Revision to / lowered 2015 650 abs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

12Likes
  • 3 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 2 Post By Speedy Gonzalez
  • 1 Post By BKP
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Revision to / lowered 2015 650 abs

Rather than edit everything, it is appearing that I have a 1 off, as many have mentioned a Corbin seat from an 07 will fit the 2015, my Corbin would not fit my 2015. Whether I caused the shift in the wire harness or it was from the factory ( which I think, because I don't cut wire ties anywhere on a 45' angle which is what was under the seat. I have several Panduit wire tie tools , in fact one of my posts for the Polaris regulator has the GTS in the picture posted)

Since I like to be proactive I thought it prudent to bring this to the attention of the members, FYI in my case it would take probably 30,000 KM to cause damage if I left the wire harness the way it was. Since 100% of the replies have found lots of clearance, accept this as the same thing discussed about a tight chain. Speedy mentions to loosen the rear axle before lowering, many have commented that the chain if adjusted properly shouldn't need loosening, well I followed Speedy's direction, however the axle nut was still hand tight, and my chain was tight also, before I loosened it. So anyone sitting on the fence in regards to this lowering link process, there never ever was a problem, and that goes for anything from Moto Werk, I think I have everything made for a 2015 except the bar riser.

I am posting this as have a look, to all 2015 Lowered owners. The wire harness everywhere is short TAKE NOTE KAWASAKI even a inch longer wire on everything / every connector, would make a 100% difference.

I think I should have put more emphasis on the wire ties, as this was the root cause and is a problem on my 2015, around the airbox on both sides.
What I found was a wire tie below the seat bracket ( you may need to remove the seat bracket) that wire tie was pushing the harness downward, there is a heavy wire tie in front of this bracket and is inserted into the bike frame, into a hole provided for this.

I have posted this in the how to forum , but thought it important enough to post.
If you have lowered a 2015 with speedy or other lowering link, you have made all your rear shock adjustments, have a CLOSE LOOK at the top of the rear shock, with the seat removed, and the plastic off,my squared edge was tight against the main harness, and was in fact wearing into the harness.

What I did; cut the rear wire tie, used a large slot screwdriver and pried up on the harness, and inserted 2 100 LB wire ties, set my tie wrap gun to maximum and while prying up on the harness, I tightened the ties. What a POS

FYI between the air box and other problems I ran into doing the valve shim, plus this latest, I am up to 14, of the 100LB wire ties, correcting the install of POS wire harness. Dam good thing there isn't a Kawi rep knocking on my door like Bell Telephone does, I would recommend putting in ear plugs andno best not ring the door bell, may accidentally let the guard dog out, only problem is he may lick them to death

One last edit March 2017, my standard of wiring may differ to that of Kawasaki

Last edited by onewizard; 03-17-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 PM

Excellent!
Do you have pics or a link to these 100 lb wire ties?
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

100 LB Cable Ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Excellent!
Do you have pics or a link to these 100 lb wire ties?
Thanks!
T&B , Burndy, Panduit. I did a quick search, correction, they are rated at 120LB now, for years I went through thousands of cable ties, ty-rap ( T&B product description ty27mx , ultra violet inhibited}
Here is a good link, available in 8 inch and longer, only use clear cable ties inside areas where exposure to UV rays will not occur Generally I use black almost 90% of the time!

https://www.uline.ca/BL_3209/Black-UV-Cable-Ties You can buy small package quantities at any electrical wholesaler
http://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/uv-re...cable-ties.php
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-23-2017 at 06:15 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
T&B , Burndy, Panduit. I did a quick search, correction, they are rated at 120LB now, for years I went through thousands of cable ties, ty-rap ( T&B product description ty27mx , ultra violet inhibited}
Here is a good link, available in 8 inch and longer, only use clear cable ties inside areas where exposure to UV rays will not occur Generally I use black almost 90% of the time!

https://www.uline.ca/BL_3209/Black-UV-Cable-Ties You can buy small package quantities at any electrical wholesaler
UV Resistant, Black Cable Ties, Zip Ties, Tie Wraps
Thank you!!!

Would a high quality tie wrap gun be a "must have" or could an inexpensive one similar to this one at Harbor Freight do the job?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Panduit GS4H

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Thank you!!!

Would a high quality tie wrap gun be a "must have" or could an inexpensive one similar to this one at Harbor Freight do the job?
If you are only installing 10 or 15 of the 120 LB ty-raps, a pair of needle nose and a pair of linesmen pliers will work. The needle nose are used like a sardine can opener to tighten, once tight, place the linesmen pliers on the tail of the wire tie in the same manner as if pulling to tighten, except, get them as close to the head of the wire tie, what you do is twist the linesmen, which shears off the excess and no sharp edges are left. T&B makes twist off wire ties now, using the same method.

The gun that I use for 95% of all my work is a Panduit GTS Aircraft tools Panduit tie wrap gun # GTS. | eBay
I use the GS4H for the 120LB and up wire ties. I also have several GS2B which is similar to the GTS. Just be carefull, the 120LB is 8mm or 5/16, most of those cheap guns only work to 1/4 inch wide maximum. The Gts and GS2B are for 50 LB and smaller wire ties.
quexpress likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 PM

Every time I try wire ties they seem to snap or slip with even low tension, even the large ones. For this reason I'm back to using "professional quality" electrical tape for the same thing as it seems to be stronger and stand up better.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Good Quality/Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Every time I try wire ties they seem to snap or slip with even low tension, even the large ones. For this reason I'm back to using "professional quality" electrical tape for the same thing as it seems to be stronger and stand up better.
I can crush a pop can, filled, with the 120LB wire ties, just don't want to be very close. The 50 lb will deform the wiring on the smaller extensions of the motorcycle harness. You will never be able to raise the harness in the area this alert is for with tape. Let me say, I had a bag of 1000 of the 120 LB Burndy wire ties, that either slipped or broke, Burndy replaced them. This is getting slightly off track, but I used the black 120 and 50 LB wire ties under extreme conditions, these conditions were in a gravel pit on the crushers, on the conveyors and on the stackers, some was teck cable some SOOW cab tire , all held up by these wire ties. They work and work for years, I came across some that had been exposed to the sun for 10 years, and to stone dust, FYI acid will attack the black UV outdoor wire ties. The clear ones will fail in less than a year if exposed to UV.
So to sum it up, even brand names make crap once in a while.

1st photo shows the harness resting on the shock, with the single wire tie installed in July 2016.
2nd photo is the harness pried up with a heavy screwdriver
3rd photo is the harness with 2 of the 120LB wire ties installed ( the wire tie from 2016 had been removed, as the harness is really hard to move, wires stiffen from heat, so I needed to reshape, having the tie in place restricted that)
4th is a overall photo of the completed wiring , waiting to install the gas tank and put stuff back together. Probably another 8 hours and vroom vroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170218_172258595.jpgshock 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	115641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170218_172408153.jpg shock 2b.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	115649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170223_124124033.jpg shock 3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	115657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170223_165916767.jpg final.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	115665  

Last edited by onewizard; 02-24-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Adding Photos/ back on Track
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 PM

Did you contact Speedy about this?
If so, what did they say...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 AM

I looked at my 2015 yesterday that has been lowered and it doesn't look to be a problem that I can tell. I guess time will tell.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 AM

I knew there was a reason I didn't want to lower my bike...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Due Diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorroBay View Post
Did you contact Speedy about this?
If so, what did they say...
First, no I didn't contact him, what I don't know if this is just my bike or a few off the assembly line. I know a Corbin seat from my 07 won't fit on my bike, yet others say it fits their 2015. Also I had previously added wiring in March of 2016, and can't say for sure that I created this change. No question as to the length of the wiring as many others have said the same thing, where the wiring could have been a inch longer at each connector.I felt it was the right thing to do as to posting a possible / potential problem. This is easily fixed, and would only be a problem over a long period of time if not inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I looked at my 2015 yesterday that has been lowered and it doesn't look to be a problem that I can tell. I guess time will tell.
Thanks for posting, I only noticed this on my lift, as I had about 200 LB force on the ratchet tie downs. The more people that post that they have lowered and don't have a problem, the more it indicates I probably created the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I knew there was a reason I didn't want to lower my bike...
Anything that Speedy makes is 100%, like I said in this post, I may have created the problem, but thought it may be like that on other lowered bikes, only takes a couple minutes to check, which is better than being stranded at the side of the road wondering why you hadn't noticed the magic smoke escaping until now
chrisfla1 likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Anything that Speedy makes is 100%, like I said in this post, I may have created the problem, but thought it may be like that on other lowered bikes, only takes a couple minutes to check, which is better than being stranded at the side of the road wondering why you hadn't noticed the magic smoke escaping until now
Have a lowering kit installed and this is what it looks like. Okay?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-01 at 09.41.35.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	116281  

Last edited by onewizard; 02-28-2017 at 11:37 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Can you get a close up of the top of the shock, shiny aluminum , squared edge? Just right of the hydraulic line from the adjuster. Which is my first photo.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-28-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Can you get a close up of the top of the shock, shiny aluminum , squared edge? Just right of the hydraulic line from the adjuster. Which is my first photo.
Here you go...BTW, I am UNABLE TO SEE any pictures on this post apart from mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-01 at 11.19.02.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	116289   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-01 at 11.18.59.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	116297   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-01 at 11.17.10.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	116305   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-01 at 11.17.06.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	116313  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trim in the way

Couple things, the photos I have may take a few seconds to show, lust used Mozilla, logged out, says thumbnails, then about 5 seconds later they load. The picture I need is behind the black plastic trim, the very top of the shock, and it can only be viewed correctly from the foot brake side. It involves removing 1 screw and unclipping the plastic. The area I am looking at is almost directly below but forward of the cross member by the helmet hook, you need to view up at a 45' angle, with the trim off, I caught it because I had my bike on the lift and it was 30 inches off the ground, almost eye level.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM

I just checked my 15' yesterday and it looks good.........no visible contact with the wire bundle and I was unable to get any movement out of the wire bundle (up or down). My zip ties are forward and aft from the shock top.
onewizard likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
First, no I didn't contact him, what I don't know if this is just my bike or a few off the assembly line. I know a Corbin seat from my 07 won't fit on my bike, yet others say it fits their 2015. Also I had previously added wiring in March of 2016, and can't say for sure that I created this change. No question as to the length of the wiring as many others have said the same thing, where the wiring could have been a inch longer at each connector.I felt it was the right thing to do as to posting a possible / potential problem. This is easily fixed, and would only be a problem over a long period of time if not inspected.

Thanks for posting, I only noticed this on my lift, as I had about 200 LB force on the ratchet tie downs. The more people that post that they have lowered and don't have a problem, the more it indicates I probably created the problem.

Just found your post; I guess I don't check the forum often enough anymore.
I'm pretty sure that this is an isolated issue. Nobody has ever reported this to me and I have never had that problem with my 2015 V650LT.
I've inspected quite a few of the 3rd gen bikes with the lowering kit installed and have not seen it at all. Like you wrote, the change in wiring that you did most likely created your problem.

Best
onewizard and 407guy like this.

Speedy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 AM
BKP

Just checked mine... no issue... But, thanks for the heads up.
onewizard likes this.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Garage
Ditto. Just checked my lowered LT with it on the side stand and the wiring harness has plenty of clearance from the shock.
onewizard likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 03-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Edited first Post

On top of posts, I have received emails and PM's concerning this thread. One thing I should point out, this harness would be a problem without the lowering link, just not as severe. I completed all my wiring over a week ago , one thing I plan on doing is looking at another 2015 wiring harness. I mentioned in a earlier post about something I created, further inspection, I couldn't have created this nor would I have any reason to be in that area, that location the harness travels under the cross frame member, all my wiring was front left, front headlight and rear taillight area. So come summer I will look at a few more as something doesn't add up with my 2015.

So thanks to all that posted
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode