Versys 650 tipped over by wind? Twice? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Versys 650 tipped over by wind? Twice?

Hi guys,

This actually happened to my 2016 Versys 650 yesterday. My bike was parked between several cars... and I found it tipped over to the right side. It was under bike cover. The sidestand was fully engaged and the front wheel was turned left and locked in this position. Yesterday winds were 10-15mph... I picked it up and returned to the same position just to find it laying again this morning... yep winds are stronger today... like up to 20-25mph... but no slopes... flat surface. Damage: handlebar is bent... and the cover that holds handlebar in place is cracked. I need to replace it. But is this possible at all? Or is it somebody who did this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Yikes; that blows. A tall, light bike with a cover that catches a lot of wind...no, still seems a little hard to believe it didn't have help, especially with just 10-15 mph breeze.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Bike Cover?

You mention bike cover, if you are hooking under the footpegs, yes, you have a big sail. Do you have a topcase? Just me on the bike with 30KM/HR cross winds, I can feel it on the bike ( I have a Givi E56 topcase), the second thing is you mention the steering lock, yes a bad idea, the lock should have been right, that is Kawasaki. You can try from the shifter side, which is easier to tip the bike right, having the steering hard left as in steering locked position or hard right. Also think about push steering, push right for right, left for left.
So do I think the wind blew it over, 98% sure, especially if you have a tall windscreen and a top case.
quexpress likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You mention bike cover, if you are hooking under the footpegs, yes, you have a big sail. Do you have a topcase? Just me on the bike with 30KM/HR cross winds, I can feel it on the bike ( I have a Givi E56 topcase), the second thing is you mention the steering lock, yes a bad idea, the lock should have been right, that is Kawasaki. You can try from the shifter side, which is easier to tip the bike right, having the steering hard left as in steering locked position or hard right. Also think about push steering, push right for right, left for left.
So do I think the wind blew it over, 98% sure, especially if you have a tall windscreen and a top case.
Yep the cover is long enough to cover the footpegs. I have a standard windshield in its topmost position. The top case wasn't installed, the cover is not big enough to fit my bike with the case on.

One of the weirdest thing is that the 2 second time the bike reached a car which was parked next to it. We're talking about regular parking spot in US. The bike was parked in the middle of the parking spot. What kind of wind was that to move the bike, I'd say it moved for like a foot toward the car.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Yikes; that blows. A tall, light bike with a cover that catches a lot of wind...no, still seems a little hard to believe it didn't have help, especially with just 10-15 mph breeze.
Yep... that's what I think too. We had a storm warnings a couple of times... but bike was there and only the cover was blown away once.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Do you leave it in neutral or in gear when you park it ???

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Like I said, steering turned left changes the balance point, only way to find out is have someone on the opposite side of the bike and see how much force it takes.

I should ask, is this bike lowered, and if so did you shorten the side stand??

Last edited by onewizard; 03-02-2017 at 04:23 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Wow, that's seems really rare but possible. I always leave my bike in gear as an extra safety. Sounds like it's time for a center stand install.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
I'm willing to bet it's happening because of the cover catching all the wind. But yeah if the bike was lowered with the side stand not being cut, you'd likely have this problem as well. I had a Harley that was lowered about an inch and I ended up having to buy a different side stand to give it a little more lean when parked.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 PM

I don't know for sure but my 09 was outside with a cover 24/7 for 2 years except December-March. Many heavy winds, storms etc, never fell over.
Personally I'd keep an eye on it just in case somebody is messing with you.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Why would having it in gear have any affect on it falling over from the wind?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman73 View Post
I don't know for sure but my 09 was outside with a cover 24/7 for 2 years except December-March. Many heavy winds, storms etc, never fell over.
Personally I'd keep an eye on it just in case somebody is messing with you.

My neighbor at one time had his Buell parked outside with a cover and it blew over from the wind. I saw it happen but couldn't get out there in time to stop it. And the cover looked like it was acting as a sail and catching all the wind. So I think it's possible, you just got lucky.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
Why would having it in gear have any affect on it falling over from the wind?

Bike rolls and kick stand gives way...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
We live in the city and keep the bikes in the street. Last fall a car hit my bike (on surveillance camera) and knocked it over the kickstand. A few weeks ago my wife's brand new (60 miles) Versys was on it's side, when we went outside to sit it up we saw my bike on it's side, and three other bikes on their side, I assume someone went down the street and pushed them over. We have covers on ours and it's been so windy one of the covers ripped but never knocked over the bikes. Either way it sucks to find your bike on it's side, especially twice. My wife said she'd rather ride a scratched bike than not at all and I agree!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
My wife just reminded me of another time a few months ago we found my bike leaning against a car. That time it looked like they hit my bike while parking. We just make sure to park so we can see it from the apartment window.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Bike rolls and kick stand gives way...
Ah, yes, but the original poster stated that it fell on the right side.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
My neighbor at one time had his Buell parked outside with a cover and it blew over from the wind. I saw it happen but couldn't get out there in time to stop it. And the cover looked like it was acting as a sail and catching all the wind. So I think it's possible, you just got lucky.
Just got lucky everyday for 2 years? I think your neighbour just got unlucky.

james75 likes this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 AM

I had a bike blow over once.........it was parked by the end of a building and the wind really picked up speed coming around that corner. I had a shield on it (a GN400 Suzuki) but no cover.

Could be wind and it could be human..........
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM

A bike parked with the side stand engaged will blow over fairly easily to the right, and not so easily to the left. To the left, a sidestand will usually give you more stability than a center stand will. The solution is to use one of those bike prop stands on the right hand side of the bike so it can't tip over in that direction. As a bonus, those things can be used to raise your front or rear wheel for maintenance if you have no center stand. Great to have along on a trip.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It was in 1 gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode