Versys 650 tipped over by wind? Twice? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

I should ask, is this bike lowered, and if so did you shorten the side stand??
No, it's not lowered. And it has an original sidestand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for ideas, all! My brother was kind enough to let me park my bike in his garage. I'm waiting for parts and I hope I'll be back riding in a couple of weeks(the weather is crappy out here anyway
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmad View Post
Hi guys,

This actually happened to my 2016 Versys 650 yesterday. My bike was parked between several cars... and I found it tipped over to the right side. It was under bike cover. The sidestand was fully engaged and the front wheel was turned left and locked in this position. Yesterday winds were 10-15mph... I picked it up and returned to the same position just to find it laying again this morning... yep winds are stronger today... like up to 20-25mph... but no slopes... flat surface. Damage: handlebar is bent... and the cover that holds handlebar in place is cracked. I need to replace it. But is this possible at all? Or is it somebody who did this?
Thats pretty wild. I had my Versys outside in a parking lot with bike cover on in a storm with 40+ mph gusts and it was still standing in the morning, even the scooter parked next to it was fine. Side stand was also fully engaged and front wheel left and locked. I find it hard to believe the find knocked your bike over given that it was slower than the winds my bike was hit with. Does your bike stand up straighter with the side stand engaged? The only reason I can see is if the bike wasn't leaning enough and just a little wind was enough to tip it over. Otherwise foul play may have been involved?
Metalmad likes this.

Devin Lu - 2009 Versys

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM

I actually picked up my new 2016 Monday and one of the things I noticed immediately was the up right position of the bike while on the side stand vs other bikes that I have owned. While the swing of the side stand in the forward position is fine, the upright angle of the bike is cause for concern. Several Suzuki's that I have owned tended to have a short swing on the side stand but still retained enough bike angle to keep the bike upright. A aftermarket center stand may be the only answer.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
I actually picked up my new 2016 Monday and one of the things I noticed immediately was the up right position of the bike while on the side stand vs other bikes that I have owned. While the swing of the side stand in the forward position is fine, the upright angle of the bike is cause for concern. Several Suzuki's that I have owned tended to have a short swing on the side stand but still retained enough bike angle to keep the bike upright. A aftermarket center stand may be the only answer.
... or a shorter side stand.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Start parking the bike so the prevailing wind will load the sidestand, not lift it, if it still gets "blown over" it's not the wind.
Metalmad likes this.

2016 VERSYS 650 LT
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmad View Post
Hi guys,

This actually happened to my 2016 Versys 650 yesterday. My bike was parked between several cars... and I found it tipped over to the right side. It was under bike cover. The sidestand was fully engaged and the front wheel was turned left and locked in this position. Yesterday winds were 10-15mph... I picked it up and returned to the same position just to find it laying again this morning... yep winds are stronger today... like up to 20-25mph... but no slopes... flat surface. Damage: handlebar is bent... and the cover that holds handlebar in place is cracked. I need to replace it. But is this possible at all? Or is it somebody who did this?
It takes a lot more wind than that to tip over your bike. With high winds park it next to a building where it is more sheltered. Parked between cars it would not be exposed to wind at all. Someone is tipping over your bike! Much, much higher winds will not tip over your bike, even with a sail of a cover on it. My previous Versys went through a hurricane parked outside with a cover on. The wind ripped the cover off and blew it a block away but the bike did not get tipped over.
Metalmad likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It takes a lot more wind than that to tip over your bike. With high winds park it next to a building where it is more sheltered. Parked between cars it would not be exposed to wind at all. Someone is tipping over your bike! Much, much higher winds will not tip over your bike, even with a sail of a cover on it. My previous Versys went through a hurricane parked outside with a cover on. The wind ripped the cover off and blew it a block away but the bike did not get tipped over.
I'm guessing the winds were blowing on the right side of your bike so it was pushing against the side stand...

Here in Kansas being windy is the norm. My first bike, a Honda Shadow, sat lower and was heavier than a Versys. However, with a cover on it blew over twice when I owned it. I now have a Vulcan 900, which is even heavier. Not wanting to take chances, I place a jack stand under the right side foot peg when I am at home so it can't tip either way.
onewizard and Metalmad like this.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 AM

I went fishing yesterday (warm but breezy-10-15 mph) and went past a Vulcan 750 parked in a driveway. Fished for about 3 hours and headed home. The Vulcan 750 was laying on it's side when I came back past. There "might" have been a gust up to 20-25 mph. If the wind hits the bike just right it's going to go over.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Physics says this is impossible!

If the cover formed a perfect sail, that is it cupped or formed a perfectly flat surface the wind could not roll off of, instead forming to the shape of the bike it was pressed against, it would generate 2.3pounds / square foot at 30mph and most of this would be applied low on the bike where it has less leverage. Try pressing on the vertical mid point (top of engine block) hard enough to lift the bike off the kickstand. Most of you will not be strong enough to do this. Since the bike is leaned, the sail effect of a cover becomes even further reduced. It's like the slope of a windshield. Physics says a 30-40mph wind will not cause a bike to tip over even if it has a cover and the wind hits directly in the side. If it is sheltered between cars the force of the wind will be orders of magnitude less. A bike without a cover only projects a minuscule few square feet of area the wind cannot pass through.

My guess is people are confusing the propensity for the kickstand to sink in soft earth or hot asphalt with wind loading. The kickstand foot has ~150lb of weight on it, pressed on a foot that only has an area of 1sq inch. If your bike is falling over put a piece of wood or something else under the kickstand to spread the weight over a larger area.
Metalmad likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode