thoughts on running a Metzler Tourance 130/80 rear on the FRONT! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

thoughts on running a Metzler Tourance 130/80 rear on the FRONT!

During my 'just-finished' 720 mile ride thru S and SE AZ, I got a bit tired of hearing my Tourance 130/80 (rear) on the front of BIG RED "HOWLING" at speeds above 50, so I planned to remove it and install the SHINKO E705 in the same size yesterday. I, of course, used zip-ties to make the job MUCH easier, took a few pics, and here are some observations:

1. That Metzler was reputed to be 'good' for as much as 36,000 miles by 'Gary' in S America, years ago. Because I only ride my '08 for roughly half the year, it took me just OVER 5 years (09 Feb '12 to 25 Feb '17, w/ a 'break' of a year while I used some knobbies riding w/ "jdrocks") to acquire a TOTAL of 28,799 miles. I measured the remaining rubber, and came up w/ .141" minimum near the center, .271" at the sides.

2. I 'used' the tire to the point that I couldn't see much in the way of "chicken-strips", and it never 'let-me-down', cornering well on pavement and dirt.

3. I was noticing a minimal amount of 'cracking' along the tread-blocks, probably as a result of the FIVE years I used it, and figured I'd get rid of the 'howling' AND 'cracking' w/ a new SHINKO.

Some observations on the SHINKO:

1. I've heard the opinions that you should 'reverse' the direction of the tire when you put a rear onto a front wheel, but, like many others (jdrocks, for instance) I have ALWAYS installed them w/ the 'directional-arrow' pointing forward, and that includes the SHINKO on the front wheel of the GREEN HORNET TOO in BC (however, a FRONT 120/70), and used it to Alaska last June. Imagine my surprise to see the 130/80 'sporting' TWO sets of 'directional-arrows', different directions depending on whether it's used front or rear!

2. I installed a 90 degree valve stem during the 'install' (same as I have on the rear wheel) and when checking rotation after, I kept hearing a 'click'. On further inspection I determined that the valve stem was JUST long enough to 'foul' my brake-caliper, so I turned it to follow the direction of the wheel - STILL easier to use than the OEM shorties.

I went for a ride this AM and am glad to report that I did NOT hear any howling...!

I will say that I got VERY good value from however many $ that Tourance cost me.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-20-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM

I believe the tire thread is direction specific for propulsion load handling on the rear, and inversely for braking loads in the front. It's also for enhanced water evacuation, especially under such loads.

That's one hell of a valve stem... Looks heavy and dangerous.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM

my tourance on the front howls too. i am on my 2nd one. 42k miles total. it has been a great tire for stability and corners great, but the whine it makes between 48 and 62 mph is getting old. as you lean into a corner and get up on the sidewall a little, the noise goes away until you straighten out.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

marc - I agree w/ the speeds you posted that yours "howls" at. Pretty much identical to mine.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I believe the tire thread is direction specific for propulsion load handling on the rear, and inversely for braking loads in the front. It's also for enhanced water evacuation, especially under such loads.

That's one hell of a valve stem... Looks heavy and dangerous.
Front tire is pattern is for max braking traction. Rear tire pattern is for max acceleration traction.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
During my 'just-finished' 720 mile ride thru S and SE AZ, I got a bit tired of hearing my Tourance 130/80 (rear) on the front
What benefit is accrued by running a rear tire on the front?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
It allows using tires that are more off-road capable, such as the venerable Metzeler Tourance... Rear tire is mounted reversed in the front to better handle braking traction, as opposed to acceleration traction.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
It allows using tires that are more off-road capable, such as the venerable Metzeler Tourance... Rear tire is mounted reversed in the front to better handle braking traction, as opposed to acceleration traction.
So why not just run a Metzler Tourance front tire on the front?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Good luck with that.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Good luck with that.
Ah 17" rim. I get it.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Front tire is pattern is for max braking traction. Rear tire pattern is for max acceleration traction.
Understood, however quite a LOT of us have used them w/ the directional-arrow pointed the same way as if it was on the rear, and have had NO problems w/ traction that way... and over MANY miles.

Quote:
Same rolling diameter (ACTUALLY slightly MORE) as running a 19" 120/70 but W/OUT having to buy another rim, plus, 'flotation' in sandy areas.

Quote:
See my comments above.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah 17" rim. I get it.

Ed

..)

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Understood, however quite a LOT of us have used them w/ the directional-arrow pointed the same way as if it was on the rear, and have had NO problems w/ traction that way... and over MANY miles.
A buddy of mine and our wives rented Goldwings to tour around BC on. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere between the top of the scenic Rockies and Kelowna, he decided to have a look at his rear tire. It was shot. We're talking threads. I followed them better than a hundred miles in pouring rain. That tire still threw water off the sides like it was brand new.
One can get away with a lot with tires. Hell, there's a large number of people riding big cruisers and tourers that run car tires. Very versatile and robust equipment...today's tires.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
During my 'just-finished' 720 mile ride thru S and SE AZ, I got a bit tired of hearing my Tourance 130/80 (rear) on the front of BIG RED "HOWLING" at speeds above 50, so I planned to remove it and install the SHINKO E705 in the same size yesterday.
I've been looking at possibly getting some Shinko E705s and I found that they have the stock size for the front tire. Any reason you stuck with the 130/80?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
I've been looking at possibly getting some Shinko E705s and I found that they have the stock size for the front tire. Any reason you stuck with the 130/80?
Yes, there is: I had already raised the front fender on my '08 to run the Tourance in 130/80, so I just bought the same size to replace it.

OTOH - for my '15 - BECAUSE of the ABS I didn't want to "mess" w/ the various brake/ABS lines to raise the fender, so it's running a 120/70 front.

Ed

..)

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, there is: I had already raised the front fender on my '08 to run the Tourance in 130/80, so I just bought the same size to replace it.
Makes sense, I was just wondering if there was some other benefit that I hadn't thought of. Sticking with the stock size then
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:30 AM

can you please give an update on the handling and stability of the bike since you have changed over to a 130/80 on the front ? I am planning on going in for a Hidenau K60 130/80 rear tire to use on the front as I already have a K60 150/70 on the rear .. please advise ..
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

From what I've read - I would NOT run a rear K60 on the front of MY bikes!!!

Ed

..)

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Those angled valve stems work great but the are normally mounted with tip sticking out to the right side (opposite side as kickstand) to make for easier filling and not having to fight for clearance with brake rotors when getting the air hose in.

Did you use a device for aligning the rim tape on your rim? If so what was it?

Last edited by twowheels; 04-20-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode