ... $20 for 80 pairs, great for the bike, even better for the other half's snoring.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/st...0154p.html#srp

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....

Last edited by whiting57; 04-26-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM

Three cheap items I've found on EBay.

The aluminum valve stems (when mounted to point out to right side of bike) makes it easy to connect the air hose without fighting for clearance with the disk rotors on the front and are $5 for a pair. Well worth swapping in when you change tires.

The combo voltmeter and temp gauge was I think $6. The temp sensor wire broke off of mine after a season but at $6 I guess I can afford another. Also the thermometer is very accurate and not affected by surface heat from the sun if you keep sensor wire in clean air (a major issue with many bike surface mounted temp gauges), but does not display negative temperatures (32F=0C), more of an issue if you have the Celsius version of the product. I find the ambient temp gauge is more useful, on a daily basis, than the voltmeter unless you have an ongoing battery or charging issue. The voltmeter is accurate to .1 v which is enough to see the difference turning accessories on and off has as well as the effect of RPM on charging - something the LED bar gauges don't do well.

15x15 inch stretch cargo net - $4 stores easily under seat when not in use and can be used to secure bulky stuff to passenger seat like laptop case, extra helmet, sleeping bag, etc.. I've also used bigger sized ones but 15x15 seems to be optimal for most stuff as they stretch quite a bit.

+1 on heated grips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	120130   Click image for larger version

Name:	volt.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	120138  

Last edited by twowheels; 04-26-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Where in North Idaho? We lived in Post Falls for 27 years. Our favorite motorcycle road was Hwy 12 from Lewiston over the Lolo Pass. We would frequently stay at the Lochsa Lodge. Great memories!
We're north of lovely, metropolitan Spirit Lake, the Sargasso Sea of Unusual Characters.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have worn Mighty Plugs for over 1000 km. No more sore ears, etc.... yet they do the job as advertised.
I'm very happy with these ear plugs.
Wow their website is awful They say that they are reusable but sell them in packs of 3,6,12... how reusable are they? Have you had to replace yours after so many uses?
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
...For ear plugs, I use these ... $20 for 80 pairs, great for the bike, even better for the other half's snoring.

Stanleyģ NRR 32 Earplugs | Canadian Tire
I use them TOO, but bought them at Home Depot, and they have NOT had them there for a long time. MANY THANKS for the heads-up on where they ARE!!!

Ed

..)

post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
Wow their website is awful They say that they are reusable but sell them in packs of 3,6,12... how reusable are they? Have you had to replace yours after so many uses?
I still have the first one (split into 2 parts: half for each ear). IMHO these should last for quite a while.
AngryGazebo likes this.

I just shuffle slower.

post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use them TOO, but bought them at Home Depot, and they have NOT had them there for a long time. MANY THANKS for the heads-up on where they ARE!!!
Your wife snore too, cause having them for the bike is a bonus ... LOL

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Your wife snore too, cause having them for the bike is a bonus ... LOL
Can't say. I remove my hearing-aids BEFORE I go to bed, so things are generally pretty quiet (for ME. I snore....).

whiting57 likes this.

Ed

..)

post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 PM

I just use those orange construction earplugs that have a 32db reduction. They're super cheap and you can re-use them a few times but I love 'em.

Pick them up at any drug store.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 AM

I haven't found any of the disposable ear plugs to be much different in noise reduction. Getting them out is easier with some than others in my ears. I typically prefer to use some LG bluetooth ear buds with my iphone for music, gps instructions, etc. This bike is so much quieter than my Ninja was that I don't even turn up the volume much. Pretty comfortable noise levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode